Amtrak Special for the Inauguration (1/19/2021)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW Bob ... that's quite a metro system you got there in Austin. I'm jealous;
It may not be much now but it's growing over time. Down south we are destined to remain the largest city in America without local rail thanks to a Chamber of Commerce and State Government that are stuck in the past and determined to do whatever it takes to prevent another Texas city from joining the metro rail club.

It may not be much now but it's growing over time. Down south we are destined to remain the largest city in America without local rail thanks to a Chamber of Commerce and State Government that are stuck in the past and determined to do whatever it takes to prevent another Texas city from joining the metro rail club.
I know the Ex- Mayor that pushed this was anti-Rail, but how did the Chamber of Commerce, in what is a Major Tourist Destination City, convince other Politicians to support this nonsense??

San Antonio used to be a Progressive City when Henry Cisneros and Nelson Wolff were the Mayors!

Last edited:
That's a shame...I'm sure Mr. Biden had to really think hard, before accepting that unfortunate reality. It is a sad day for the nation, when such measures have to be taken, but democracy will prevail.
I saw this coming. Biden won't be able to take a train anywhere until he leaves office.

As I said in an earlier post, protection on trains is something hard to achieve.
Indeed it takes a lot of doing. When Indian Railways operated trains in the state of Assam duringthe ULFA uprising, we saw an example of what it takes - armed guards at each bridge, tunnel and other features that are easy to undermine, a pilot train running just ahead of the actual train, and on and on. But they did manage to run skeletal service through that mayhem since people depended on the existence of the service.

I know the Ex- Mayor that pushed this was anti-Rail, but how did the Chamber of Commerce, in what is a Major Tourist Destination City, convince other Politicians to support this nonsense?? San Antonio used to be a Progressive City when Henry Cisneros and Nelson Wolff were the Mayors!
sa_map.png
We may be large for a city with no rail but we're small relative to all the freeways we keep expanding at higher financial cost and environmental impact. The Chambers represent business interests like road construction and maintenance companies. They helped promote and bankroll Taylor & friends as fake moderates who worked with our local media and public relations firms to convert light rail into a tax hammer and loyalty oath that bludgeoned longtime supporters into submission. Today former passenger rail stalwarts like Cisneros, Wolff, and Nirenburg are now anti-rail in their public comments. They still promote public transportation in the form of state and Chamber approved bus service but they also say that they've learned their lesson and will not attempt to support passenger rail again.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/lo...an-Antonio-Even-longtime-backers-13602868.php

Last edited:
Biden will not be taking Amtrak for the inauguration due to the security risk.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...biden-amtrak-inauguration-security/index.html

Thanks to both of you. This is the first that I have learned of the change of plans for both the train and the decision to stay at Blair House on the 19th rather than a hotel.

Also learned that the Blair House must be under "control" of the State Department since that Department invited the Bidens' to use it. If that report is accurate, it encourages me to think that Secretary Pompeo is doing his part in facilitating a proper transition of government.

I'm sure well learn lots about the Bidens and Harris' Family preferences and tastes soon!

For 4 years, we have learned very, very little about the Trump family's life in the White House. Contrasting this with the 8 years of President Obama and his family has been striking to me.

We have learned, I think, that President Trump is a non-drinker. I have mixed feelings about that. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine would relax the man. Or, maybe the wine would make him even more of an angry, resentful person.

Some of what we're being told could turn out to be intentional misinformation as well. Not saying it is, just that it's possible what the media are being told today could turn out to be part of the safety protocol itself. I'll feel better if everything goes smoothly but I don't think we have any way of knowing what will happen or how serious these people are about risking their freedom and livelihood in the pursuit of anarchy. With regard to the current residents I haven't seen any obvious intoxication but he's rumored to have an extreme fear of poisoning which may preclude drinking cocktails and such. I have seen some behavior that was consistent with a certain controlled stimulant. I'm not intending to say that this is the best/only explanation, just that it was convincing enough to be within the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
Some of what we're being told could turn out to be intentional misinformation as well. Not saying it is, just that it's possible what the media are being told today could turn out to be part of the safety protocol itself. I'll feel better if everything goes smoothly but I don't think we have any way of knowing what will happen or how serious these people are about risking their freedom and livelihood in the pursuit of anarchy. With regard to the current residents I haven't seen any obvious intoxication but he's rumored to have an extreme fear of poisoning which may preclude drinking cocktails and such. I have seen behavior that was consistent with a certain controlled stimulant. I'm not intending to say that this is the best/only explanation, just that it was within the realm of possibility.

Interesting thoughts; thanks for posting them.

While things are certainly a mess, this isn't unique to our modern time. Remember, President Elect Lincoln had to travel incognito, to avoid an assassination attempt on him on the train trip to DC, at Baltimore, as well, way back in 1861. Thwarted largely by Mr. Pinkerton, it's a reminder, that no matter how much changes, some things remain the same.

Amtrak posted the following statement from CEO Bill Flynn:
“There is nothing more important than the safety of our employees. Since the start of the pandemic, our dedicated frontline employees have kept our trains running, providing a vital transportation service to essential workers. We join our labor partners in continuing to call upon Congress and the Administration to make assaults against rail workers a Federal crime, as it is for aviation workers, and to expand the TSA’s “No Fly List” to rail passenger service.
“After last week’s violent attack on the U.S. Capitol, we are taking extra steps to continue ensuring the safety of our employees and customers in Washington DC and across our network as we prepare for the Inauguration. In addition to limiting ticket sales and requiring masks to be worn at all times, we are increasing our police enforcement to ensure strong compliance, remove noncomplying customers and ban those that don’t follow our policies. This includes deploying additional Amtrak Police officers onboard our trains and in our stations to support our frontline staff, and utilizing additional support from TSA and partner law enforcement agencies.
“The Amtrak Police Department is a member of the steering committee for the upcoming Inaugural Ceremonies and has prepared a robust strategy to secure our stations, trains and infrastructure. We also continue to work closely with and utilize the resources of our federal, state and local partners.”

For 4 years, we have learned very, very little about the Trump family's life in the White House. Contrasting this with the 8 years of President Obama and his family has been striking to me.

We have learned, I think, that President Trump is a non-drinker. I have mixed feelings about that. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine would relax the man. Or, maybe the wine would make him even more of an angry, resentful person.

We know President Biden will be bringing his dog to the Whitehouse.

That's interesting stuff to contemplate. What we do know is that our president loves his Big Mac hamburgers and Oreo cookies... documented by a very robust waistline!🤣😝🤪

t-mcdonalds-Big-Mac.jpg

MARC is suspending all service into Union Station from Jan 17th to Jan 20th.

This seems to me an overreaction. They're giving in to the terrorists.

It makes sense for the president-elect not to use the train. It makes sense to enhance security around key government buildings. It makes sense to continue with the inauguration but close it to the public.

Shutting down the entire city is going too far, IMHO (unless they have credible specific threats against rail infrastructure.)

As a now infamous man said "It is what it is" ;)

At present basically the Mall area is completely shut down, roughly 17th onwards, reopening on the 21st. All, Metro access is shut down, and all commuter rail access is now shut down too. I suspect all bus access is too.

I suspect the credible threat is about insurrection, and the shutdowns are to make it difficult for people to get inside the perimeter that is protected. I also suspect that the planners of this do have a little bit more knowledge of the ground realities at present than anyone on this board, though some may feel otherwise. :D

Last edited:
Back