Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EB 8 of 2-16 showed "No Status" on several stops between Fargo and St. Paul for 2-18-22.

View attachment 27233

Makes sense considering the detour - no way to access the stations between Fargo and St. Paul when it's routing through Breckenridge, Morris, and Willmar to avoid the derailment.

Capitol Limited shows canceled every day until 3/13. I thought it was running 5 days a week. Did I miss something?

BTW, even after 3/13, Amtrak shows no service from ORL to CHI. I guess they don't want to guarantee the 1-hour connection from the Silver Star to the CL.

Last edited:
Capitol Limited shows canceled every day until 3/13. I thought it was running 5 days a week. Did I miss something?

BTW, even after 3/13, Amtrak shows no service from ORL to CHI. I guess they don't want to guarantee the 1-hour connection from the Silver Star to the CL.
I'm guessing you're looking at the schedules page, not the booking page. For some reason the schedules page is show a lot of cancellations where there shouldn't be cancellations. I just looked at WAS-CHI for 2/23 and for 3/9 via the booking page and it's showing fares.

Just a newbie curiosity question about delays caused by freight trains, not Amtrak’s fault.

A week or so ago there was a major pblm on the 5/6 line in either Utah or Nevada and Amtrak had to do what you experts called a bustitution to switch the 5 for the 6 and vice versa. I get that.

My question now is: would Amtrak get any sort of $ compensation from the freight line for their cost to do this? Sure seems to me they'd be entitled to something!

Not sure if this A) belongs in this thread or B) is even new news but tonight's #30 (The Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC) has no SSL.

The Cap and Texas Eagle have both been without their SSLs for several months now, and as in the past, have CCCs that serve Flex Food to Sleeping Car Passengers.🤬
Right, I got the Cap and the CONO confused.

I wonder what is going on with the Coast Starlight to Seattle #14 for March 1 it is showing 2 hr 50 min late at Chico and now a "service disruption" with unknown arrival times North of there.

Per Amtrak Twitter Alerts

Coast Starlight Train 14 which is scheduled to depart Los Angeles (LAX) on 3/1 will terminate in Portland (PDX) due to severe weather conditions in the area. For further assistance please call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Coast Starlight Train 11 which is scheduled to depart from Seattle (SEA) on 3/1 will now originate in Portland (PDX) due to severe weather conditions in the area. For further assistance please call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts

Looking at the Empire Builder they're keeping the 5-day schedule until Memorial Day weekend when it returns to daily service.
Yeah, I think that's the answer. Someone posted on FB about the CONO's cancellation.
I'm thinking they haven't gotten enough qualified applicants, at least for T&E, to have trained by the end of March.

The Silver Meteor was supposed to resume on 3/30. Got a email from Amtrak this morning titled "Ticket confirmation" showing our 4/2 Florida trip was changed (by them) from the Meteor to the Star. It should have been titled "Change of train", or at least "Change of departure time".

As was said in " Casablanca", " I'm Shocked! Shocked!...." 😱

Who could have possibly seen this one coming after Management announced the plan for Cancellations, Shortened Consists,Continuing Flex Meals on most Trains and 5 Day a Week LD Trains, so as to be able Hire and Train New Crews.?🤥

What's the "Over and Under" on this being extended into the Summer.?👎

Just received email from Amtrak that my reservations on LSL & SWC for April were all cancelled. 3 day a week train limits and train cancels extended😔
I just got an email stating that one leg of out NY-SF trip on the LSL is cancelled for April 12. Rebooked now as NY-DC-CHI-SF. Agent cited staff shortages for the cancellation. Bedrooms were changed too. From B and C to A and A. I've never been in Bedroom A. Always thought it the worst and I guess I'll find out now if this is true.

Last edited:
We have a trip planned on the Zephyr in July on a Sunday,one of the days they aren't running. With the way things are going I have a feeling this five day a week schedule could be in effect indefinately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back