Amtrak & the former IC Grenada District

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I was watching this video from the Iowa Pacific/Grenada Railway passenger excursion on the former Illinois Central mainline in Mississippi, and it got me thinking about when the CONO used it up until being moved to the Yazoo District in 1995. The Coldwater Bridge crossing looked kind of, eh, nerve wracking when this video was taken in 2016. That looks to be no more than, what... 5 mph? I assume back when the track was in mainline condition, the crossing would have been faster.

Since this video was taken, I believe the entire railroad was rebuilt all the way to Canton, where it connects to the IC to Jackson and points south.

Any memories from riding Amtrak on the former IC Grenada District mainline?

If you haven't seen the video, check it out on the link below... the Coldwater crossing starts at 47:00.

Locomotive Ride Along: The Illinois Central Mainline

Great video, thanks for posting the link!

I rode that line several times, before the City was rerouted....
The highlight was Conductor 'Woody' Vinson, who was a "P. A. artist"...he loved to tell the tale of IC engineer "Casey" Jones, who was notorious for the wreck at Vaughn, Mississippi. He was sure to point out the exact spot the wreck occurred...

I was watching this video from the Iowa Pacific/Grenada Railway passenger excursion on the former Illinois Central mainline in Mississippi, and it got me thinking about when the CONO used it up until being moved to the Yazoo District in 1995. The Coldwater Bridge crossing looked kind of, eh, nerve wracking when this video was taken in 2016. That looks to be no more than, what... 5 mph? I assume back when the track was in mainline condition, the crossing would have been faster.

Since this video was taken, I believe the entire railroad was rebuilt all the way to Canton, where it connects to the IC to Jackson and points south.

Any memories from riding Amtrak on the former IC Grenada District mainline?

If you haven't seen the video, check it out on the link below... the Coldwater crossing starts at 47:00.

Locomotive Ride Along: The Illinois Central Mainline
It's been completely rebuilt.

Back