Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Amtrak announce that? When I was looking at schedules earlier this week, it looked like they were resuming it today.
I haven't seen any announcements, but people on FB have posted that the earliest resumption they're seeing is March 29th. I just checked and March 28th is cancelled and March 29th is available.
Acela150 posted job postings for ACs on the NEC, so I'm sure 65/66/67, in addition to other NEC trains, are probably in need of new hires, which takes time to get onboard with hiring, training & route certification.

Looks like Amtrak has already canceled four routes in both directions over the weekend in anticipation of the winter storm.

So far it looks like these trains are canceled:

21 & 22 (Texas Eagle): Canceled for 1/15
58 & 59 (City of New Orleans): Canceled for 1/15
29 (Capitol Limited): Canceled for 1/16
30 (Capitol Limited): Canceled for 1/15
50 (Cardinal): Canceled for 1/15
51 (Cardinal): Canceled for 1/16

I have a trip from ORL-RNO on 98, 49, and 5 departing 1/17 so looks like I should probably be rescheduling that for later next week.

Last edited:
For those who don't know all the trains by their numbers (I hope I got them all right)

21/22 - Texas Eagle
58/59 - City of New Orleans
29/30 - Capitol Limited
50/51 - Cardinal

Last edited:
Well, if the 17th isn't canceled, presumably your trip is still intact?
I wouldn't count on seeing any empty seats though!

The majority of the bad weather that would affect my trip (mainly 49) would be on Monday, so I'm assuming that they are only canceling one or two days in advance and haven't gotten to Monday/Tuesday yet. I certainly hope it stays intact but I'm not counting on it.

For those who don't know all the trains by their numbers (I hope I got them all right)

21/21 - Texas Eagle
58/50 - City of New Orleans
29/30 - Capitol Limited
50/51 - Cardinal
Those are all correct. I added them to them to the original post.

21/21 - Texas Eagle
58/50 - City of New Orleans
29/30 - Capitol Limited
50/51 - Cardinal
58/59 for City of New Orleans

Found this Amtrak Alert today about 65/66/67 being cancelled through Sunday, March 27th:
Effective immediately, through Sunday, March 27, Trains 65, 66 and 67 are canceled between Boston and Newport News.
Alternate transportation will not be provided. Passengers may use other Amtrak services during this time.

Well I was due to take the Cardinal on the 15th and I know the next two versions were sold out of rooms. So now gonna be stuck in Chicago because 30 didn't look available. Unless I hear otherwise... but I'm trying to save data and not spend hours here - LOL :) Hello from CZ!

Well I was due to take the Cardinal on the 15th and I know the next two versions were sold out of rooms. So now gonna be stuck in Chicago because 30 didn't look available. Unless I hear otherwise... but I'm trying to save data and not spend hours here - LOL :) Hello from CZ!
You could take the Lake Shore Limited to New York, it's the "clean up" Train for Eastern Connections

Ever year they do this. A bit of winter and Amtrak give up. Too much effort to maintain and operate the trains? A fear of bad press and questions from Congress?

It sure is getting cold here in the Midwest, better find my wool hat. Got to keep those ears warm.

Winter it happens ever year.

Did you not see what happened in Virginia just last week? It was chaos. Trains stranded all over the place. Trees down in front of them, trees down behind them. Over a foot of snow on the ground. Very little help could come because the roads were jammed with downed trees and stranded vehicles. Passengers stuck in the middle of nowhere. Crews going on the law with no way to get replacements to the train. Relief crews that were sent out got stuck and they themselves went on the law. Some trains ended up 30-40 hours late. Amtrak didn't want to give up last week when it should have canceled trains as soon as trees were coming down.

Also, Amtrak doesn't always have a say in this matter. Sometimes the host railroad will look at the weather and say, "Nope! Not today."

The Amtrak employee FB page is currently sporting the rumor that a few Empire service trains are being eliminated due to lack of functioning engines and that LD service is going to 5 days a week....Time will tell
Not surprised. I've seen where trains are late leaving Chicago due to mechanical issues. I wonder how many engines are/were stuck west of Spokane since they run the EB with 3 engines in the winter time.

Looks like Amtrak has already canceled four routes in both directions over the weekend in anticipation of the winter storm.

I believe the Crescent was also canceled. I had a reservation on the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Alexandria on Sunday, and it was canceled along with the Crescent.

I believe the Crescent was also canceled. I had a reservation on the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Alexandria on Sunday, and it was canceled along with the Crescent.
I just looked and it appears that both 19 and 20 have been canceled for January 15th - January 19th (all 5 days)

EDIT: I was looking all the way to New Orleans. I wasn't aware that it usually terminates in ATL around this time. The route is only canceled for January 15th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back