Amtrak Regional derailment at Mansfield MA on the NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know enough not to get into a vehicle with a drunk driver, but there's really no way to know if a friend is stupid enough to drive on railroad tracks, try to beat a train, or sit on the RR tracks at a crossing. I would HOPE my friends are smart enough not to do that. Nobody I know would drive on the tracks, but there's always a chance someone won't be careful enough at a crossing. I would hope my friends would realize how stupid that is, especially since I talk about trains and train safety IRL. Plus, my friends are all over 30 and quite mature and intelligent.
On one occasion, time and place I will skip, an ambulance was called for one of my sons. I got up front with the driver and could smell that he had been drinking. If I had had any idea of the location of the hospital, he would have been sitting in the street and I would have been driving. Sometimes choices can be limited. Let's say I did not see a practical alternative.

Being over 30 does not necessarily equal mature and intelligent. I know a college educated man of about 55 who thinks that bar fights are fun. He is NOT a friend.

A joke from a friend of one of my children: "When my time comes, I hope to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in fear like his passengers."

No, age does not always equal maturity, but I combined it with the fact they ARE mature and intelligent. :hi: It was tossed in there as a random factoid, that's all.

I realize choices can be limited, but I wouldn't compare riding in an SUV to riding in an ambulance. If someone has a medical emergency and their only driver is drunk, they can call for an ambulance to assist that person. With an ambulance, you don't have another choice.

Sarah, I'd agree with you about all but one thing. I know what my friends would do. I only have three, and two of them don't drive. The one who does is an awful driver (Philly agressive) which is why I always do the driving.

If you don't know a person well enough to know what they would or would not do, they aren't a friend. And if you know they do stupid or crazy things, and you get in their car, you are at fault for what happens to yourself.

Fair enough. I can concede that point. :) I know none of my close friends would do something like this. Acquaintances, perhaps not. /shrug

It's moot since I or Brent always drive. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back