Amtrak to Des Moines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersone

Conductor
I was starting to plan a trip to see the Charming Daughter at Turkey time, thinking I would drive to Galesburg, burn some AGR points to Osceola then Thruway to Des Moines.

In the old days there used to be a Thruway bus,, but when I look at the mother page it is no longer listed. Using the Google God I find references to this services being available during Santa Time but no other. I found a 2011 thread on AU but nothing current . Looks like Jefferson Bus has two a days but the Zeph gets in at 9 PM and the first bus is 5 am,,, and the reverse is even worse Zeph at 7:40 AM with the bus arriving at 12 AM,,,,,

Anyone know anything different?

I took Jefferson Lines between Faribault MN and Osceola IA several times many years ago with my kids to connect to the westbound CZ outbound and from the eastbound CZ on return. Worked very well, except one eastbound CZ was late and just missed the bus connection. But the Amtrak station agent also ran a side business as taxi driver, and drove the 5 of us to Des Moines to catch up with the bus at its next northboknd stop. i think cab fare was about $50 then -- likely double that today.

I can't find any good options coming from the east anymore. traveling from the west into des moines works with the Jefferson Lines. Looks like Arrow Bus lines provided this service as recent as 2013 but not anymore.

In the past, when all 4 of the Des Moines-Kansas City buses stopped at OSC, connections were more convenient. The lack of local business at small towns in general, mainly because almost everyone drives now, has shifted buses to express interstate routings between major cities.

It would probably be more economical, and definitely more convenient to rent a car, if possible, as opposed to using a taxi....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back