Amtrak Station Winslow, AZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have planned a trip to the Grand Canyon North rim that will start in Winslow, AZ. The Amtrak station is at the LaPosda Hotel and we have lodged there before, Train arrives at around 8:30 PM so we will stay at the hotel for the evening. The next day we will will take a road trip to the North Rim but we are having trouble finding a car rental in Winslow. Does anyone know if there is a rental agency there and if you used it how was the expereince?

Thank you. I checked that out and the Google search only turned up one car rental place that was next to a pawn shop. Its claimed to be a Dollar Car Rental place but the reviews say that its not so great. It also doesn't come up on the Dollar Car Rental website location search in that town. Still searching but this location doesn't look so great and has only two car models to rent. I would have taken the SW Chief to Flagstaff (that has many car rental places) but the wife loves the LaPosada hotel so its Winslow. Do we have any members here from Winslow here that can add something?

If you can swing it, try to get the Managers Apartment at the La Posada. It’s one of the only rooms that faces the tracks and is a very nice room. Just know it can be a bit loud when trains are powering up as they depart (usually the eastbound trains).

To reply to the suggestions:
The LaPosada only knew about the rinky dink car rental agency in Winslow
The regional airport does not have a car rental counter
Nothing available with Turo in Winslow so far
As for room; its already booked and its a deluxe unit with a king bed on the road side. While we like to watch trains we prefer the front side rooms at LaPosada. Last time we were there a train seemed to pass every10 minutes. Should we desire to train watch. we can always go out back, but quiet when sleeping is nice.
Right now it appears that the tiny Dollar Car Rental place is it, but what concerns is is that I've read that they have had problems with their cars breaking down.

For most smaller non-towered airports, there is no car rental counter. You call and ask the FBO how they handle rental cars. Some FBOs will get a car arranged for you usually at a bit higher price full service, or some will give you a number to call for what works best in their area. 928-289-0100 shows as the FBO number Wiseman Aviation. Not sure who you tried before, but normally you want to talk to the FBO for a rental car service, not the airport manager or owner.

Another idea for smaller towns that at least have a car dealer is to check with them. There appears to be a Ford dealer, and 2-4 used car dealers. I have setup rentals in small town auto dealers like this (although I had to cancel for bad IFR weather) after being told by the FBO this is the recommended way.

We too will go out of our way to stay at LaPosada. So, how about spending a full day there to enjoy it while recovering from your train ride. Then take the SWC to Flagstaff the next evening and get your rental there.
I really think this is the best option when all factors are considered. Winslow has the appeal of childhood nostalgia for me but if I take off the rose colored glasses that town is way past its prime and this is a bad time to be at the mercy of a single car rental location. If you decide to rent in Winslow anyway I would be very proactive about calling and reconfirming everything is ready and waiting including names and dates. I would also use a credit card with good travel protections and document everything.

To reply to the suggestions:
The LaPosada only knew about the rinky dink car rental agency in Winslow
The regional airport does not have a car rental counter
Nothing available with Turo in Winslow so far
As for room; its already booked and its a deluxe unit with a king bed on the road side. While we like to watch trains we prefer the front side rooms at LaPosada. Last time we were there a train seemed to pass every10 minutes. Should we desire to train watch. we can always go out back, but quiet when sleeping is nice.
Right now it appears that the tiny Dollar Car Rental place is it, but what concerns is is that I've read that they have had problems with their cars breaking down.
Reviews of car rental places tend to be negative. Positive experiences don't usually impel someone to leave a review.

I guess the only course of action is to keep calling all the suggested places and hope for the best. The Dollar Car Rental place in Winslow doesn't even come up as a locatio on the national Dollar Car rental website so you cannot reserve online. Since Dollar doesn't acknowledge that it is even part of their franchise system, this must be a very tiny operation. They do not answer the phone most of the time. You just get a recording. The good news is that we have 10 months to figure it out

Back