Amtrak Pennsylvanian Fleet Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak57

Train Attendant
For the last week or so, I've noticed that the Pennsylvanian has had an all Amfleet 1 constant with no more Amfleet 2 long distance coaches. Basically the Pennsylvanian is the same as the Carolinian, 4 Amfleet 1 coaches, 1 Amfleet 1 cafe, 1 Amfleet 1 BC car and 1 Viewliner Baggage car. Why was it changed and is this change temporary or permanent?

Last edited:
It's been that way since early December and I believe it stays that way until at least February. I don't know what happens after that.

For the last week or so, I've noticed that the Pennsylvanian has had an all Amfleet 1 constant with no more Amfleet 2 long distance coaches. Basically the Pennsylvanian is the same as the Carolinian, 4 Amfleet 1 coaches, 1 Amfleet 1 cafe, 1 Amfleet 1 BC car and 1 Viewliner Baggage car. Why was it changed and is this change temporary or permanent?

Why would the Pennsylvanian have a baggage car? Is a change coming on that route allowing checked baggage? That would be great for all of us who travel to points west of Pittsburgh.

Is it possible that the Pennsylvanian shares a consist with Trains 79/80 instead of 89/90??
It is possible but seems to make less sense. The main reason for consist sharing of Palmetto with Pennsy was to give more time to service a late arriving Palmetto by using the consist of Pennsy for the next day's early departing Palmetto. The Carolinian does not face the potential short turnaround for late arriving consist as badly as the Palmetto does.

I was on 90 from RVR-ALX yesterday and while I didn’t get a great look at the whole consist, it looked like it was all Amfleet Is which surprised me for the length of the route. (And, where did the Am IIs go?)

I was on 90 from RVR-ALX yesterday and while I didn’t get a great look at the whole consist, it looked like it was all Amfleet Is which surprised me for the length of the route. (And, where did the Am IIs go?)

It wouldn't surprise me. Yesterday was the 15th. That means 90's consist turned from 89(14), which is impacted by 90(13). A quick peek at 90(13) indicates it arrived -81" late. Typically, 90 turns for 89 but it is over an hour late, they start looking at moving 42's equipment for the through section and a keystone for the local section. Since 43/42 are running with AM-1s, that is what you'd get.

I rode 89 and 90 a couple weeks ago. It had AM-II’s.

Anyone know why baggage cars are on the rear. It would be nice to have a buffer from the engine for first coach with horn blowing for all grade crossings in the Carolinas.

Anyone know why baggage cars are on the rear. It would be nice to have a buffer from the engine for first coach with horn blowing for all grade crossings in the Carolinas.

They often remove equipment off 89 in WAS and add equipment to 90 in Was. With the baggage car on the rear, they can accomplish this at the same time they perform the normal engine change.

Back