Amtrak RR French Toast Quality Declining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the Crescent still has the French toast. Our last trip on it was in 2011.
When I last rode the Crescent last year, I asked and was told that they were doing French Toast southbound, Sweet Potato Pancakes northbound.

Don't know if that is still the case now.

Cracker Barrel doesn't serve 100% pure maple syrup in those bottles. It is 55% maple syrup and 45% cane syrup.
http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/Pure-Natural-Syrup/dp/B0050QD2YU
If you want to avoid eating cheap foul tasting laboratory produced "syrup" with your pancakes or French toast you can purchase pure maple syrup at most any supermarket for about $7.00 for 12 ounces. Then fill a small 1 or 2 oz bottle and pack it in your overnight bag.

I'm weird and don't put syrup or anything else on my French toast or pancakes. The Cracker Barrel here serves real maple syrup in little glass bottles. Hubby loved it.
Real maple syrup costs about $10. per 8 oz retail. Might be a tad expensive for Amtrak.
From what I've heard, Cracker Barrel is actually one of the few restaurants to actually serve real maple syrup instead of maple-flavored corn syrup. Many high-end restaurants don't even use real maple syrup.

I am seriously contemplating a stop at the nearest Cracker Barrel to pick up some of their 1-ounce bottles of maple syrup to bring with me on my next trip.
Why not Order the Real thing via the Internet (AGR Shopping Partner IF Available) from Canada or New England Sources! Good stuff, my Canadian In-Laws send me some every Christmas and when I visit Canada I Load Up on this Ambrosa! :wub:
Or go to Costco and get a 32 oz bottle for around $12. That is the best price around in my area for pure maple syrup.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Amtrak went with more freshly-prepared things, they'd probably be out of business by now. They have cost issues serving what they have now, and be glad they've at least improved it to at least a chain-restaurant quality, which is pretty much what is expected as, gasp, all the chain-restaurants get their food from Sysco or Aramark.

There is so much talk about the French Toast I will actually have to try it on my LD trips this July/August.
Here you go...

2012-07-26083235_zps98e0c516.jpg

It's nothing special. Really.

This French toast came from a hotel that costs $500 a night, which is about the same cost as an Amtrak bedroom in my experience...

2012-10-01212648_zps291db4df.jpg

It was an extremely simple example but was freshly prepared and nailed all the fundamental qualities you'd expect from a plate of French toast.

Anyway, if you're going to spend the time and money to seek out a specific French toast dish then you might as well pick an example that has a chance of actually living up to the hype. I would suggest the French toast entree at Hash House A Gogo. They make their French toast with Amish style bread that's dipped in a banana cinnamon cream and topped with pecans and a fried banana that is split lengthwise and is spreadable like butter. It's truly amazing, even among breakfast connoisseurs. I've visited Hash Houses in San Diego and Las Vegas but they might have other locations as well.

I fix frozen waffles at home so will not be complaining about frozen french toast.
Bleh! Were you born without taste buds or does freezer burn actually taste good to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
That French Toast sounds Great Chris, Ill have to try it next time I'm in San Diego! (Eric has banned me from Vegas! I'm a Low Roller! :giggle: ) My favorite Rail Road French Toast was on the Santa Fe Super Chief Back in the Day! Of course the Setting probably made it seem better also! ;) )

Here is my most recent Amtrak French Toast...

a5dl4w.jpg

And for a fun comparison... My French toast on VIA Rail. (Notice the warm maple syrup to the left vs. the Basked of "syrup" packets on Amtrak).

2z4jxwz.jpg

I would also like to mention that AU favorite Lou Mitchels, just 1 block from Chicago Union Station serves Freshly made French Toast using their own freshly made bread.

That is interesting they put a tomato down with the French Toast-not that I'm arguing because I'll eat a tomato just about anytime. They must have had a surplus that run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back