Amtrak potential service reduction due to staff shortage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why. :confused:

Did they just like to run below the speed limit? Were they overly cautious about curves & switches? Chronically late for work?
I don't have a scientific answer but after I started hearing about it and made some excursions out to DIA it was mostly losing time at stops by forgetting to make announcements, overly long stops, misjudging their speed into the phase break outside of Union Station, and yes, underspeed perhaps as a way of avoiding PTC violations. There is lots of single track in the system and the schedule adherence of everyone is critical.

When the schedules were being worked out with the contractor, they initially tried to have adherence measured like the bogus method used by Eastern commuter railroads (logging the time at terminals). Perhaps they thought we'd be impressed. Our light rail and buses are measured at every time point by German technology. The non-CBD riders transferring with bus or other rail lines deserve reliable service, not just the passengers going in and out of Union Station.

Subsequently things have gotten better, but I do know that some of their operators went back to freight railroading in spite of its unpredictable, weird hours and other burdens.

l am seeing reports that the long distance trains may have service problems due to the mandate. Would this result in late trains or fewer car attendants? l am trying to see lf l should go to Florida with a friend but returning after Jan 5? What are your opinions.

l am seeing reports that the long distance trains may have service problems due to the mandate. Would this result in late trains or fewer car attendants? l am trying to see lf l should go to Florida with a friend but returning after Jan 5? What are your opinions.
I have a trip booked on the Zephyr from Chi to Sac,the Starlight to LA and the Sunset/Eagle to Chi in late January. The SL only runs three x a week,so I know that won't be changed. If the Starlight isnt running on my travel day I can take the San Joaquin and bus. My only concern is the Capitol Ltd to get to and from Chicago. Worst case scenario is an overnight in Chicago.

Speaking of staff shortages: Amtrak HR department too understaffed to handle planned hiring, report says.
Amtrak’s Human Resources department does not have sufficient staff to handle the company’s plans to add up to 3,500 employees this fiscal year, the Amtrak Office of the Inspector General says in a report issued Thursday.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...staffed-to-handle-planned-hiring-report-says/

I have a trip booked on the Zephyr from Chi to Sac,the Starlight to LA and the Sunset/Eagle to Chi in late January. The SL only runs three x a week,so I know that won't be changed. If the Starlight isnt running on my travel day I can take the San Joaquin and bus. My only concern is the Capitol Ltd to get to and from Chicago. Worst case scenario is an overnight in Chicago.

Are we sure the already tri-weekly trains will be unaffected? I imagine their crew bases could be even more skeletal.

Reactions: Cal
Are we sure the already tri-weekly trains will be unaffected? I imagine their crew bases could be even more skeletal.
They could certainly be affected. If they don't have the staff available to run the train it is unlikely it will run. On the flip side, according to RPA, what they have learned from Amtrak management is that across the board service reduction to tri-weekly is unlikely. Cutbacks will be more surgical based on actual availability or lack thereof of staff.

If the 95% number is accurate and what RPA is saying is accurate then it would be highly unlikely that there would be a large amount of cut. But of course we will see.

Reading on Trainorders that they have yanked the 2nd LSA off the Crescent's dinette car. On 19's Dec 12th trip, the cash register was broken and could not serve coach passengers either. Some OBS people on the Silver trains are saying to expect Crescent and Cardinal to both be suspended entirely. But I don't consider rumor mongering among them as terribly reliable.

Reading on Trainorders that they have yanked the 2nd LSA off the Crescent's dinette car. On 19's Dec 12th trip, the cash register was broken and could not serve coach passengers either. Some OBS people on the Silver trains are saying to expect Crescent and Cardinal to both be suspended entirely. But I don't consider rumor mongering among them as terribly reliable.
Indeed! If Amtrak lives upto its promise, we should have a pretty clear indication as to what is actually going to happen real soon now, since middle of this month happens to fall in this week.

I am actually more concerned about T&E crew situation in the smaller crew bases in the sticks, or ones that serve a single train pair or less each day, since those will be the most vulnerable. It is easier to shuffle OBS from one route to another than to shuffle T&E due to route familiarization and certification requirements for T&E.

Last edited:
Email at 6AM today from Amtrak asking me to call them about my CZ trip eastbound arriving Denver 1/17. I'd previously received email (without request to call) about suspension of checked baggage into Denver, so I'm guessing this call request means they've cancelled this train--will try to call later today and will post here then, no time right now.

I'd pretty much decided to cancel this trip anyway, so not a problem for me. I'm posting this as a heads-up for others traveling in January.

Email at 6AM today from Amtrak asking me to call them about my CZ trip eastbound arriving Denver 1/17. I'd previously received email (without request to call) about suspension of checked baggage into Denver, so I'm guessing this call request means they've cancelled this train--will try to call later today and will post here then, no time right now.

I'd pretty much decided to cancel this trip anyway, so not a problem for me. I'm posting this as a heads-up for others traveling in January.
I doubt it's a cancellation. I know someone posted on FB about the same email, but I don't recall their travel date.

Same here (except for email timestamp and travel date). After you call, please do post what you learn. (I'll wait for your report.)

Hopefully Amtrak will keep hiring to ensure they have enough staff if the mandate survives this challenge. So far the Supreme Court has been supportive of most mandates, including those without spiritual exceptions for a biological process, and this particular judge seems to be ignoring the path of prior rulings.

Flynn’s memo says 95.7% of employees are either in full compliance with the vaccination mandate or have received an accommodation, and 97.3% have received at least one shot. “Currently, fewer than 500 active Amtrak employees are not in compliance with the company mandate,” Flynn writes. “This is remarkable progress — and we anticipate that between now and Jan. 4, we will get even closer to a 100% vaccination rate, which remains our goal and our policy.”
This does not sound that bad for a company of Amtrak's size. Presumably the last 500 are over-represented by operations and maintenance personnel. Hopefully a few more weeks of flexibility will make a meaningful difference and any accommodations granted will exclude customer facing positions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back