Amtrak service cancellations and restorations (2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

joelkfla

Engineer
Does anyone know when, or if, there are plans to put 245 back into service -- the late-night train from NYP to Albany on weekdays. If I want to go to a game or concert in New York City, Amtrak is not an option right now. It's a long drive down to Croton-Harmon for Metro-North or Ramsey for NJ Transit. It's much more comfortable on 245.
Why Croton-Harmon? Trains run to Poughkeepsie until 2am.

Still a 2-hour drive from Glens Falls, but 40 minutes closer than Croton-Harmon.

Acela150

Super Buff
Perhaps they have one or more classes going and expect those new employees to be ready to start on 10/02/22. Of course, some of the trainees may be decide this isn't a job they want and quit before they start working.

The most recent AC class graduated last week and they were all west of Chicago. A new class started Monday. Will most likely be the last class of the calendar year.

glensfallsse

Train Attendant
Why Croton-Harmon? Trains run to Poughkeepsie until 2am.

Still a 2-hour drive from Glens Falls, but 40 minutes closer than Croton-Harmon.
A number of reasons. It's tough getting to the station from the Thruway, and especially working that freakish interchange with Route 9, where you take the southbound ramp, then bend around to the northbound, then have to cut across lanes to get off at the next exit. You have twice as many options from Croton. Also, last time I used Poughkeepsie I had trouble finding a parking spot on a weekday, though it was a long time ago and that situation may have changed since Covid. But the freakish interchange by itself is enough to keep me away.