Amtrak ReCrew/Fuel Stop List

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshP

Service Attendant
I want to collect all routes wherever Amtrak stops for recrew/fuel. I know few routes since I rode them and I forgot about others. If do you know, please list them. Thank you.

SILVER METEOR: Florence, SC
AUTO TRAIN: Florence, SC
SILVER STAR: I heard Columbia, SC?

PALMETTO: It ends Savannah (Nothing required)
Carolinian : It ends Charlotte (Nothing required)

All Empire Service: Albany esp trains going to Niagara Falls will have recrew changed.

Lake Shore Limited: ALB for recrew and again in Cleveland

City of New Orleans: Memphis, TN

Last edited:
While this map may be cool, be advised its copyright date is 2006. Sixteen years may have seen a change or two.

While this map may be cool, be advised its copyright date is 2006. Sixteen years may have seen a change or two.
We have to depend on the Amtrak employees on board here to post corrections as appropriate I suppose. But I am given to understand that it is mostly correct even today.

Also to note is that Trains Magazine reposted it at their site in 2020.

Last edited:
2006 may be the year the map was first published. I'm not sure that subsequent changes require re-copyrighting. My understanding of copyright law (subject to correction) is that the designation is there to notify people they can't reproduce or re-publish it without permission

Amtrak changes its crew district points very, *very* rarely, mostly in conjunction with new service, removed service, or a reroute. It requires actually constructing buildings and stuff, so there are generally some news reports. There will be a change with the Ethan Allen extension to Burlington, VT. I haven't heard of any changes since the Trains Magazine map.

Fuelling points, water refilling points, and FRA inspection points are not the same as the crew district points. I don't have a map or list of those.

There are quite a few changes since this map was published in 2006.

So Silver Star has to get a new train crew at both Tampa & Jacksonville?

The Silver Star now has split conductor and engineer districts in Florida. Conductors work Jacksonville-Orlando and Orlando-Miami. Engineers still change at Tampa. In the middle, the Star's engineers now run JAX-SAV and SAV-HAM while the conductors work KAX-HAM. On the north end, the Star no longer changes engineers at Richmond. They now operate WAS-RGH with the conductors. Right at 6 hours alone in the engine. They refuel at JAX.

Silver Meteor engineers work JAX-SAV, SAV-FLO. Conductors work JAX-FLO.

The Cardinal has a fueling stop in Russell, KY, between South Portsmouth and Ashland stations.

On the Crescent, conductors now work WAS-CLT. Engineers still change at Charlottesville. Refuel at CLT.

California Zephyr has a conductor crew base in LNK now. Conductors and engineers work DEN-LNK, LNK-OTM and CHI-OTM together.

Just took the Amtrak Sunset Limited 1 from NOLA to LA during Christmas holiday.

I have a question at here - just wondering where are the locations the P42DCs make the refills. I know one of the station is Tucson, AZ. Not sure about if there is another refilling station.

IMG_2765.JPG

Thank you very much for the update. As I mentioned earlier that is exactly what I was expecting - that is, to get an update from someone in the know.

Do you have any source where we could look for information on fuel stops? For example, is there a way to anser the questions that appear in the post immediately above this one?

Last edited:
Just took the Amtrak Sunset Limited 1 from NOLA to LA during Christmas holiday.

I have a question at here - just wondering where are the locations the P42DCs make the refills. I know one of the station is Tucson, AZ. Not sure about if there is another refilling station.

View attachment 26689
It refuels just to the east of San Antonio at the UP fuel pad.

The Southwest Chief does the same in Kansas City, refueling at BNSF's fuel pad to the west of the downtown station.

The Silver Star now has split conductor and engineer districts in Florida. Conductors work Jacksonville-Orlando and Orlando-Miami. Engineers still change at Tampa. In the middle, the Star's engineers now run JAX-SAV and SAV-HAM while the conductors work KAX-HAM. On the north end, the Star no longer changes engineers at Richmond. They now operate WAS-RGH with the conductors. Right at 6 hours alone in the engine. They refuel at JAX.

Silver Meteor engineers work JAX-SAV, SAV-FLO. Conductors work JAX-FLO.

The Cardinal has a fueling stop in Russell, KY, between South Portsmouth and Ashland stations.

On the Crescent, conductors now work WAS-CLT. Engineers still change at Charlottesville. Refuel at CLT.

California Zephyr has a conductor crew base in LNK now. Conductors and engineers work DEN-LNK, LNK-OTM and CHI-OTM together.

Thank you for all the info!

But what do you mean by "KAX"? That isn't an Amtrak station code. Typo for JAX?

I see that all of these changes are shufflings with existing crewbases; also, it looks like the Omaha crewbase may have closed? Amtrak really doesn't like opening up new crewbases (I get it, that costs money).

I am actually quite curious about (1) the watering points where fresh potable water is taken on, (2) the sewage pumping points where the retention tanks are emptied, and (3) the fuelling points. I've never seen lists of any of these.

I believe that all the termini are watering, sewage pumping, and fuelling points, but I've never seen lists of the intermediate points. And on the LD trains, I'm often asleep when it happens -- I believe the LSL gets fresh water while I'm asleep, but darned if I know where.

In particular, I'm interested in the watering points because I drink a lot of tap water, and I've spent some time delving into tap water quality. And I know Amtrak's water is high quality departing NYC, because NYC water is really good. But I don't know what other tap waters they're getting.

I am actually quite curious about (1) the watering points where fresh potable water is taken on, (2) the sewage pumping points where the retention tanks are emptied, and (3) the fuelling points. I've never seen lists of any of these.

I believe that all the termini are watering, sewage pumping, and fuelling points, but I've never seen lists of the intermediate points. And on the LD trains, I'm often asleep when it happens -- I believe the LSL gets fresh water while I'm asleep, but darned if I know where.

In particular, I'm interested in the watering points because I drink a lot of tap water, and I've spent some time delving into tap water quality. And I know Amtrak's water is high quality departing NYC, because NYC water is really good. But I don't know what other tap waters they're getting.

Tuscon, San Antonio are watering stations. FTW and STL on the Eagle route for water and fuel.

Thank you for all the info!

But what do you mean by "KAX"? That isn't an Amtrak station code. Typo for JAX?

I see that all of these changes are shufflings with existing crewbases; also, it looks like the Omaha crewbase may have closed? Amtrak really doesn't like opening up new crewbases (I get it, that costs money).

Yes, KAX is a late night forum typo code for JAX. 😁

Oh, Amtrak has gone and opened new crewbases which look good on paper, but didn't make much sense in reality. There was one that went rather terribly awry and was undone about a year later. On paper, it looked good. When applied to reality with late trains, it fell apart constantly. It was good job security but a constant headache for the crew dispatcher.

Back