Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Qapla

OBS Chief
will not remove any storage space. In fact it would create more since you can place things on the floor.
That's the point .... some would still want the cabinets because they don't want to put things on the floor

cocojacoby

Lead Service Attendant
That's the point .... some would still want the cabinets because they don't want to put things on the floor
It's not a cabinet that holds anything and I think it is as big as it is to place the toilet paper within reach. I don't think there is anything inside it and a table that folds down from the wall would be a good option.

Qapla

OBS Chief
I'm not disagreeing with you ... just pointing out that, no matter how they redesign the rooms, someone would complain - you can't please everybody.

Looks like it's harder to flatten out and stow away.... Does it really get close to getting back to original size?
Absolutely. You open the valve and lay on it for a few minutes. All the air eventually comes out, you close the valve, fold it in half lengthwise and roll it up. Or you can leave the valve open as you fold and roll, and all air escapes. Considering how comfortable it is when inflated, it rolls up quite small. Shocked-corded to the extended handle of our 20" Samsonite Spinner, it's quite easy to travel with. (You'd want to put it in the suitcase if checking it for air travel.)

ET2020

Train Attendant
Absolutely. You open the valve and lay on it for a few minutes. All the air eventually comes out, you close the valve, fold it in half lengthwise and roll it up. Or you can leave the valve open as you fold and roll, and all air escapes. Considering how comfortable it is when inflated, it rolls up quite small. Shocked-corded to the extended handle of our 20" Samsonite Spinner, it's quite easy to travel with. (You'd want to put it in the suitcase if checking it for air travel.)
Are you in the syndicated news business?

cocojacoby

Lead Service Attendant
In a short video posted to Instagram, Amtrak shows off what appears to be a Viewliner II bedroom (because of the maroon fabric on the headrest) with new bedding and amenities.
View attachment 16361

There's also large pump-style bottles, with a wall mount bracket (presumably to be mounted on the wall of shared showers).​
All over the Internet there is great concern now that many hotels have gone to the shared pump bottle model in the showers due to growing environmental sensitivities. Suddenly personal safety and the real possibility of sickness/death has made the practice dangerous due to the virus epidemic.

Rasputin

OBS Chief
All over the Internet there is great concern now that many hotels have gone to the shared pump bottle model in the showers due to growing environmental sensitivities. Suddenly personal safety and the real possibility of sickness/death has made the practice dangerous due to the virus epidemic.
There is a problem for every solution.

MikeM

OBS Chief
There is a problem for every solution.
I don't see shared pump bottles being a particular risk. They wash off the spouts daily with a disinfectant like any other surface in the bathroom tub / shower area. In Amtrak showers' case, I think this would be an improvement over random bars of soap littering the soap basin and floor in the shower.

tricia

OBS Chief
Also, soap and shampoo are both so alkaline they don't support microbial growth. Lotion isn't--but commercial lotions are loaded with preservatives designed to prevent mold as well as microbial growth.

Group Builder