Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would they let the Siemens troubleshoot crew bunk in the FRA car since the VL-II bag-dorm is not present ?

I don't know if there is a Siemens crew this time. I only heard there was one the one run there was a bag-dorm with the train.

AMTK 309 and 308 are heading east on the California Zephyr. The two are third and fourth out behind the usual P42s.

ChaseFan No. 9 caught Amtrak #6(14) in Sacramento.

Roseville Sacramento Railfan filmed it leaving the Roseville station.

Apparently, after arriving in Chicago on the Zephyr, the will go out on the Capitol Limited en route to Wilmington,, Delaware for certification. Does anyone know:
1) How long the certification process takes, i.e. how soon they would be sent out into the main network? 301 and 302 went into service on the EB in February, curious what the time frame was/is between manufacture and final certification.

2) How many per month are being completed at Siemen's factory in Sacramento?

I know they will be used on the LD routes, and I am taking CZ in late August. It would be nice to have those snazzy looking engines on our trip. I know they were ordered because they are both ecologically beneficial and fuel-efficeint, but it's like when you get a new car and it has that "new car" smell - those paint jobs are brand new!

Last edited:
I know they will be used on the LD routes, and I am taking CZ in late August. It would be nice to have those snazzy looking engines on our trip. I know they were ordered because they are both ecologically beneficial and fuel-efficeint, but it's like when you get a new car and it has that "new car" smell - those paint jobs are brand new!
I personally am on the contrary. I'm sad to see the P42's go, as they are what I grew up with. I hope that when my next trip comes up, that the P42's are pulling my trains, just so I can hear their wonderful horns and their sound. I will definitely miss them, especially the horn (I don't love the new Charger horns),.

Apparently, after arriving in Chicago on the Zephyr, the will go out on the Capitol Limited en route to Wilmington,, Delaware for certification.
308 and 309 were on the Eastbound Capitol LImited last night, spotted on webcam at Elkhart around 11.30pm. So, after arrival in Washington DC, they should be in WIlmington soon.

Nice!

Bit off topic, but are you ever going to touch your YouTube channel again? I quite like(d) your videos.

I don't know when, but I want my next video to be something special. I've already filmed the needed parts, but I ran into a wall getting what I want from the video editors I've tried and getting the time to try and figure an editor out.

---

308 and 309 on Amtrak #30 were caught by Chicago Line RailfanProductions in a video posted yesterday.

They were also filmed today at Point of Rocks by Shortline614.

I don't know when, but I want my next video to be something special. I've already filmed the needed parts, but I ran into a wall getting what I want from the video editors I've tried and getting the time to try and figure an editor out.
Ah okay. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Can chargers and P42s work in multiple control / multiple unit or are the chargers being towed dead?

dumb question here, but why is the American flag below the cab window mirror-pictured?

A flag flying on a flag pole will be mounted with the blue (stars) towards the flagpole. When moving forward, the flag will fly with that part leading, and stripes trailing.

When an image of a flag is painted/affixed to the surface of a moving vehicle, it must be positioned such that the blue is leading when that vehicle is moving “forward.” Hence the appearance of it being mirrored.

You will find this on the right side of any (properly positioned) moving vehicle, be it a train, bus, airplane, etc.

Can chargers and P42s work in multiple control / multiple unit or are the chargers being towed dead?

They can be MUed. I don’t think any LD Chargers have operated standalone in revenue service yet. All have operated with P42s in a multiple-unit configuration.

A flag flying on a flag pole will be mounted with the blue (stars) towards the flagpole. When moving forward, the flag will fly with that part leading, and stripes trailing.

When an image of a flag is painted/affixed to the surface of a moving vehicle, it must be positioned such that the blue is leading when that vehicle is moving “forward.” Hence the appearance of it being mirrored.

You will find this on the right side of any (properly positioned) moving vehicle, be it a train, bus, airplane, etc.

Thanks for the expalantion. That makes sense.

I guess it makes more sense on buses, airplanes etc though that typically always move in the same direction, versus trains that can move in both directions equally.

Thanks for the expalantion. That makes sense.

I guess it makes more sense on buses, airplanes etc though that typically always move in the same direction, versus trains that can move in both directions equally.

The blue field should always be on the "front" end of a vehicle.

They can be MUed. I don’t think any LD Chargers have operated standalone in revenue service yet. All have operated with P42s in a multiple-unit configuration.
They have at least on 8 between Spokane and Seattle. I've seen it with only one Charger at the front.
Are they not going to repaint 308 to match 309?
Nope, 300-308 are in a special livery. The rest will now be in the livery that 309 is in, the new normal.

The flag code of the United States apparently does not have guidelines for painting the flag in “mirrored form” foe moving trains, planes, ships, etc.. I think in this case it’s more a matter of choice on how the locomotive was painted.

The word “must” is not used within the U.S. Flag Code but the word “should” does appear a lot - like the field of blue “should” appear on the viewers left. If that locomotive was turned around the flag would look odd to me “flying backwards”. But I think it looks cool as in the photo.

The U.S. Flag Code is not enforceable, hence using the word “should” and not “must”.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title4/chapter1&edition=prelim

Back