Amtrak Still Advertising the Railfone on my Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
I'm on 125 this morning, and the display in BC is advertising that the Railfone is at that end of the car. Just wondering, but how many years out of date is that message?

Attachments

• 20200213_062431.jpg
    20200213_062431.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 66
Back in the early 2000's I commuted on the NE Regional from Boston to Stamford CT twice a week. Of course the BC seats were full of folks yelling on their phones. There was a notorious 20 minute dead spot in Rhode Island. It was really entertaining to watch 40 frustrated yappers dialing and redialing, and for extra fun, watch several of them line up to use (and pay for) the Railfone, not realizing that it was just a cellphone in a box and just as dead.

Recalling those phone booth's on the old MU Metroliner's...I just had to be one of many intrigued by its availability, and made the typical call: "Guess where I'm calling you from?".
It used coins, not credit cards. And, IIRC, the previous premier train on the NY/Washington run, the Afternoon Congressional also had a phone booth.

Recalling those phone booth's on the old MU Metroliner's...I just had to be one of many intrigued by its availability, and made the typical call: "Guess where I'm calling you from?".
It used coins, not credit cards. And, IIRC, the previous premier train on the NY/Washington run, the Afternoon Congressional also had a phone booth.
I never used them but watched the Businessmen and Washington Players make many a Call while riding.

Honestly, I still think the Metroliners were overall a better ride than the Acelas!

That is truly amazing, I think I saw a similar scrolling message several months ago. I mean, what business, that is actually operated like a business, would stand for this kind of outdated BS? Typical Amtrak, I mean TYPICAL.

Not proud of the fact that I did one of those "Guess where I'm calling from calls" to a significant other at the time (1976, Metroliner NYP>WAS). Once. For one minute. I forget the cost but I still recall thinking it was outrageously expensive.

Not proud of the fact that I did one of those "Guess where I'm calling from calls" to a significant other at the time (1976, Metroliner NYP>WAS). Once. For one minute. I forget the cost but I still recall thinking it was outrageously expensive.
I think my parents either did that once or let me do it once on a plane in the '90s.

Back