Amtrak potential service reduction due to staff shortage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet. I've seen several sources that Amtrak is planning to reduce back to 3 day a week operating schedule due to staffing issues. Expect an announcement later this month.

Triweekly supposed to start mid December and run at least through March. This is apparently set in stone and will not changed even if rates increase between now and then. A big problem is vaccination rates among OBS based out of Chicago. Word is that the trains that do run will be 14+ cars long to accommodate changing reservations

Triweekly supposed to start mid December and run at least through March. This is apparently set in stone and will not changed even if rates increase between now and then. A big problem is vaccination rates among OBS based out of Chicago. Word is that the trains that do run will be 14+ cars long to accommodate changing reservations
Source?

Are there any more details, such as whether the same set of routes as last time are impacted and whether the departure dates will be the same?

I work in the Pacific Northwest. This is coming from local managers and union reps alike. New jobs are currently being built for conductors and engineers to accommodate the triweekly shift, as well as possible cuts to state services.

Are there any more details, such as whether the same set of routes as last time are impacted and whether the departure dates will be the same?

I would guess that the departure dates would be the same. Only routes I know for sure are the Starlight and Zephyr. Probably the Builder as well.

Do you know the date in mid December that the tri-weekly schedules will allegedly start?

Mid-December is all I've been told. Nothing official or in writing as of now so of course it should be subject to change.

Interesting news. Is the deadline still 11/22?

In other industries, mandates so far have built hype on workers refusing the vaccine, but when it comes down to it, most people end up getting it because they want to keep their jobs. No benefits, no unemployment.

Well,this sucks.I have a big circle trip planned for late January. I got the Sunset/Eagle for low bucket. I'll have to reschedule around that route. Guess I'll hear from Amtrak in the near future.

Well,this sucks.I have a big circle trip planned for late January. I got the Sunset/Eagle for low bucket. I'll have to reschedule around that route. Guess I'll hear from Amtrak in the near future.
I am hoping my circle trip for early December is still on. I have not heard anything to the contrary from Amtrak.

Not to panic anyone but I read on the RPA website that there is some discussion at Amtrak on the necessity of returning to three day per week service. It alluded to a severe staffing shortage as the cause. Anyone here heard anything?

Not to panic anyone but I read on the RPA website that there is some discussion at Amtrak on the necessity of returning to three day per week service. It alluded to a severe staffing shortage as the cause. Anyone here heard anything?
Already several reports on this forum and in this topic. Someone from Instagram also told me the Surfline has been effected, stating some trains were down to one engineer and one conductor (not sure about OBS). Can’t confirm this though.

By "staffing issues" do you mean the mandate wars? Supposedly the meltdowns at AA and WN were for this reason. I believe the federal mandate has been pushed back to January, which should help keep things running for the holidays, but at some point the remaining antivaxxers will presumably choose unemployment over inoculation and Amtrak will need time to hire and train replacement staff.

Trust me it was not a mandate war at AA. There were many other forces at play.

Regarding the potential service reductions, I'm curious why all LD services would be reduced to tri-weekly. If it is strictly because of crew shortages, it seems doubtful that they would be uniform on each route or that they would all warrant a service reduction of over 50%. Even 5 days weekly for example would be sigmicantly better than tri-weekly. Also, would the Auto Train be reduced this time alongside the other LDs?

It won’t be tri-weekly across the board. I have be heard the proposals for two routes, and it will be looked at on each route.

I work in the Pacific Northwest. This is coming from local managers and union reps alike. New jobs are currently being built for conductors and engineers to accommodate the triweekly shift, as well as possible cuts to state services.
I would guess that the departure dates would be the same. Only routes I know for sure are the Starlight and Zephyr. Probably the Builder as well.
Mid-December is all I've been told. Nothing official or in writing as of now so of course it should be subject to change.

Can I ask what station you’re based out of? There’s been no determination made this far, and it has been nothing but scare tactics thus far. They will be looking at vaccination rates in each area, and make a determination on what they need to do. This will be announced internally “mid-November”.

Also, if OBS vaccination rates is said to be the reason behind causing train service to be cut, 14+ car trains don’t make any sense, as there will be an increase in the required OBS for trains that long.

The biggest cause for cut backs are many of the more remote T&E crew bases, as well as an unfortunate portion of mechanical staff. So even if we have the T&E and OBS to crew a train, we may not have the necessary mechanical staffing to maintain it.

Actually, with both crew shortages and maintenance backlogs this might make good sense if limited to three months. That assumes, of course, that Amtrak will be able to hire and train the necessary staff in a "picky" labor market.

It won’t be tri-weekly across the board. I have be heard the proposals for two routes, and it will be looked at on each route.

Can I ask what station you’re based out of? There’s been no determination made this far, and it has been nothing but scare tactics thus far. They will be looking at vaccination rates in each area, and make a determination on what they need to do. This will be announced internally “mid-November”.

Also, if OBS vaccination rates is said to be the reason behind causing train service to be cut, 14+ car trains don’t make any sense, as there will be an increase in the required OBS for trains that long.

The biggest cause for cut backs are many of the more remote T&E crew bases, as well as an unfortunate portion of mechanical staff. So even if we have the T&E and OBS to crew a train, we may not have the necessary mechanical staffing to maintain it.
Thanks for the info Triley.

If it is OBS shortages then just move office personnel to assistant staff the trains. Maybe then these personnel will appreciate who they are working for. T&E is more difficult.

Eagle probably one of the 3 day a week and maybe a Silver ?

Eagle probably one of the 3 day a week and maybe a Silver ?
Oh I'm sure there will be more than that, I can see most, if not all Western routes being reduced due to the vast amount of territory they cover and therefore the more operating crews they require.

About rural T&E crews refusing the vaccine, someone on here made a list of probably problem areas, not sure where though.

Trust me it was not a mandate war at AA. There were many other forces at play.
I wish you could speak frankly since I would like to know more about what is going on from the inside. I agree the antivax narrative struggles to explain this many delays and cancellations on its own but some factors like paused separation for exception requests did seem to line up.

This is not accurate.
Well that clears it up.

Was told yesterday direct from the top that Coast Starlight and Zephyr going triweekly starting the week after Thanksgiving until at least March. Longer trains will be ran to accommodate passengers with changed reservations

I have a CZ trip connecting to the CS the next day in late January. if this is true,I hope Amtrak gets in touch soon.
And if on the same tri-weekly COVID schedule, my Coast Starlight trip will have to be altered. This will be the second time we'll have to change it.

Why only these two trains which are arguably Amtrak's most popular? Why not the SW Chief? You can get to LA from Chicago using the Eagle and the Chief. Any word on the Eastern trains?

Why only these two trains which are arguably Amtrak's most popular? Why not the SW Chief? You can get to LA from Chicago using the Eagle and the Chief. Any word on the Eastern trains?
Because I believe it will be on a train-by-train basis, if crews are available for the Chief but not the Starlight then they reduce the Starlight, and not the Chief. And whose to say that the Chief and Eagle isn't also being reduced?

Was told yesterday direct from the top that Coast Starlight and Zephyr going triweekly starting the week after Thanksgiving until at least March. Longer trains will be ran to accommodate passengers with changed reservations
Do you know which three days 14 and 6 will be running? I have reservations on both (as part of a large cross country circle trip) the week after Thanksgiving. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back