Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were on Zephyr to Denver on Sunday. Had to stop three times for the engine to reset the computers. We were to get on to go to Sacramento this morning. Got a call that it will be more than 5.5hrs late.

Had to stop three times for the engine to reset the computers
Amtrak has been having issues with all of their Siemens models apparently. The Siemens techs don't know how to fix them because they were hired here and not from Germany, allegedly. Seems to be mostly software issues. Take a look at Amtrak's NEC Alerts twitter account and see that while the time of delay is much less, the NEC is having nearly as much frequency of equipment origination and mechanical issues as the rest of the network nearly every day.

Heading home tomorrow 7-7-22, from Glenwood Springs CO to Galesburg Illinois. Got a very early phone call from Amtrak saying that the train was delayed due to service operations. Right now they say 3.5 hrs late. Could this be problems with the new engines causing a strain on availability for the older P42?

There might be another train on soon-to-have-Chargers list. Amtrak #5(04) has AMTK 305 third out. I read a report it is to be dropped off at Lincoln, Nebraska for crew familiarization.

I should add that 305 has been photographed dropped off at Denver Union Station, not Lincoln.

Thanks to Greylake Trains Youtube channel, ALC-42 #310 and 311 look to be on their way to Wilmington from the factory in Sacramento, courtesy of California Zephyr #6.

Thanks to Greylake Trains Youtube channel, ALC-42 #310 and 311 look to be on their way to Wilmington from the factory in Sacramento, courtesy of California Zephyr #6.

They’ve been in Wilmington since late May/early June. Look back a couple of pages and you’ll see a video when they left the plant.

In a bit of a first today, there were multiple California Zephyrs traveling with a Charger in the consist. In addition to #6(05) with 305, Amtrak #6(07) departed today with AMTK 312 behind the Genesis engines. YouTube user Sam The Railfanner filmed this train getting on the move after a stop at Dixon, California.

Now AMTK 301 is heading west on Amtrak #5(12). The word going around is again this is for crew familiarization.

View attachment 28848
I believe your assumption is correct - When this train arrived at Fort Morgan Colorado, 301 was no longer on the train. Mike, who videos every arrival there, surmised that it was dropped off at Omaha or Lincoln, Nebraska. Another charger had been rumored to be dropped off for crew familiarization a few weeks back in Nebraska, but that unit continued on to California (possibly for warranty work at Siemens? )

I believe your assumption is correct - When this train arrived at Fort Morgan Colorado, 301 was no longer on the train. Mike, who videos every arrival there, surmised that it was dropped off at Omaha or Lincoln, Nebraska. Another charger had been rumored to be dropped off for crew familiarization a few weeks back in Nebraska, but that unit continued on to California (possibly for warranty work at Siemens? )
I think the other one you're referring to ended up in Denver.

One of the Chargers was on Train 27 Thursday as it came out of the Columbia River Gorge. The train was over seven hours late when I photographed it at Washougal, Washington. Ironically, train 27 came through town at almost the exact same time of day that train 28 usually does.

Attachments

• AMTK 306 on NRPC 27 entering Washougal 7-21-2022.jpg
    AMTK 306 on NRPC 27 entering Washougal 7-21-2022.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AMTK 306 on NRPC 27 at Washougal 7-21-2022.jpg
    AMTK 306 on NRPC 27 at Washougal 7-21-2022.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
AMTK 301, which had been in Denver for crew familiarization, has been picked up by Amtrak #5(23) today and is now traveling westward again. Also, 40th anniversary heritage unit AMTK 184 is leading the train. Michael DeMarco filmed this California Zephyr near Fraser, Colorado.

During a recent trip traveling through Chicago, I saw a number of the new locomotives hooked to trains at Union Stations, which appeared to be waiting for passengers (and which had a mix of the Venture and Amfleet/Horizon cars)

During a recent trip traveling through Chicago, I saw a number of the new locomotives hooked to trains at Union Stations, which appeared to be waiting for passengers (and which had a mix of the Venture and Amfleet/Horizon cars)
The SC-44 Chargers for the midwest services have been in service for a few years.

Rode the CONO yesterday and #304 was pulling us. I was amazed at how quiet they are when idling at stations.

Attachments

• 1DF1CE98-FE59-45F9-B9CD-D417C6715E4C.jpeg
    1DF1CE98-FE59-45F9-B9CD-D417C6715E4C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F40139C4-1A7B-4325-87D9-7534EDC55C78.jpeg
    F40139C4-1A7B-4325-87D9-7534EDC55C78.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Was it just 304 or a P-42 second? Picture seems to appear just 304. Someone when Siemens leading and P-42 second compare idling noise.
It was just the Charger. I’ve been on plenty of trains with a P42, I think if the two were coupled together all you would hear is the P42.

Attachments

• IMG_4836.MOV
    15.3 MB
Back