Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's harder to flatten out and stow away.... Does it really get close to getting back to original size?
Absolutely. You open the valve and lay on it for a few minutes. All the air eventually comes out, you close the valve, fold it in half lengthwise and roll it up. Or you can leave the valve open as you fold and roll, and all air escapes. Considering how comfortable it is when inflated, it rolls up quite small. Shocked-corded to the extended handle of our 20" Samsonite Spinner, it's quite easy to travel with. (You'd want to put it in the suitcase if checking it for air travel.)

Absolutely. You open the valve and lay on it for a few minutes. All the air eventually comes out, you close the valve, fold it in half lengthwise and roll it up. Or you can leave the valve open as you fold and roll, and all air escapes. Considering how comfortable it is when inflated, it rolls up quite small. Shocked-corded to the extended handle of our 20" Samsonite Spinner, it's quite easy to travel with. (You'd want to put it in the suitcase if checking it for air travel.)
Are you in the syndicated news business?

In a short video posted to Instagram, Amtrak shows off what appears to be a Viewliner II bedroom (because of the maroon fabric on the headrest) with new bedding and amenities.
View attachment 16361

There's also large pump-style bottles, with a wall mount bracket (presumably to be mounted on the wall of shared showers).​

All over the Internet there is great concern now that many hotels have gone to the shared pump bottle model in the showers due to growing environmental sensitivities. Suddenly personal safety and the real possibility of sickness/death has made the practice dangerous due to the virus epidemic.

All over the Internet there is great concern now that many hotels have gone to the shared pump bottle model in the showers due to growing environmental sensitivities. Suddenly personal safety and the real possibility of sickness/death has made the practice dangerous due to the virus epidemic.
There is a problem for every solution.

There is a problem for every solution.
I don't see shared pump bottles being a particular risk. They wash off the spouts daily with a disinfectant like any other surface in the bathroom tub / shower area. In Amtrak showers' case, I think this would be an improvement over random bars of soap littering the soap basin and floor in the shower.

Also, soap and shampoo are both so alkaline they don't support microbial growth. Lotion isn't--but commercial lotions are loaded with preservatives designed to prevent mold as well as microbial growth.

It would be a step up if they actually put the blanket on the bed again instead of sticking it in a plastic bag and making you do it yourself. No plastic means a bit less trash. Plus, if I wanted to do housework, I would stay home.:rolleyes:
I've found this to be a net negative, since when I head back to the room to sleep, the last thing I want to do is mess with figuring out how to unfold the blanket.
Perhaps I've been lucky. I've never had to remove the blanket from the plastic myself. The attendant has always removed it and placed it on the bed for me.

Yeah my experience is that they did not make up the beds for us the last time we rode the Meteor.

Amtrak claims that it's a cleanliness thing to show passengers that the blankets are clean. Really? Did they really receive complaints about that?

Yet they still want me to put my face on the unwrapped pillow that is just tossed on a seat where every prior passenger put their feet and butt!

Give me a break.

Yeah my experience is that they did not make up the beds for us the last time we rode the Meteor.

Amtrak claims that it's a cleanliness thing to show passengers that the blankets are clean. Really? Did they really receive complaints about that?

Yet they still want me to put my face on the unwrapped pillow that is just tossed on a seat where every prior passenger put their feet and butt!

Give me a break.
On my trips in recent years, it has been about 50-50. Sometimes your bed is made up for you and other times you get the blanket in plastic and make up your own bed.

I don't know who came up with this brilliant blanket in plastic idea. I have never checked into a hotel and found my blanket wrapped in plastic on the bed with the expectation that I was going to make up the bed. There must be a model for this someplace, but if so, I haven't encountered it.

And as you note, I don't know why we should be so impressed with receiving a clean blanket in plastic when the sheets and pillowcases are not delivered in that fashion. But maybe we shouldn't give them any ideas.

Still waiting for someone to experience ALL of the promised amenities from the OP to this thread.
Has anyone ridden the Auto Train recently, and experienced the new stuff?

PRICE DROP!
The February 2021 Prices just dropped dramatically.
I booked my return trip from Sanford to Lorton at 1/2 of what it was yesterday, and was able to cover it with AGR points !!
I'm hoping we're back to more normal times by then. 2021 will be my first year in retirement, and our first extended stay / snow-bird trip to Florida.

Shoot. The next time I ride a sleeper I’ll be happy as hell that it’s safe enough for me to travel.
Any speculation when things will open up?
I'm thinking summer we'll be more open in some capacity across much of the U.S.
Am I the King of Wishful Thinking ??

I really don’t know. But as soon as it opens up I’m booking if the medical people say it’s safe.
My hubby seems to be warming to the idea of a train vacation, even before we retire. (Plus he's getting REALLY tired of not being able to go anywhere on weekend day trips!) So just before the weekend, he suggested that the two of us take a week off this fall for a train journey. If we go East, he'd like to visit Gettysburg and Mount Vernon (but NOT DC). Plenty of time to research such a trip before actually booking it, at least!

My hubby seems to be warming to the idea of a train vacation, even before we retire. (Plus he's getting REALLY tired of not being able to go anywhere on weekend day trips!) So just before the weekend, he suggested that the two of us take a week off this fall for a train journey. If we go East, he'd like to visit Gettysburg and Mount Vernon (but NOT DC). Plenty of time to research such a trip before actually booking it, at least!
Virginia and Pennsylvania are really nice in the Fall! ( As is DC actually! lol)

Virginia and Pennsylvania are really nice in the Fall! ( As is DC actually! lol)
I suspect we might have to go via DC on the train; he just doesn't want to spend the night there or attempt to drive a rental car in DC. (We were there once for a convention a couple of decades ago, and the traffic seemed even worse than Chicago!) Fall colors would be nice, though, and fall weather in the Mid-Atlantic states should be moderate enough for pleasant travel.

Alexandria, Virginia, would be a good option instead of staying in DC. A lot of trains that go through DC also stop at Alexandria (station code is ALX).

Several good hotels, a free trolley back and forth, plus I believe you can do a day boat trip from there to Mt. Vernon.

When we had our “Gathering” in DC, quite a few people chose to stay in Alexandria and liked it.

Alexandria, Virginia, would be a good option instead of staying in DC. A lot of trains that go through DC also stop at Alexandria (station code is ALX).

Several good hotels, a free trolley back and forth, plus I believe you can do a day boat trip from there to Mt. Vernon.

When we had our “Gathering” in DC, quite a few people chose to stay in Alexandria and liked it.

That is correct, I did that boat trip to Mount Vernon from Alexandria a few years back and it was amazing! Always thought I have to go back once more.

We stayed in a nice hotel in walking distance to the water front, but you can as well go one more stop on the free trolley towards the water. But I think it was too early in the morning for that, I believe we walked.

Several trains stop in ALX, it is about 15 min from DC (next or previou station, dependingon your direction). Right in front of the station is an area for buses, a d one of those booths is for the free trolley that goes up and down the main street in Old Town (King Street). Many nice hotels, great restaurants and upscale shops are on that street.

I have been there for 4 or 5 weekends a few years ago and I really recommend it for early summer into the fall!

I keep thinking about a short trip to Vermont during the Fall. Yet to happen, though.
:( That's what we thought but we went by train in September so as to avoid leaf season (we have that here where we live in the mountains ow western NC). What we got was ridiculously high leaf season prices in hotels, temperatures in the 80s and no colors at all. But worse, people were not particularly friendly at all. We found friendlier people in NYC unlike when I was young and living there.
They do have maple syrup for breakfast everywhere but charge extra for it. Only the Fairfield Inn in Montpelier was different. At the included breakfast, pure maple syrup was provided in pitchers and at no extra cost. Of course, their hotel price, like all the other places, was as high as the people in Burlington.

Back