Amtrak SWC statement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a month old but interesting timing, the statement came in Anderson’s last two “official” weeks as CEO. Hopefully that bodes well for Amtrak’s thinking going forward.

From the article, you linked above:

Amtrak says Southwest Chief’s New Mexico routes to remain
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
Sunday, March 29th, 2015 at 11:05am

That seems like more than a month old to me.

Web_RIF-summer-literacy_250.jpg

Custom check?
And where does NM border with KS?🤔
Possibly on the NM State road map. Glad to see that Colorado is suffering what we NM people went through with the "One of our 50 is missing" years when government agencies, private companies and even the US Olympic Committee refused to deal with callers from New Mexico and told the caller "you have to go through your country's contacts" or similar words.

Possibly on the NM State road map. Glad to see that Colorado is suffering what we NM people went through with the "One of our 50 is missing" years when government agencies, private companies and even the US Olympic Committee refused to deal with callers from New Mexico and told the caller "you have to go through your country's contacts" or similar words.
So you also live in NM? May I ask where? I'm in Albuquerque.

So you also live in NM? May I ask where? I'm in Albuquerque.
I did - for 22 years (1968-1992)- in Albuquerque, Alamogordo then south of Las Cruces in Mesquite. Met and married there to my bride of 48 years. Brothers, sister, their children and grandchildren live in Abq and Santa Fe. We go back by train every year and a half to visit our hearts.

I had a friend in college who's family had moved from New Mexico to Evansville, Indiana where they thought he'd come from Mexico (despite being as blond, blue eyed and German named as possible with no discernible accent to his English).

FYI: Effective June 10, 2020, Greyhound Lines is discontinuing the DEN <> RAT Thruway connection to Train 3 and from Train 4. This is account the COVID ridership drop. Aside from being the fastest rail/bus link with the fewest transfers between DEN and LAX it operated in time slots in both directions where other service had been discontinued before the pandemic, so short-haul bus riders are also affected.

Greyhound Lines will now have one trip a day on each of the seven lines radiating from Denver. Raton itself will only have service in one direction according to the booking software tonight. However, that may be corrected.2014 May - June 007k Gate B3.jpg

FYI: Effective June 10, 2020, Greyhound Lines is discontinuing the DEN <> RAT Thruway connection to Train 3 and from Train 4. This is account the COVID ridership drop. Aside from being the fastest rail/bus link with the fewest transfers between DEN and LAX it operated in time slots in both directions where other service had been discontinued before the pandemic, so short-haul bus riders are also affected.

Greyhound Lines will now have one trip a day on each of the seven lines radiating from Denver. Raton itself will only have service in one direction according to the booking software tonight. However, that may be corrected.
Any chance "Bustang" might take over the Thruway route? If they have to stay within Colorado, they could make the connection in Trinidad instead of Raton...

Any chance "Bustang" might take over the Thruway route? If they have to stay within Colorado, they could make the connection in Trinidad instead of Raton...
Since the end of the Desert Wind there have been a lot of suggestions and they each have pros and cons. There is no solution that is clear-cut. The problem with Trinidad (shared with La Junta) is the extra travel time added over Raton Pass. If that difference with Raton is considered, then La Junta with its better station is the best in-state transfer point.

Since the end of the Desert Wind there have been a lot of suggestions and they each have pros and cons. There is no solution that is clear-cut. The problem with Trinidad (shared with La Junta) is the extra travel time added over Raton Pass. If that difference with Raton is considered, then La Junta with its better station is the best in-state transfer point.

I agree, especially if it could be an indicator of potential traffic for a LaJunta to Pueblo or Denver train. But, I do wonder how much of the Raton bus traffic was connecting East and West on the SWC.

If I was traveling to or from the West on the Chief, I would prefer to enjoy the train ride over Raton Pass, and the resulting half hour shorter bus ride to or from Denver. La Junta would be ideal if traveling to or from the East on the Chief. Back in the Santa Fe days, Continental Trailways had a sort of Thruway bus that did just that...it terminated/originated at La Junta. This was in addition to four thru schedules that ran from (Denver) Pueblo to Wichita or Oklahoma City.
They all used the four bay Santa Fe station, a legacy of the old Santa Fe Trailways era.

Back