Amtrak potential service reduction due to staff shortage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here (except for email timestamp and travel date).
I saw a similar post and it was about checked baggage service being RESTORED at Denver.
And that's what it was in this case. Why Amtrak thought I should call to be told what could have been included in an email is a mystery to me. Also, Julie asked me to confirm my reservation number (which was in the email that told me to call), and then read it back to me and asked if it was correct, and then asked me if I was calling about the itinerary associated with that reservation number. Then, Julie could have said, "Oh, I see we are now offering checked baggage again." But no, Julie said to hold for an agent. All-in-all, it was rather customer-unfriendly.

On the plus side, the wait-noise all music (albeit poor quality); there were no advertisements or assurances that my call was very important. And when an agent did come on the line, she spoke English well and had a sense of humor.

Contrary to the reports in The awful experience of being on hold with Amtrak, I was not offered a call-back option. Maybe that's a package deal with announcements, advertisements, and assurances that a call is very important.

“This is remarkable progress — and we anticipate that between now and Jan. 4, we will get even closer to a 100% vaccination rate, which remains our goal and our policy.”
Flynn

This sort of corporate BS still makes me laugh. How do you quantify "closer to a 100% vaccination rate"? 0.001% more than the current rate? Technically, it would satisfy his quote.

Even is every operating person is fully vaccinated & masked do not expect all trains to run. With Omocron and less Delta there are too many changes of break through infections. They or another variant may get at least a few bases to not having enough operating personnel.

“This is remarkable progress — and we anticipate that between now and Jan. 4, we will get even closer to a 100% vaccination rate, which remains our goal and our policy.”
Flynn

This sort of corporate BS still makes me laugh. How do you quantify "closer to a 100% vaccination rate"? 0.001% more than the current rate? Technically, it would satisfy his quote.
I looked up the quote and the "remarkable progress" he's talking about is in reference to 97.3% of the workforce having at least one vaccine dose and 95.7% being fully vaccinated. He also anticipated more employees being vaccinated between December 14th and January 4th. So which part is "BS" and how does your own employer compare to this?

So what is his team anticipating? Going from 95.7% fully vaccinated to 95.725% by January 4th? It is "even closer" to 100%, no? I am just tired of the entire response at this point.
And when a leader of any sort stands up and says nothing but does so with an air of authority it just irritates me. A simple statement that "we expect 98% of the employees that have received one dose as of today will be able to follow through and be fully immunized by Jan 4, bringing us very close to 97.3% fully immunized by that time." would at least show you what the Amtrak team is aiming to achieve.
I was an independent contractor (Realtor) until I retired early this year and our vaccination status was our own business, though we were encouraged to get vaccinated. I seldom had a client ask, but I generally told them I had been vaccinated early in the process. Some told me their status, some didn't. Every Realtor had their own "policy" and every client was free to make their own as well.
The days when Realtors got in the car with clients are pretty much over. We meet to see homes but we each drive our own cars to the house in most cases. And even home showings are done by video fairly frequently now, though I think that it is hard to really get a good feel for the condition of the home that way.
I looked up the quote and the "remarkable progress" he's talking about is in reference to 97.3% of the workforce having at least one vaccine dose and 95.7% being fully vaccinated. He also anticipated more employees being vaccinated between December 14th and January 4th. So which part is "BS" and how does your own employer compare to this?

Here is a possibility that deserves thought. Imagine somewhere on all the LD routes. Several T&E persons are out sick or in quarantine reducing that crew base with no spare persons. Would you send a train thru that base on the off chance that one more person might have to call in marked off? What happens to the train and its passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back