Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most crews outside their normal territory are not qualified on the engines so they tend not to operate them in lead in foreign crew bases.

WSDOT has a blog post that, in part, talks about their replacement Charger locomotive:
A new Charger locomotive will be delivered to Seattle by September to replace the one lost in the 2017 derailment. It's being paid for with insurance proceeds from Amtrak. Locomotive 1408 was manufactured at the Siemens facility in Sacramento – the same site all our other locomotives were crafted – and is now at the Transportation Technology Center test site in Pueblo, Colorado. It will be moved to Washington once testing is completed.
It's very interesting that they're sending a previously tested and approved locomotive model to TTCI for testing. I guess that could mean they made changes on this version of the Charger... or WSDOT is just being extremely cautious.

WSDOT has a blog post that, in part, talks about their replacement Charger locomotive:

It's very interesting that they're sending a previously tested and approved locomotive model to TTCI for testing. I guess that could mean they made changes on this version of the Charger... or WSDOT is just being extremely cautious.

More so for burn in and getting initial hours of run time logged. Just like all the Midwest chargers went to TTCI for that reason as part of the delivery and acceptance process.

It doesn't. If it did, you'd know. ;)
It's not this color, is it? :)
636173180581039573-Brightline-Train-First-Complete.jpg

Amtrak Press Release on its plans for the ALC-42, with information on planned livery and deployment timeline. Seems pretty clear that the ALC-42 will be the replacement for the total P4x (except the ACDMs of course) fleet over time.

https://media.amtrak.com/2020/08/amtrak-prepares-for-new-diesel-locomotive-fleet/
The livery is said to be interim, until a final new livery is announced for the new fleet of passenger cars and locomotives.

Last edited:
Amtrak Press Release on its plans for the ALC-42, with information on planned livery and deployment timeline. Seems pretty clear that the ALC-42 will be the replacement for the total P4x (except the ACDMs of course) fleet over time.

https://media.amtrak.com/2020/08/amtrak-prepares-for-new-diesel-locomotive-fleet/

I just saw it.

Oh my god.

Im usually pretty open to new stuff but my
god this is abhorrent. Go back to the battleship grey. At least it isn’t the whole fleet.

Last edited:
I just saw it.

Oh my god.

Im usually pretty open to new stuff but my
god this is abhorrent. Go back to the battleship grey. At least it isn’t the whole fleet.
Note that this is interim livery pending the conversion to a more standardized fleet livery that is to be revealed, apparently soon.

Note that this is interim livery pending the conversion to a more standardized fleet livery that is to be revealed, apparently soon.

Yeah I read that. Thank goodness. At the same time, I don’t get why they’re going to do this and then repaint them. Are these vinyl or wraps or something, or is this actual paint? How expensive is it to paint a locomotive?

It depends on how many will actually see this livery. If it is just a 2020 thing and they expect to have the more permanent Phase VI by early to mid 2021 maybe it makes some sense. Also it depends on how different the new Phase VI is from this. So I don't think there is enough info there to make a reasonable determination this way or that.

Now if all this is indicative of a more solid commitment to daily LD service on all existing routes and more, I could even live with Battleship Grey :p

It depends on how many will actually see this livery. If it is just a 2020 thing and they expect to have the more permanent Phase VI by early to mid 2021 maybe it makes some sense. Also it depends on how different the new Phase VI is from this. So I don't think there is enough info there to make a reasonable determination this way or that.

Now if all this is indicative of a more solid commitment to daily LD service on all existing routes and more, I could even live with Battleship Grey :p
The New York Central did a great job with Grey,especially on the 20th Century Ltd.🥰

Back