Amtrak pulling freight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceo418

Train Attendant
I was standing at Newark Airport today waiting for a train when I saw an Amtrak engine go by followed by 3-4 cars filled with what appeared to be rocks. Another Amtrak engine was at the end. Could this be related to the repair work at NYP, or does this happen other times too?

I was standing at Newark Airport today waiting for a train when I saw an Amtrak engine go by followed by 3-4 cars filled with what appeared to be rocks. Another Amtrak engine was at the end. Could this be related to the repair work at NYP, or does this happen other times too?
It is a ballast train. NY Penn Station tracks that are being repaired are mostly on concrete base, though there also some ballasted tracks, so this may not be related to that, specially considering that they were most likely bracketed by two diesels. It may be related to routine maintenance on the NEC. It is not uncommon at all.

It is a ballast train. NY Penn Station tracks that are being repaired are mostly on concrete base, though there also some ballasted tracks, so this may not be related to that, specially considering that they were most likely bracketed by two diesels. It may be related to routine maintenance on the NEC. It is not uncommon at all.

The TLM is working 5 track at Newark Airport. The ballast was likely for the completed portion.

Back