Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice that you can bring your own ... at the same time, when I rent a motel/hotel room - I do not expect to need my own covers from home... the same should be true of the rooms aboard the train.
Exactly!
I think it’s also important to note that even though Amtrak doesn’t call sleepers “first class” anymore... the prices they charge are comparable to first class air fares over the same route. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Amtrak customers to expect similar premium service and amenities.

The amenities are nice but why? I would venture to say that 99.44% of the traveling public are going to be carrying their own "preferred" brand of toiletries. I cannot see why Amtrak would waste the money provisioning each room with them. They are nice but most will just through them in their suitcase or just tote the apparent shopping bag they come in right off the train. A few of the "oops I forgot to pack" essentials (toothbrush, toothpaste, etc) could be stocked/replenished as needed in each car like extra towels or boxes of tissues and provided to the passenger(s) as needed.

Now the blankets (whether bagged or not) looks like they are one - way too short and second look like they would slide right off the bed? I never had a issue with the ol' woven style blankets that were in the pre-made lower bed "bed rolls" (mattress, sheet, blanket) kept in the upper bunk and the the upper bunk already made up. I always make up my own bed when I'm ready instead of having the SCA do it.

It's nice that you can bring your own ... at the same time, when I rent a motel/hotel room - I do not expect to need my own covers from home... the same should be true of the rooms aboard the train.
It's really not that hard. You're bringing you car! It's only one night! The "thread-count" is so totally ridiculous...it won't have me sleep any better on the train. ummm...It's not a hotel!!!! And I have all my "toiletries" in my gym bag...don't need their's!

The amenities are nice but why? I would venture to say that 99.44% of the traveling public are going to be carrying their own "preferred" brand of toiletries.
Some of my preferred toiletries don't come in TSA sizing. Since I usually have to fly at least one direction this can create a problem. If Amtrak was stocking more toiletries it might be helpful. They could choose to keep such items with the SCA for by-request service in order to keep costs and waste down.

It's really not that hard. You're bringing you car! It's only one night! The "thread-count" is so totally ridiculous...it won't have me sleep any better on the train. ummm...It's not a hotel!!!! And I have all my "toiletries" in my gym bag...don't need their's!
What's with all the shouting? None of my Amtrak trips have involved bringing my car and many were longer than one night. I'm glad you found a solution for the one train you ride, but that doesn't mean it will help with all the other trains that do not include auto racks.

Last edited:
I just took a closer look at the photos on page 1 of this thread, and I think the new items look very nice, for what they are.
I detest woven or wool blankets; they make me itch, and I get overheated quickly.
The new blue ones look quilted and are probably micro-fiber, or similar, and they are smoother on the hands and face, and cooler than the woven ones.
And, since it's only an overnight ride, the toiletries look like they are of decent quality, and would surely get one through the night, allowing me to leave such items in my car,
and not deduct from other more important things to carry on to the train. It also looked like the blanket was the full length of the mattress so, unless you're hanging over the bed while sleeping,
I would think it's long enough to cover you.
I just booked my First Auto Train trip in a Superliner Bedroom, and I hope I am happy with these items. I'll let you know..:)
In the meantime, anyone who travels prior please report back after you have a hands-on experience with these.
Thanks!

Besides, it ridiculous to start carrying around all sorts of extraneous stuff when you're traveling by any form of public transportation. That includes, coolers, too, in my opinion,anyway.

My take on the current Amtrak bedding is that the sheets are fine, and the blankets are a bit threadbare and need to be replaced. It seems like that's what they're planning to do, so why all the criticism?

?????? It wasn't all CAP's ?!?!?!? I'm referring to the AutoTrain! Everyone knows me as I commute on it monthly!
1) Not everyone rides the Auto Train. It’s one of many, many routes.

2) We are WELL AWARE you ride the Auto Train frequently. You post pictures of your cooler/snacks/table in every thread possible, even those that have nothing to do with the Auto Train.

1) Not everyone rides the Auto Train. It’s one of many, many routes.

2) We are WELL AWARE you ride the Auto Train frequently. You post pictures of your cooler/snacks/table in every thread possible, even those that have nothing to do with the Auto Train.
I assumed when the topic is "food" or "sleepers" ... it would be apropos to other Amtrak trains too! And a picture is worth 1,000 words. Sorry if my pics offend you. Just thought someone else would like to get an actual "look". I'll see the new sleeper enhancements on Saturday...won't bother you with pics.

I assumed when the topic is "food" or "sleepers" ... it would be apropos to other Amtrak trains too! And a picture is worth 1,000 words. Sorry if my pics offend you. Just thought someone else would like to get an actual "look". I'll see the new sleeper enhancements on Saturday...won't bother you with pics.

Photos of the new bedding would be of wide interest here. More photos of your cooler etc, maybe not so much.

?????? It wasn't all CAP's ?!?!?!? I'm referring to the AutoTrain! Everyone knows me as I commute on it monthly!
I was referring the inclusion of seven exclamation marks in a short and otherwise unremarkable post. Looks like you've included another five more here just for good measure. If you weren't shouting I guess you were just shocked and rattled at the idea that someone might decline to bring the kitchen sink to their next train ride.

I would really appreciate the pictures, RichieRich ! & I don't mind if some of them are of food or coolers :p
I'd really like to see more pictures of a superliner bedroom, from all possible angles.
Thanks !
ET:)

Were the old blankets wool?

I'm allergic to wool and always wondered why my nose was stuffy and I had a sore throat the next morning after an overnight trip--I just put it down to stale air circulating. Heck, who knew? (Well, probably everyone but me!:D:rolleyes:)

So I'll look forward to the new blankets for that reason alone.

I would really appreciate the pictures, RichieRich ! & I don't mind if some of them are of food or coolers :p I'd really like to see more pictures of a superliner bedroom, from all possible angles. Thanks ! ET:)
Rather than asking him to spam the forum with the same content for the 100th time maybe you could look through his posting history first?

I have yet to try any of the Amtrak covers - I don't mind riding coach.

That said, I would prefer a quilt or comforter to either a wool blanket or microfibers.

Having gotten off the Auto Train on January 29th, none of the "new amenities" were in my Roomette which was in one of the "Deluxe Sleepers". The thin blue blanket was provided in its customary plastic bag which I then unpacked and tried to cover the bed. Tucking it in at the foot of the bed without me pulling it out during the night was impossible for me to do. I have yet to have a night in a Roomette on any train where my bed in the morning was simply a mess of tangled sheets and the thin blanket.

We'll be giving it a go again next week. Upgraded anything? Who knows.. On time (highly unlikely owing to my previous limited sampling -- two trips, 12 hrs and 5 hours late respectively).

Third Time's the Charm ... yep, that's what I'm sticking with !

We'll be giving it a go again next week. Upgraded anything? Who knows.. On time (highly unlikely owing to my previous limited sampling -- two trips, 12 hrs and 5 hours late respectively).

Third Time's the Charm ... yep, that's what I'm sticking with !

Good Luck!
I wish you a great 3rd Trip :D
Let us know how it goes.........
ET :)

Some of my preferred toiletries don't come in TSA sizing. Since I usually have to fly at least one direction this can create a problem. If Amtrak was stocking more toiletries it might be helpful. They could choose to keep such items with the SCA for by-request service in order to keep costs and waste down.
Because Amtrak would probably require that the SCA fill out a multi-part form and have you sign it to get the toiletries in case the SCA was stealing it. :D

Back