Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickycourtney

Conductor
In a short video posted to Instagram, Amtrak shows off what appears to be a Viewliner II bedroom (because of the maroon fabric on the headrest) with new bedding and amenities.
Capture.JPG
Lots to dissect in the few seconds of video...
On the bed is a new blue/grey comforter.
There's a tray with several different amenities, including what appear to be small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion, and small boxes and bags with different items.
There's also large pump-style bottles, with a wall mount bracket (presumably to be mounted on the wall of shared showers).
Also seen are a notecard, a chocolate bar from turn down service and a tote bag.​

As part of the much-maligned flexible dining service, Amtrak also promised "upgraded bedding, towels and linens for sleeping cars —beginning with the Auto Train."

Right, Amtrak only said that the "upgraded bedding, towels and linens for sleeping cars" would be introduced, "in the coming months."

I also feel like it's worth mentioning that in this regard... Amtrak is keeping up with what passengers expect when they're flying international first-class. Most cabins now feature flat-bed seats, that come with a nice duvet, a fluffy pillow, and an amenity kit. Amtrak's threadbare blue blankets just aren't cutting it anymore.

Last edited:
This is a few months old now, but I just noticed this post from when Amtrak showed off the Viewliner II sleeper...

The Points Guy: Amtrak shows off updated long-distance carriages and food options for New York services

Inside the post, there are some more shots of the bedding, towels in the tote bag and new passenger amenities.

fullsizeoutput_22.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_23.jpeg

It would be a step up if they actually put the blanket on the bed again instead of sticking it in a plastic bag and making you do it yourself. No plastic means a bit less trash. Plus, if I wanted to do housework, I would stay home.:rolleyes:
They started putting the blankets in plastic a few years ago to indicate to passengers that the blankets are clean. There had been complaints that blankets had not been laundered between trips.

They started putting the blankets in plastic a few years ago to indicate to passengers that the blankets are clean. There had been complaints that blankets had not been laundered between trips.
I've found this to be a net negative, since when I head back to the room to sleep, the last thing I want to do is mess with figuring out how to unfold the blanket.

It would be a step up if they actually put the blanket on the bed again instead of sticking it in a plastic bag and making you do it yourself. No plastic means a bit less trash. Plus, if I wanted to do housework, I would stay home.:rolleyes:
The blankets will be delivered in the plastic either way. I personally like the blankets being delivered in the plastic as that assures me that they are clean. I love to travel but knowing how little bedding actually gets cleaned / changed at hotels is a bit gross and I try to not think about it.

I've found this to be a net negative, since when I head back to the room to sleep, the last thing I want to do is mess with figuring out how to unfold the blanket.

It just seemed odd--I'm sure someone in a nice hotel somewhere at some time has complained that the blanket wasn't clean, and how many hotels put the blanket in plastic for you to deal with yourself?

I don't like the idea of germs, either, and I always make sure I don't put my face or hands near the blanket--just keep the sheet as a barrier.

The blankets will be delivered in the plastic either way. I personally like the blankets being delivered in the plastic as that assures me that they are clean. I love to travel but knowing how little bedding actually gets cleaned / changed at hotels is a bit gross and I try to not think about it.
The two options are not mutually exclusive. They could always make it an option to have the SCA put the blanket on the bed but have it initially provided in the packaging (if I'm being particularly picky I might opt to watch them put it on, but in general "I have a blanket in a plastic bag" transitioning to "there is a blanket on my bed" isn't something I'm going to be spinning conspiracy theories about).

The biggest issue with telling me to do it myself is that it's a royal pain to get the blanket under the foot of the bed.

The two options are not mutually exclusive. They could always make it an option to have the SCA put the blanket on the bed but have it initially provided in the packaging (if I'm being particularly picky I might opt to watch them put it on, but in general "I have a blanket in a plastic bag" transitioning to "there is a blanket on my bed" isn't something I'm going to be spinning conspiracy theories about).

The biggest issue with telling me to do it myself is that it's a royal pain to get the blanket under the foot of the bed.

I have had a SCA deliver the blanket in the plastic and remove it in front of me and place it on the bed. But they left it folded up. So I guess that's half way?

That's great for the Eastern trains, but when will they offer these "upgraded amenities" on the rest of the long distance fleet?

There not providing these amenities at this time. The point of this thread is to remind people of what was promised.

Also anyone notice how small that blanket is. Put a body or two under it, not much is going to be covered.

Last edited:
It just seemed odd--I'm sure someone in a nice hotel somewhere at some time has complained that the blanket wasn't clean, and how many hotels put the blanket in plastic for you to deal with yourself?

I don't like the idea of germs, either, and I always make sure I don't put my face or hands near the blanket--just keep the sheet as a barrier.
I agree with you. Even “lower class” motels such as Motel 6 do not just put a blanket in a plastic bag on the bed! (Yes I have seen extra pillows or blankets sometimes in bags in the closet.)

And what do all those passengers do with all the excess plastic they get every night?

If you fly international business or first class, the blanket/duvet comes wrapped in plastic and you lay it out yourself. Don't forget where Amtrak's leadership gets their ideas. While the ecology points are well-made I've never heard anyone complain about this on a plane, where there is much less space and far fewer disposal options.

In a short video posted to Instagram, Amtrak shows off what appears to be a Viewliner II bedroom (because of the maroon fabric on the headrest) with new bedding and amenities.
View attachment 16361
Lots to dissect in the few seconds of video...
On the bed is a new blue/grey comforter.
There's a tray with several different amenities, including what appear to be small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion, and small boxes and bags with different items.
There's also large pump-style bottles, with a wall mount bracket (presumably to be mounted on the wall of shared showers).
Also seen are a notecard, a chocolate bar from turn down service and a tote bag.​

As part of the much-maligned flexible dining service, Amtrak also promised "upgraded bedding, towels and linens for sleeping cars —beginning with the Auto Train."

I would expect the new bedding on the Auto train and Viewliner II sleepers first. Following that who knows........

I just want the upgraded bedding and pillows. The blanket in the photo looks very cozy.

My issue with the current blanket in a plastic bag is it’s often very staticky.

I agree with you. Even “lower class” motels such as Motel 6 do not just put a blanket in a plastic bag on the bed! (Yes I have seen extra pillows or blankets sometimes in bags in the closet.)

And what do all those passengers do with all the excess plastic they get every night?

well you don’t get plastic each night, the blanket is delivered in plastic. I personally throw it in the trash can that is in my room. Seems simple enough.

The blankets will be delivered in plastic either way, that’s how commercial cleaners deliver linens and uniforms. The dinner train I used to work on all the tablecloths and uniform aprons / jackets cane wrapped in that same type of plastic.

If you fly international business or first class, the blanket/duvet comes wrapped in plastic and you lay it out yourself. Don't forget where Amtrak's leadership gets their ideas. While the ecology points are well-made I've never heard anyone complain about this on a plane, where there is much less space and far fewer disposal options.
(1) As often as not, the FAs will take the trash away.
(2) Mechanically, the big issue is that in a train berth you generally [A] want/need to get the blanket under the mattress. On a plane, either you can't unless it's a system where the mattress folds out of the seat somehow (in which case it's generally pre-set).

[A] Exception: QR's Spirit of Queensland, which uses a plane-style bed system...and which needs design refinement.

Back