Amtrak Status Maps Down?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak Status Maps are now working.

Not working (yet):
Archives
Alerts
Station Status Boards

jb

[Addition]

So if you ask to see the file for a train that is still running, you'll get it. But if you ask for a train which has finished its run, and therefore is archived, you won't get it. That's the next thing I'll be fixing.
jb

Last edited:
Amtrak Status Maps are now working.

Not working (yet):
Archives
Alerts
Station Status Boards

jb

[Addition]

So if you ask to see the file for a train that is still running, you'll get it. But if you ask for a train which has finished its run, and therefore is archived, you won't get it. That's the next thing I'll be fixing.
jb
Thanks for all the hard work John, this is a great tool for all of us!😎

Last edited:
This one has been working all along:
https://www.amtrak.com/track-your-train
This one has had server problems and is now back online:
http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/getmap.pl?mapname=West
It is the better one of the two in that clicking on the train number
results in more detail about the schedule times and progress - - -
Clicking on the RED Details arrow results in even greater detail
Moving to the bottom of that page and zooming in shows the SPEED
progress between two points -
Grey - zero stopped to yard speed
Yellow/Orange - intermediate speed
Red - high ball maximum speed
Clicking on the speed ball results in date time speed and direction

Refreshing every few minutes results in moving the ball toward the
next destination (stop)
When the ball is stopped out in the middle of nowhere must be due
to traffic ahead - shifting one or more trains to sidings or passing thru a yard
Explanation is not given - - -

The only complaint is the time is not shown the instant of arrival departure

"It is as if someone working the station ticket counter or baggage service has
to come in from the tracks to record the information - a delay or 1 to 5 minutes or so.

But this will be as close to on board monitoring as it gets.

Used just right now and it has not posted #7 arrival at MSP -
Suspect that the baggage agent is out un/loading the luggage and will resume other time keeping clerical duties ???

Very happy to see the status maps up and running again. I have really missed this site the past couple of weeks. It's a wonderfully useful tool. Makes it quick and easy to get information while traveling, and it's also fun to check from home just to see how things are going out on the rails. Thank you to John for maintaining and repairing.

Maps are up and running, but things aren't working right. Amtrak is reporting that their system is messed up.

It's not me this time!

jb

[Edit Additional]

I know it's Amtrak this time because my wife is in Washington, D.C., waiting to board 19. None of the Amtrak employees knew when it was going to arrive from New York, because "the system" was down.

Last edited:
When I worked for ODOT in the early 1970's I could call the SP Oregon Division dispatcher in Portland and they knew where Train 14 was. They didn't even bother to ask who I was (we would prepare a transport brief for Gov. McCall during weather emergencies). Amtrak only had the departure time from Klamath Falls and the next report would be at Eugene.

A couple of times I called the BN dispatcher in Tacoma via the state phone line from Salem to Portland, the former SP&S switchboard there, and then the BN line to Tacoma.

The information available thanks to the internet volunteers is a miracle compared to that. Thank you!

10/11/2021 more progress.

If you want to find how a train which is currently running is doing, all you have to do is click on that train's number on the map.

If you want to find out the same thing OR how a train which has finished its run did, go here and select your train and date.
jb

[Edit Additional]
The number of files of trains which have been archived (have completed their runs) is pretty thin right now. It'll take another month to retrieve them all.

None are a terribly exact system at best.
It is as if the station clerk after counting tickets loading handling baggage duties and etc. comes in off the tracks and has to manual update the progress !
Some airlines are not so great at doing this time keeping also.
In this day and age of computers when train movement is detected update the progress at that instant.
The dixielandsoftware is pretty good at updating (look at the colored ball movement for time direction and speed of travel) but still yet lags behind
on the exact location of the train - in some cases the train has arrived passengers offloaded with luggage and moved on to the next station stop
before the graph image or chart is updated.
Punctuationality one could set ones watch by used to be the norm -
Now the least little incident - trespassers on the tracks - cars trucks even buses stuck in place - racing in a futile effort to beat the train to the
crossing - ignoring train horns and warning signals is fair game in the quest and the whole schedule thing goes haywire.
That and the cosmetic sheet metal at the front of the locomotive - what happened to the venerable cow catcher ?

AND THEN ALL THE SPANISH INQUISTION OF the accident that happened further DELAYING the train !

None are a terribly exact system at best.
It is as if the station clerk after counting tickets loading handling baggage duties and etc. comes in off the tracks and has to manual update the progress !
Some airlines are not so great at doing this time keeping also.
In this day and age of computers when train movement is detected update the progress at that instant.
The dixielandsoftware is pretty good at updating (look at the colored ball movement for time direction and speed of travel) but still yet lags behind
on the exact location of the train - in some cases the train has arrived passengers offloaded with luggage and moved on to the next station stop
before the graph image or chart is updated.
Punctuationality one could set ones watch by used to be the norm -
Now the least little incident - trespassers on the tracks - cars trucks even buses stuck in place - racing in a futile effort to beat the train to the
crossing - ignoring train horns and warning signals is fair game in the quest and the whole schedule thing goes haywire.
That and the cosmetic sheet metal at the front of the locomotive - what happened to the venerable cow catcher ?

AND THEN ALL THE SPANISH INQUISTION OF the accident that happened further DELAYING the train !
I believe there is an intended delay to displaying the locations, both for the manual updates & the GPS updates.

Back