Amtrak serving every state capital

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railgeekteen

Service Attendant
Let's say that Amtrak received a mandate to serve every state capital on the lower 48, what routes would you propose to accomplish this goal?

It might be a fun exercise, but some would be fantasy, like Dover, DE and Annapolis, MD or some of the midwest and plains... Problem is, some State Capitals have great historic significance, but may not hold the economic power or population that makes it worthwhile. Track access could be a real issue. But as I said, could bed fun to kick it around.

It might be a fun exercise, but some would be fantasy, like Dover, DE and Annapolis, MD or some of the midwest and plains... Problem is, some State Capitals have great historic significance, but may not hold the economic power or population that makes it worthwhile. Track access could be a real issue. But as I said, could bed fun to kick it around.
Dover DE has tracks through it. Most capitals do, except Annapolis.

The Empire Builder could go through Madison WI - BUT presently it is a motor coach connection !

What would be the sense of having a railroad stop presence in a state capitol that has only seen better days with a covered wagon ?

Build it and they will come only to abandon it in favor of that SUV form of transportation.
The complexity of restoring rail service on previous routes or eminent domain to establish such service.
What time of the day or night would this service actually function for the traveling public consumer ?
Put politics on the back burner - good luck with this !

Last edited:
Former SFZ...
Lincoln, Denver, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, and Sacramento
Former Pioneer...
Lincoln, Denver, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Boise, and (E)Olympia
Silver Star...
Trenton, (does Washington, DC count as a capital?), Richmond, Raleigh, and Columbia

We do not know what "Sally" has done to the track ? Possible track will not be restored to passenger ability. We might only expect it to meet class 2 25 MPH specifications.

How about that we amend that to serving the largest population center in every state, or the largest two population centers if both are over 1M in the Metropolitan Statistical Area?
This would seem to make a lot more sense, since some capitals are so tiny or out-of-the-way. (See South Dakota discussion.) It's no different in Canada where VIA serves only half of the provincial capitals.

Montgomery, AL. You could split the Crescent in Atlanta and have a southern Crescent that goes Auburn, AL, Montgomery, AL continuing to Jackson, MS and Dallas.

We do not know what "Sally" has done to the track ?

True. Katrina knocked out a bridge. They used that as an excuse for years after the bridge was rebuilt. They even successfully tested it for passenger after that and still did not restore the train.

So, even if Sally caused no damage to the tracks it would make a good excuse to keep passenger off those tracks.

Last edited:
How about that we amend that to serving the largest population center in every state, or the largest two population centers if both are over 1M in the Metropolitan Statistical Area?
I don't think either of these criteria are particularly relevant if you're looking for the system that would serve the most Americans. What I propose instead is a route system that would include stops in each of the top US metropolitan statistical areas (regardless of which states those MSA's are in), with a further requirement that the top 20 or so MSA's must be served between the hours of 7 am and 11:30 pm, and linked together on reasonably direct routes that require no overnight stays between trains.

Connecting Carson City would require the construction of a brand new right of way since the V&T was dismantled sometime after WW2. I know the state says it wants to run trains between Reno and Carson City, but saying something sure as hell hasn't translated into constructive action.

I personally think having a mandate and appropriate funding commitments to build an interstate corridor network would be far more productive than mandating a city get Amtrak service. To put it mildly, having a train once a day isn't remotely an adequate form of transportation. And that is what Amtrak is stuck with providing even though they are mandated to maintain part of a "balanced transportation system".

Attachments

• Amtrak Interstate Corridors.jpg
    Amtrak Interstate Corridors.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
Serving Dover, Delaware would actually be a good use of government transportation funds. They spent a lot of money on the "new" freeway paralleling US 13 that connects Wilmington with Dover and the seashore points south. It's been 20 years since I spent a lot of time on Delmarva, but there was a lot of growth and traffic back them, and I can only imagine that there's been more since. The service could be a Northeast Region branch line similar to the various Virginia extensions to the NEC. I would probably run it south, with two branches, one to Salisbury, the other to Lewes/Rehobeth Beach and Ocean City. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people who live down by the ocean year-round.

Getting Pierre, SD onto the Amtrak rail network would be interesting, and almost certainly an amazingly large money suck with little hope of even having a 20% farebox recovery, even just looking at operating expenses. The rest at least seem somewhat feasible, even if they wouldn't necessarily be my top priority.

But yeah, if there was one city I'd exempt from it it'd be Pierre. If we were going to swap out service I'd run service MSP - Sioux Falls - Omaha and then Denver - Cheyenne - Rapid City - at least both of those routes would have some chance of having a reasonable farebox recovery.

Not only a "reasonable ambition," but a really smart way to get a bunch of Senators and Congressmen on board. I would have loved to see the enabling legislation require service to every state, though I admit that the service to South Dakota, among a few others, is destined to lose money.

Sometime I need to look at how many congressional districts currently have at least one stop, and how many more could easily be added.

Problem is in some instances the state capital is not necessarily worth serving other than for symbolic or political reasons. For example here in Maine the capital Augusta is only the 9th largest city in a fairly rural state and although extending the Downeaster would not be terribly difficult it wouldn't be worth it unless part of a project to go further to Waterville and Bangor. We don't even have service yet to Lewiston and Auburn the 2nd and 4th largest respectively so those cities would matter more than Augusta.

Serving Dover, Delaware would actually be a good use of government transportation funds. They spent a lot of money on the "new" freeway paralleling US 13 that connects Wilmington with Dover and the seashore points south. It's been 20 years since I spent a lot of time on Delmarva, but there was a lot of growth and traffic back them, and I can only imagine that there's been more since. The service could be a Northeast Region branch line similar to the various Virginia extensions to the NEC. I would probably run it south, with two branches, one to Salisbury, the other to Lewes/Rehobeth Beach and Ocean City. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people who live down by the ocean year-round.

We have a second home in Lewes, Delaware...a 45 minute drive south of Dover. Back around 1915, a RR line did run from MD to Lewes and Rehoboth Beach. The area has become a retirement "hot spot", in part due to very low real estate taxes plus no state sales tax.

We have a second home in Lewes, Delaware...a 45 minute drive south of Dover. Back around 1915, a RR line did run from MD to Lewes and Rehoboth Beach. The area has become a retirement "hot spot", in part due to very low real estate taxes plus no state sales tax.
Unfortunately the rail service to Lewes ended a few years ago after DelDOT said the bridge across the canal had sunk into the abutments 7-8 inches due to erosion. They said the cost to replace or rehab the bridge was more than the cost to keep it open, but I think it was mostly so the state could stop subsidizing freight rail service. Silly that they had just spent many millions redoing crossings and gates.

They moved the bridge a few weeks ago, which was much much heavier than they estimated and quite comical actually, and it will be put with a fence and informational sign on the rail trail next to the library.

There was a feasibility study DelDOT did about Wilmington, DE to Ocean City, MD intercity passenger rail in 2013. I can't find the correct link for the PDF I have but I'll attach it here.

Attachments

• Wilmington-Ocean City Intercity Rail Feasibility Study.pdf
    11.5 MB · Views: 3
Back