Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because Amtrak would probably require that the SCA fill out a multi-part form and have you sign it to get the toiletries in case the SCA was stealing it. :D

Imagine if the airlines followed Amtrak’s procedures and had every passenger sign for every free bottle of water or meal they got.

I have had a SCA deliver the blanket in the plastic and remove it in front of me and place it on the bed. But they left it folded up. So I guess that's half way?

The SCA's all iniall are pretty courteous and accommodating.
I've seen the blankets in the upper bunks, ready for deployment, but every time I have come back to a made up berth or had it made up for me, the plastic wrap was gone and the blanket ready for a snooze.

Of course, I usually do it myself, as I put both mattresses on the lower bunk. And return one to the upper before I leave for a meal. ANd I tip a little more since the SCA will have to deal with two sleeping setups for a one passenger room.

I've seen the blankets in the upper bunks, ready for deployment, but every time I have come back to a made up berth or had it made up for me, the plastic wrap was gone and the blanket ready for a snooze.

Of course, I usually do it myself, as I put both mattresses on the lower bunk. And return one to the upper before I leave for a meal. ANd I tip a little more since the SCA will have to deal with two sleeping setups for a one passenger room.

DrDumont - Is that a massive Wurlitzer in your picture?:cool:

DrDumont - Is that a massive Wurlitzer in your picture?:cool:

That is the 7-331 Midmer Losh organ in the Atlantic City Convention Center, now known as Boardwalk Hall. Pic taken the first time the organ had been heard since the 60's. Oct 31, 1988 or thereabouts.
It is interesting that many organ aficionados are also Foamers. I confess, I are one, too.

What I'd love to see in the sleepers is a wall mount dispenser for soap, shampoo, and maybe conditioner. I've seen bar soap in many showers but nothing else. The space is confined and I think many passengers would appreciate it, especially those who assume shampoo is provided as it is in most hotels. A wall mount dispenser would curb clutter, not generate extra waste like individual small bottles, and wouldn't cost all that much to provide.

I'd luv to know just how many people actually have taken a shower in their bedroom. It's smaller then a phone booth...you can do a #1, #2, #3 (shower) all at the same time! I go downstairs and bring all my own stuff. But, there is a tub of soaps, and a bottle of shampoo already there. I was the only one today!

A
That is the 7-331 Midmer Losh organ in the Atlantic City Convention Center, now known as Boardwalk Hall. Pic taken the first time the organ had been heard since the 60's. Oct 31, 1988 or thereabouts.
It is interesting that many organ aficionados are also Foamers. I confess, I are one, too.
Another foamer plus organ enthusiast here, I see you also have the Wanamaker on your site. The golden age of theatre organs was about the same time as the golden age of trains. (So this is marginally on topic)

I'm overweight, and I manage to shower in the bedroom just fine. I've never felt crammed in.

Thanks for the 1st-hand info. I am of the "Plus-Size" (simply too short for my weight):rolleyes: And I am planning to use the shower in the bedroom unit on our first trip in sleeper accommodations!
You've given me hope !:p
ET

I think I must be missing something here. Is there some reason why some passengers on Amtrak are concerned about getting a freshly cleaned wrapped-in- plastic blanket for their bed but don't seem concerned about the fact that the sheets on the bed are not wrapped in plastic?

Th
I think I must be missing something here. Is there some reason why some passengers on Amtrak are concerned about getting a freshly cleaned wrapped-in- plastic blanket for their bed but don't seem concerned about the fact that the sheets on the bed are not wrapped in plastic?

They just flip the sheets over to expose the "clean" side. More environmentally friendly that way too... ;)

(jk)

Kudos on the tip!

I'd luv to know just how many people actually have taken a shower in their bedroom. It's smaller then a phone booth...you can do a #1, #2, #3 (shower) all at the SAME TIME! I go downstairs and bring all my own stuff. But, there is a tub of soaps, and a bottle of shampoo already there. I was the ONLY ONE today!
Done both in-room and lower level. My first two trips in a Bedroom (Deluxe Bedroom back then) SL equipment and before the lower-level shower and upper-level public restrooms were installed. The in-room baths weren't that great but did the job. They initially had timed valves on them and timed in very short intervals. That was a bit of a PIA. The other was that the water temperature control was non-existent. Just a pre-mix valve under the sink in the room. It could be adjusted by the SCA with a small wrench if intolorable for the passenger. Luckily the system was redesigned when they went in for major service with a wrenchless valve in the bath. And the lower-level shower added for Roomette (Economy Room then) passengers as well as the upper-level public restroom. Never really had a issues showering other than the first time being a bit chilly for my preference.

And it was suggested that passengers shower in-room sitting down. So to answer someone else's query, yeah I guess you could do your "business" while showering.

I'd luv to know just how many people actually have taken a shower in their bedroom. It's smaller then a phone booth...you can do a #1, #2, #3 (shower) all at the same time! I go downstairs and bring all my own stuff. But, there is a tub of soaps, and a bottle of shampoo already there. I was the only one today!
I did OK with the shower-in-the-bedroom. The only problem I had was a bit of water flowing over the lip on the door. The presence of the toilet doesn't really bother me, as it's sealed off pretty well when the cover is down. It's sure better than the toilet in the Viewliner roomette, anyway, and that's tolerable if you're traveling by yourself.

If I ever ride in a bedroom again, I will probably use the included shower and not bother to go downstairs.

I'm overweight, and I manage to shower in the bedroom just fine. I've never felt crammed in.
"I've never felt crammed in." I cry Fake Newz! That thing can't be 22" wide....maybe 18" door-to-toilet. I'll be going back up in 3 weeks and will literally take a tape measure.

Attachments

• shower.JPG
    shower.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 48
"I've never felt crammed in." I cry Fake Newz! That thing can't be 22" wide....maybe 18" door-to-toilet. I'll be going back up in 3 weeks and will literally take a tape measure.
Oh gosh. You're right. I can't trust my own memory or experiences and have to rely on those of someone who is neither my height nor my weight. Far be it from me to answer a question without consulting you first. Silly girl!

When I say I've never felt crammed in, I mean it. I'm 5'5" and a weight I will not disclose, but I fit just fine.

I can attach pictures too!

Edited to add: I just measured my shower stall at home. It's 20" across. I don't even know how I manage to live in these conditions...

Attachments

• 561869_10101078690043604_740768211_n.jpg
    561869_10101078690043604_740768211_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 51
Over the past few months I’ve had the opportunity to try both multiple times. My take, yes the bedroom shower is tight, but doable. I’m 6’2” and 220, yes I rubbed on the walls, but that didn’t bother me. The biggest PIA to me is you’ll probably want to dry the walls afterwards to make using the faculties afterward much dryer. One nicety would be a little more room to put shampoo and soap. I do enjoy knowing who’s been it it and the floor is super easy to pre-clean if you wish. I also like stepping out and being in my room and the ease of getting dressed with all my stuff right there. Downstairs the shower has more room, but you do need to bring the clothes you wish to wear and you’ll need to transition to a bathroom if you need a sink for getting cleaned up.

Back