Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame that Amtrak isn't being held accountable for these cancellations. The MBTA in Boston had a few weeks of some cancellations on a few lines in January for Omicron then went back to full service in short order. Can Amtrak actually prove that they have a staff shortage so severe they can't run the trains or is that information being kept under lock and key so they don't have to answer to the public? Amtrak has traditionally had no trouble getting applications from former freight railroad workers looking for a better schedule and keep in mind they can always offer the opportunity to current Amtrak employees to bid to a different craft if one is short and then hire people off the street for the entry level jobs like Assistant conductor etc.... Also many prospective applicants might be willing to move to a new city for a career. I moved for mine for instance. I am sure there are some staffing issues, nobody would deny it, but as the months and possibly years go by at what point will Amtrak be held accountable for their use of public funds to actually run trains and benefit the public?

Changes at no charge? The agent had me pony up $100 for the change required by the Amtrak cancellation.
That is a mistake. You should follow the idea of getting an AGR account and calling an AGR agent.

Then again count yourself lucky that you were not told that the Silver Star has had an equipment change from Superliner to Viewliner, as I was told :D Sometimes I feel bad for those poor agents who are thrown into their job with grossly inadequate training and then have to fend for themselves using their wits.

That is a mistake. You should follow the idea of getting an AGR account and calling an AGR agent.

Then again count yourself lucky that you were not told that the Silver Star has had an equipment change from Superliner to Viewliner, as I was told :D Sometimes I feel bad for those poor agents who are thrown into their job with grossly inadequate training and then have to fend for themselves using their wits.

Thanks - forgive my ignorance- I have an AGR account - I didn’t know there was a special number?

Well, as much as I liked the original agenda better, I managed to get the same train accommodation (roomettes/bedrooms) at no additional cost.

Buffalo to Seattle - Had to start a day later because of Empire Builder Cancellation, I lose a night in Seattle
Seattle to LA - Not affected
LA to New Orleans - Not affected
New Orleans to Buffalo - Had to add a night in Chicago because LSL was cancelled

Took me an hour and a half (including on hold time) on the phone with Amtrak to make the changes and then another half hour to make hotel changes, not terrible.

The overnight NEC trains 66 & 67 aren't resuming until 5/23 and 5/24

Damn! That would have been perfect for our revised late arrival on the Silver Star. I really wish Amtrak would at least change the Silver Star schedule to an earlier time of the day. Maybe use the schedule that the Silver Meteor had. o_O

It will take Amtrak at least months, if not years to negotiate a new schedule. The Star cannot just flip schedules with the Meteor while serving Tampa and Raleigh.
Oh well! It's a pipedream I guess. I was just thinking if the train were to leave a bit earlier.

Several persons have posted that Amtrak has not advertised enough positions in time to resume full operations. In fact Amtrak just posted more OBS positions on their web site today. No way Amtrak can have enough personnel for at least another 90 days for training if nothing else.

Hopefully Amtrak can restore service to at least before they started reducing a couple months ago soon. At least a couple trains are resuming daily service, but having daily service on at least all trains that had daily service, and corridor service fully back to before the recent cuts is important.

Damn! That would have been perfect for our revised late arrival on the Silver Star. I really wish Amtrak would at least change the Silver Star schedule to an earlier time of the day. Maybe use the schedule that the Silver Meteor had. o_O
We really need the Meteor back, because the Star on its current schedule is too late going north and too early going south to make most connections. It adds an overnight stay going from FL to CHI and, as you've discovered, Boston.

According to RPA Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, and Capitol Limited are returning to daily service. All others extended disruption. Also Hiawathas and Empire Service returning to full frequencies.
Strange that the Capitol is going daily ahead of the Lake Shore Limited which is the 4th most patronized LD train according to Amtrak stats.

Strange that the Capitol is going daily ahead of the Lake Shore Limited which is the 4th most patronized LD train according to Amtrak stats.

I suspect the train selections were made based on staffing and equipment realities rather than any revenue or business factors. Isn’t capitol only running with one engine right now? Probably just doesn’t need as much equipment as the lake Shore. The mechanical and skilled trade crafts have one of the worst staffing shortages in the company - one can see it just by looking at how many jobs are open- and the supply chain delays for technical parts isnt likely helping. I suspect the mechanical side particularly engines is what is really driving this now more than T&E and OBS staffing.

We really need the Meteor back, because the Star on its current schedule is too late going north and too early going south to make most connections. It adds an overnight stay going from FL to CHI and, as you've discovered, Boston.

Exactly! I just got off the phone with an AGR agent and explained that the revised booking won't work for us because of the connections and I wanted to cancel without incurring a fee. She told me there wouldn't be one since Amtrak was the one that canceled. So I'm happy to get a full refund but I'm also sad because I was really looking forward to taking the train down South again. ☹ Also, it may have been okay if there were overnight NEC trains available because I probably would have kept this booking if that were the case but I'm also seeing some late and overnight NEC trains canceled. I may have considered staying one night in NYC for an early departure but no way 2 nights. The schedule BLOWS whistles for us New Englanders!

Any clues or discussion as to when the Silver Meteor Amtrak 97/98 may return to service?

I have a feeling that they like the cost saving of running just one Silver train each day. If that is the case, they should run the Star Fri, Sat and Sun, and the Meteor the other 4 days. They did that at the start of the Covid cut-back. Now everyone has to take the much longer route via Tampa.

I have a feeling that they like the cost saving of running just one Silver train each day. If that is the case, they should run the Star Fri, Sat and Sun, and the Meteor the other 4 days. They did that at the start of the Covid cut-back. Now everyone has to take the much longer route via Tampa.
Or they’re short staffed
* not enough T&E qualified on the Meteor’s route?
* not enough mechanics to keep enough equipment running?
* not enough OBS?
* not enough cleaners?

Doing what you would suggest would be a violation of Amtraks new mandate. You’d be basically chopping service for several stations down to tri weekly to make connections more convenient for long haul passengers - essentially prioritizing revenue and what’s best for the highest paying customers over providing service to the stops that would get axed. You do have to balance long haul and sleeper passengers desires with providing transportation to the communities you serve. Running things the way they are keeps daily service to all the stops. If they were going to make this permanent then you’d probably pursue a schedule shift to make connections work better: but this isn’t meant to be permanent so for now it works. Yes the connections stink - I’m going to be inconvenienced by it myself living in New England for an April trip - but I still think it’s the proper setup given the spirit of Amtraks new mission language.

Reactions: jis
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back