Amtrak price increases causing low ridership in addition to Covid 19?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family rode EB for the first time recently. We felt, with the roomettes, that the train was safer than a plane. We'd considered driving a rental but chose the train for these reasons:
1. the novelty
2. a touch of the extravagant (meals on wheels)
3. no driving, sleep/nap when desired
4. road trip without the disruptions and angst (kids in one room and we in another)
5. BOGO deal
6. chance to see things you can't see from a car...especially if you are driving
We had a great time. It might have been just a one-timer but the trip was memorable.

If we take the Auto Train to Florida, it will still mean 9 hours driving time, hotel overnight, 2-3 nights or days of travel. If we get on Plane 5-6 hours total, no driving (WC Van transport), at about same price as Amtrak. I don't like planes, but............ 😷

Last edited:
the alternatives are coach or the bus, and i will take either (probably train coach) before i would pay that price for a "room" and micro food

In all fairness, at this time, I am not riding the train until the COVID thing is under control - who knows what the fares will be by then ...
FWIW, if you had checked on some other date and it happened to be a high bucket date, your discounted fare would have been $468 or about $94 per hour. Now that would have been something to really bellyache about!

Last edited:
... those who can't/don't fly and don't want to drive will just not travel
That's me! If I had to drive = never see Florida. Way too dangerous to drive: weather, breakdowns, accidents, wear & tear on you and the car, etc. Plus I like having my SUV and everything that will fit in it with me! Though, with the Covid et al...10 trips-a-year went down to 2 (Jan & Feb).

I no longer enjoy flying. And since I quit smoking, I have become even more terrified of semis. While it may be irrational, it is very real. It doesn't matter if I'm driving or someone else is, I'm still terrified. Last year, I had the chance to take the Empire Builder roundtrip from Chicago to Seattle. Fell in love with train travel. This year, I'm going from Chicago to Orlando on the Capitol Limited and Silver Star and returning from Kissimmee on the Silver Meteor and Capitol Limited. No, the scenery won't be as fantastic, but I will still get to see the countryside. If you're looking for cheap travel, the train is not the way to go. However, if you wish to relax and enjoy the scenery, then, by all means, ride Amtrak. It's a great way to travel if you have the time and can afford it. I am so looking forward to my trip.

Back