Amtrak reroutes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there's a solid business case for rerouting the LSL (not the CL) on the Michigan line. Or for running a second train 12 hours off of the LSL schedule, and running that on the Michigan line. Or for restoring a Michigan service train which goes from Dearborn to Toledo instead of to Pontiac, connecting to the Lake Shore Limited.

Any of the above. A real study using real avoidable-cost numbers could show which was best, but Amtrak can't even generate real avoidable-cost numbers for the existing operations, because their accouting is borked.

If you were going to run one of the two trains via the Michigan line, I would rather it not be the Lake Shore (for personal reason's). I would rather keep the Lake Shore where it is.

I still think it would be better to just run one of the Pontiac trains from Dearborn to Toledo, and make a cross-platform connection, like the former Lake Cities did...

If you were going to run one of the two trains via the Michigan line, I would rather it not be the Lake Shore (for personal reason's). I would rather keep the Lake Shore where it is.

I still think it would be better to just run one of the Pontiac trains from Dearborn to Toledo, and make a cross-platform connection, like the former Lake Cities did...
You could run the Chicago - Detroit trains all the way to Pontiac if you have a cab control car on the rear. At Pontiac just change ends and run straight to Toledo without stopping again at the Detroit station. As of early this year, the diamonds were still intact to run straight across the Conrail Shared Assets main line and straight to Toledo.

You could run the Chicago - Detroit trains all the way to Pontiac if you have a cab control car on the rear. At Pontiac just change ends and run straight to Toledo without stopping again at the Detroit station. As of early this year, the diamonds were still intact to run straight across the Conrail Shared Assets main line and straight to Toledo.
Sure you could do that....but how much longer would that take? And how much traffic would you lose by not going to Pontiac on that one daily train?

Back