Amtrak San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from the CCJPA April 2023 board agenda:
So… does that mean that they might be trying to get AC Transit, who I believe is the major user of the Transbay Terminal, and already had several bays, to take over as operator of the Amtrak Thruway shuttles to and from Emeryville, from the current provider, hoping to share any surplus bay slots A C has?🤔

My wife and I arrived in San Francisco ex-Portland and walked without issues a couple of blocks from Amtrak bus stop to Muni bus stop, bought $5 Muni DayPasses and went to our hotel Travelodge San Francisco Bay.

We had three days of walking and use of public transport, only place we disliked was changing from bus to bart at 16th Street Mission.

20230504_135627.jpg

Hope you also visited the Sutro Baths site. Walking through the old water tunnel is so good I'm surprised they haven't closed it. And while I miss the old Cliff House restaurant, you can get a nice drink and a snack in the "new" bar and enjoy the view.

Back in the day, when the Cliff House restaurant was a Fisherman's Wharf style tourist trap, there was a secret. You could call for a reservation and ask to be seated "upstairs". It was a small room with much higher class waiters, and I think even a better menu, more French than french fries. Good location for an impressive date!

1980's San Francisco was a great place for a 30 year old with a little money.

Last edited:
Back in 2010 when I passed through, Amtrak had a very nice bus station next to the ferry terminal at the foot of Market St. This had a waiting room, Quick Trak ticket machines, and I think even checked baggage. I think I remember reading they were going to relocate in a space in the new Transbay bus terminal, but I'm not sure what happened with that.
Amtrak - San Francisco, CA (SFC) Closed in 2015.

Does AC Transit operate any deluxe motor coaches with under-the-floor baggage compartments and a wheelchair lift?
They've got MCI D4500 buses already with new D45 coming. they also have normal transit buses setup for cross bay operations with nicer seats and plugs ect that could be used for those without luggage

My wife and I arrived in San Francisco ex-Portland and walked without issues a couple of blocks from Amtrak bus stop to Muni bus stop, bought $5 Muni DayPasses and went to our hotel Travelodge San Francisco Bay.

We had three days of walking and use of public transport, only place we disliked was changing from bus to bart at 16th Street Mission.

View attachment 32437
Yep, there are certainly some interesting characters around 16th/Mission. I don't feel unsafe there, but I can see how it might be intimidating to folks unfamiliar with the area. 😃 Glad you enjoyed your visit otherwise. Beautiful photo!

They've got MCI D4500 buses already with new D45 coming. they also have normal transit buses setup for cross bay operations with nicer seats and plugs ect that could be used for those without luggage
I quite like crossing the bay in the AC Transit's double decker Enviro500s. The front seat over the driver gives incredible views on the Bay Bridge. Honestly, it's such a quick ride from Emeryville to the transit center, it might make sense to shift away from the charter bus operators Amtrak/CCJPA/SJJPA use currently.

I quite like crossing the bay in the AC Transit's double decker Enviro500s. The front seat over the driver gives incredible views on the Bay Bridge. Honestly, it's such a quick ride from Emeryville to the transit center, it might make sense to shift away from the charter bus operators Amtrak/CCJPA/SJJPA use currently.
As far as I am concerned, as long as there are usable baggage holds, they can do what they like.

I totally agree, but whatever service, it should be in sync with Amtrak's arrivals and departures at EMY.

I am confident that when I ride the Amtrak coach from SFC (555 Mission) to EMY, at least the 6 train is waiting for us; and upon arrival back at EMY on the 5, the coach is waiting -- regardless of how late the train is -- to take me home to SF. In my experience, Amtrak's "Thruway Service" works perfectly for this purpose.

Charter AC Transit? Fine with me. Whatever. Just don't leave me stranded. ☺️

Hope you also visited the Sutro Baths site. Walking through the old water tunnel is so good I'm surprised they haven't closed it. And while I miss the old Cliff House restaurant, you can get a nice drink and a snack in the "new" bar and enjoy the view.

Back in the day, when the Cliff House restaurant was a Fisherman's Wharf style tourist trap, there was a secret. You could call for a reservation and ask to be seated "upstairs". It was a small room with much higher class waiters, and I think even a better menu, more French than french fries. Good location for an impressive date!

1980's San Francisco was a great place for a 30 year old with a little money.
I still remember my first Visit to the Cliff House as a kid. We were impressed by the Seals( or was it Sea Lions???) that all the tourists loved to take pictures of!

As you said, it was a Tourist Trap, but to a 12 year old kid, it was a Real Treat!!!

I totally agree, but whatever service, it should be in sync with Amtrak's arrivals and departures at EMY.

I am confident that when I ride the Amtrak coach from SFC (555 Mission) to EMY, at least the 6 train is waiting for us; and upon arrival back at EMY on the 5, the coach is waiting -- regardless of how late the train is -- to take me home to SF. In my experience, Amtrak's "Thruway Service" works perfectly for this purpose.

Charter AC Transit? Fine with me. Whatever. Just don't leave me stranded. ☺️
One problem is the Federal regulations that were instituted allegedly to protect private charter bus operators from public competition. If AC Transit ran it as a regular route -- honoring Amtrak tickets -- they'd be okay, but if it is run under the direction of Amtrak as a customer, that's only acceptable if there is no private firm able to do the job. There are ways to get around that for one-shot events or where special equipment is requested (or if you're in Texas), but a year-round daily operation would attract attention.

It's also possible that private charter operators have more flexibility on work rules for their operators. This could matter for late trains, strikes, etc. One of my colleagues took an operations position at AC Transit and soon made the "mistake" of saying that the union ran AC Transit. The union was outraged and demanded he be fired. He was, which was pretty funny if one thought about that from a safe distance.

Back