Amtrak Special for the Inauguration (1/19/2021)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to both of you. This is the first that I have learned of the change of plans for both the train and the decision to stay at Blair House on the 19th rather than a hotel.

Also learned that the Blair House must be under "control" of the State Department since that Department invited the Bidens' to use it. If that report is accurate, it encourages me to think that Secretary Pompeo is doing his part in facilitating a proper transition of government.
Pompeo is one of those Tpukelicans that wants to be President in 2024, but hes Distancing himself from the Trumpers since that's the way the Winds Blowing right now in DC!

Hes a Weasel too, an educated ( West Point) Ex Congressman who knew better but turned into a doormat for Trump like so many others( hi Miss Lindsey,Ted,Josh,Kevin etc etc)😣

I am wondering though how people who work there (cleaners, Capitol police, and other regular people) are going to get there for work.
I have no first hand knowledge for this specific case, but in past similar situations elsewhere, there was a list of essential personnel who were provided designated shuttle service of some sort to where they needed to go to perform said essential service.

As it happens, I'm headed into D.C. on No. 125 to connect to No. 29. There's talk about a four-day Amtrak shutdown from the 19th to the 22nd. I'm headed straight to the Metropolitan Lounge and won't leave it until the Capitol rolls out.

I have been indeed wondering if those folks who are being banned from flying, temporarily or otherwise, are now going to travel by Amtrak. I have mixed feelings about a "no ride" list unless it can be accomplished without inconveniencing normal law-abiding Amtrak users.
Amtrak has now requested to be included with the TSA no-fly list and for their OBS to be granted similar protections as flight attendants. I'm supportive of the no-fly list and the on-duty assault protections but I am not supportive of FA style "failure to obey" provisions since they do not exclude made up commands having nothing to do with actual safety.

As it happens, I'm headed into D.C. on No. 125 to connect to No. 29. There's talk about a four-day Amtrak shutdown from the 19th to the 22nd. I'm headed straight to the Metropolitan Lounge and won't leave it until the Capitol rolls out.

Keep me posted on that as one of my partners in my business is taking the Cardinal out on the 20th. So I can give him some forewarning. I changed my plans and am now leaving tonight on the Crescent to New Orleans, then the City of New Orleans north to get to the midwest. Nothing like taking the long way around.

Wonder why they'd shut down the NEC unless Biden actually is going to ride Amtrsk to DC ( in Secret)

Wonder why they'd shut down the NEC unless Biden actually is going to ride Amtrsk to DC ( in Secret)
It's probably easier to maintain a perimeter with roadblocks if trains aren't able to pass through unhindered. Demanding identification for travel in cars and planes also has a stronger legal foundation than approaching people on a commuter train, although this may change in the future. Passenger trains have also been derailed and even bombed by terrorists in the past so it has that threat as well.

Last edited:
I wonder if LD trains or those to Virginia will continue to pass through Union Station, with passengers for Washington disembarking at either New Carrollton or Alexandria. That wouldn't seem to be much of a threat.
I doubt it; even if trains don't stop there they would still have to travel through the 1st Street Tunnel almost directly under the Capitol and would need to change engines at Union Station. I'm thinking that if there is no service to Union Station there would no be service through any stops in the area (except for the Auto Train).

I doubt it; even if trains don't stop there they would still have to travel through the 1st Street Tunnel almost directly under the Capitol and would need to change engines at Union Station. I'm thinking that if there is no service to Union Station there would be service through any stops in the area.
I see that, although they could do the engine swap further north and the Silvers, Cardinal, etc., could pass through at speed. Has there been an official announcement of the cancellations yet?

Keep me posted on that as one of my partners in my business is taking the Cardinal out on the 20th. So I can give him some forewarning. I changed my plans and am now leaving tonight on the Crescent to New Orleans, then the City of New Orleans north to get to the midwest. Nothing like taking the long way around.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone use Washington Union Station until the situation in D.C. cools down. It was very stressful just approaching the city, like I felt afraid to even take pictures because the attendant seemed concerned about what I might be taking pictures of. Just weird anxiety. I happened to step outside for a breath of fresh air and some guy immediately started yelling at me, inspired by some protest across the street from the station. The whole city is wanting to fight. I felt safe in the Metropolitan Lounge (Club Acela?) but I think the station just too close to some action that I don't care to be a part of. There's also the risk of being in the station when or if service gets cancelled. I already have seen too much violence this year in cities I love. I'm on No. 29 right now and am fine, but would have been really nervous if I was waiting in the general waiting area. Didn't see any violence of any sort but it felt too close to a war zone.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone use Washington Union Station until the situation in D.C. cools down. It was very stressful just approaching the city, like I felt afraid to even take pictures because the attendant seemed concerned about what I might be taking pictures of. Just weird anxiety. I happened to step outside for a breath of fresh air and some guy immediately started yelling at me, inspired by some protest across the street from the station. The whole city is wanting to fight. I felt safe in the Metropolitan Lounge (Club Acela?) but I think the station just too close to some action that I don't care to be a part of. There's also the risk of being in the station when or if service gets cancelled. I already have seen too much violence this year in cities I love. I'm on No. 29 right now and am fine, but would have been really nervous if I was waiting in the general waiting area. Didn't see any violence of any sort but it felt too close to a war zone.
You're lucky to be out of there!

Hopefully the Security for this weekend in DC will be ready for any Craziness by Mobs of Insurrectionists and Traitors!

You're lucky to be out of there!

Hopefully the Security for this weekend in DC will be ready for any Craziness by Mobs of Insurrectionists and Traitors!

The thing is, our politics are so splintered right now that people end up arguing with those who agree with them on 80% of the issues! But you know I've had three beers on the train, And if I have four I usually end up with a post removed for talking politics on a board dedicated to trains or investing or baseball ;)

Back