Amtrak teases upgraded bedding/amenities for sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the upgraded blanket and pillows on the Auto Train earlier this year. I will say the blanket was an improvement as I didn't find my self shocking myself every time I rolled around! Was on the Starlight recently and it was still the original bedding. I also went onboard the Zephyr (after asking permission) to take a look at a room while it was at the station when I was volunteering there and it was the original bedding as well. Haven't seen one of the refurbished cars yet.

Does it bother anyone that they then throw the "clean" pillows onto the seats where everyone before you has put their shoes, bare feet, butts and God knows what else on?
Doesn't bother me either.

Have y'all considered carrying your own bedroll with an inflatable pillow and your own bed sheets and blankets? I remember we used to carry these things called Holdalls which was basically a bedroll with carrying handles back in India before the railways started providing bedding in Sleepers.

I see that Amazon has a few available like for example...

https://www.amazon.com/1844-Helko-W...keywords=canvas+bedroll&qid=1627063931&sr=8-4
Trust me, it is a fool's errand to expect any outfit to provide you with a completely sterilized environment. It ain't gonna happen. ;)

Last edited:
Where exactly do you expect them to put the clean pillows? Give you a bare pillow and a pillowcase wrapped in plastic? Nobody would ever complain about that! :D
On Indian Railways, at least on the premium trains where they used to deliver bedding before COVID (suspended during COVID), they had an entire setup pack wrapped in plastic delivered, which was opened by the attendant to set things up. Anyway at present I believe there is no bedding delivered at all for the time being unless it has changed recently.

I've ridden Amtrak sleepers consistently since 1971 and take no special measures with their pillows.

I survived.

I do not fear the pillow.
Indeed! Likewise, I have never come down with anything following an Amtrak Sleeper trip yet. Must be my cast iron immune system at work :D

Thai Railways has the plastic wrapped sheets and pillow cases too. Pretty civilized. I love their sleeper service to Chiang Mai, Nong Khai/Vientianne and Padang Besar for Malaysia. They have a new set of trains for BKK/Chiang Mai that are very nice. They were not selling beer on my last two trips and the nights were much quieter with less partying. Go figure...

On Indian Railways, at least on the premium trains where they used to deliver bedding before COVID (suspended during COVID), they had an entire setup pack wrapped in plastic delivered, which was opened by the attendant to set things up. Anyway at present I believe there is no bedding delivered at all for the time being unless it has changed recently.

Indeed! Likewise, I have never come down with anything following an Amtrak Sleeper trip yet. Must be my cast iron immune system at work :D
I do know someone who got bed bugs after two separate trips though (different route and different accommodation)

As someone recalling the Pullman service, I'm taken aback by bedding being an issue. Pullman blankets were beautiful wool and monogramed. Sheets were heavy muslin as sweet and fresh as could be, including generous pillow cases on good down pillows. I recall thinking the bedding beat both a good hotel and home itself.

So should we continue to bring our own blanket/comforter with us on our next 2 night trip to supplement what Amtrak provides? We usually get a big semi thick throwaway type blanket from Walmart/Target. For 10 bucks we’ve found it worth it.

Back