Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I've never felt crammed in." I cry Fake Newz! That thing can't be 22" wide....maybe 18" door-to-toilet. I'll be going back up in 3 weeks and will literally take a tape measure.
The picture was a little dark, but gives me a good idea. Please be sure to let me know, once you confirm the measurements.
Thanks!
ET:)

The picture was a little dark, but gives me a good idea. Please be sure to let me know, once you confirm the measurements.
Thanks!

I'll be getting on tomorrow. If I think about it, I'll pop a small tape measure in our carry on stuff. I'll even live stream from inside the shower. On second thought, I'll just try and remember the tape measure! Last time, I opted to skip showering after seeing my options. Downstairs shower is a no-go ... if I can't shower adjacent to my room, it's not happening. Perhaps I'll give it a go in-room this time. If nothing else, I'd be able to say I DID IT!

i-LRfDGD9-XL.jpg

I'll be getting on tomorrow. If I think about it, I'll pop a small tape measure in our carry on stuff. I'll even live stream from inside the shower. On second thought, I'll just try and remember the tape measure! Last time, I opted to skip showering after seeing my options. Downstairs shower is a no-go ... if I can't shower adjacent to my room, it's not happening. Perhaps I'll give it a go in-room this time. If nothing else, I'd be able to say I DID IT!

i-LRfDGD9-XL.jpg
Cool! Thanks for the photo, and I look forward to the live-stream, umm - I mean the measurements ! :)

I'm guessing BLNT did not remember the tape measure :p
Has anyone else taken measurements of the shower in the Sleeper Bedrooms?
Also, what's the longest vehicle allowed on the train ?
I found stated dimensions concerning height, width, ground clearance and tires, but di not see a limit on the length.
Would a full size Chevy Suburban be accommodated?
TIA for anyone who can answer.....

Pretty sure that a Suburban, at 224.4 inches overall, would have no problem.
I used to have an auto, (a ‘76 Lincoln Town Car), that was even 10 inches longer than that...they were popular ‘passengers” on the AT in their day...

I'm guessing BLNT did not remember the tape measure :p
Has anyone else taken measurements of the shower in the Sleeper Bedrooms?
Also, what's the longest vehicle allowed on the train ?
I found stated dimensions concerning height, width, ground clearance and tires, but di not see a limit on the length.
Would a full size Chevy Suburban be accommodated?
TIA for anyone who can answer.....

It was packed in my car on the trip up, BUT... a couple days later on the trip back (I made a point):

i-QSZHkdn-L.jpg

Kinda tight - did not bother, and I'm somewhat slender! Also, I'm 6'0", and had just an inch or two to spare above my head.

It was packed in my car on the trip up, BUT... a couple days later on the trip back (I made a point):

i-QSZHkdn-L.jpg

Kinda tight - did not bother, and I'm somewhat slender! Also, I'm 6'0", and had just an inch or two to spare above my head.
BLNT - THANKS!
I appreciate your taking the time to do that. It's not as narrow as I was thinking, based on other's comments.
I hope you had a nice trip.

Has anyone yet to experience the new amenities and menus on the Auto Train?

We had the opportunity last week, though it was only the (box poured into plastic glass) free wine at dinner. Other than that, everything seems the same compared to our December trip.

Talk is cheap !

We had the opportunity last week, though it was only the (box poured into plastic glass) free wine at dinner. Other than that, everything seems the same compared to our December trip.

Talk is cheap !

Whoa!:( I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping the upgrades would have shown up by now.
I have plenty of time, as my trip is 10 months out. When's your next Auto Train Trip?

Whoa!:( I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping the upgrades would have shown up by now.
I have plenty of time, as my trip is 10 months out. When's your next Auto Train Trip?

I have a round trip booked for the end of next month. Though given our experiences with delays (and I always get that cramped upper bunk!), and the timing, we'll probably just DRIVE north. Might still give the AT a go coming back south though. Perhaps I'll flip a coin.

How classy! Thanks for the upgraded amenities Amtrak :)
Didn't you read the publicity blurb? Whatever "new amenities" are on the way, they're arriving "in the coming months." And the list also included stuff like the new sleeping cars. I suspect you won't see the new bedding until the new sleeping cars come online. The other stuff is fluff, and I wouldn't care one way or the other about it. Even the contemporary flex dining would be OK if (1) the food were better, and (2) coach passengers could buy them. As it is, the flex dining stuff is edible enough that I'm not going to buy carry-on food at the station if I travel by sleeper for an overnight trip. But I understand why some people might do that.

Didn't you read the publicity blurb? Whatever "new amenities" are on the way, they're arriving "in the coming months." And the list also included stuff like the new sleeping cars. I suspect you won't see the new bedding until the new sleeping cars come online. The other stuff is fluff, and I wouldn't care one way or the other about it. Even the contemporary flex dining would be OK if (1) the food were better, and (2) coach passengers could buy them. As it is, the flex dining stuff is edible enough that I'm not going to buy carry-on food at the station if I travel by sleeper for an overnight trip. But I understand why some people might do that.

I was referring specifically to the wine being poured from a box into a plastic glass.

I was referring specifically to the wine being poured from a box into a plastic glass.

When I was on #52 in January, the glass was served with the wine already in the glass. From what type of container the wine came? I know not. Nonetheless, the wine was drinkable and pleasant.

Something that really rubs me wrong with bogus amenity claims by Amtrak is the fact they do have the money to start the process. Remember last year Anderson made a point to tell everyone Amtrak has a billion with a B in the bank they are sitting on.

I’m not saying deplete the rainy day fund on amenities but honestly how much will new bedding cost? $200,000? 1000 new comforter sets at $200 a set?

I also don’t think the amenities are coming. I think it’s a lie just like the converted V2 diners that supposedly started almost 2 years ago. I’m sorry I’m just very pessimistic and half glass empty with this management and their tactics.

https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-has-1-billion-in-bank-they-aren’t-spending.74954/

Just received the following email offer to upgrade from coach to a Roomette (for 35% off) on the AutoTrain. For the record, I book coach, snag the priority vehicle option, and then upgrade to a bedroom when I'm certain of my plans (so that prior to that I can get a full refund if I cancel).

... make the most of your upcoming Auto Train® trip with an exclusive discount on a Roomette. Enhance your travel experience and enjoy complimentary meals and wine along with our recently upgraded in-room amenities available exclusively in sleeper accommodations.

First off... "meals" (plural) --- somehow I don't consider the cold bagel or cereal they offer in the morning as a "meal"! Also, they should clarify that it's a complimentary GLASS of wine, otherwise some might assume they keep it topped off like water or tea would be.

And, WHAT THE HECK are the "recently upgraded in-room amenities" that they're talking about. That wouldn't be the ones which they began to promote in July '19 as coming in the next several months?

Seems like their PR and promotions departments didn't get the memo: THERE IS NO SPOON !!

That’s great news I’m curious though 35% off what? How much out of pocket would you have had to spend to get the roomette?

More details about your offer:
• Valid for use by the customer(s) associated with this reservation only
• Valid for 35% off the accommodation charge when upgrading your existing reservation from coach to a Roomette on Auto Train 53, Southbound to Sanford, FL
• Apply this coupon by March 11, 2020 for travel March 1 – June 30, 2020
• This coupon can not be applied on Amtrak.com or with the Amtrak® app

More details about your offer:
• Valid for use by the customer(s) associated with this reservation only
• Valid for 35% off the accommodation charge when upgrading your existing reservation from coach to a Roomette on Auto Train 53, Southbound to Sanford, FL
• Apply this coupon by March 11, 2020 for travel March 1 – June 30, 2020
• This coupon can not be applied on Amtrak.com or with the Amtrak[emoji768] app

I have never seen the “amenity kit” promised the last time around. We did get the “free” wine, the small bottle.

If the 35 percent off coupon is off whatever the current bucket fare is the day before travel that may be more then it was the day you booked your coach ticket.

example with made up numbers:

low bucket roomette at booking a month before $200

$350 higher bucket the day before departure minus 35% equals $227.

So if a person thought $200 was too expense to start with, an offer to pay ever more of $227 makes zero sense except in Amtrak’s delusional mind.

Am I missing something?

I have never seen the “amenity kit” promised the last time around. We did get the “free” wine, the small bottle.
When will you ride AT again?
I won't ride it until 2021 - I hope the upgrades happen before then, and are sustained.

Back