Amtrak train hits maintenance truck on tracks (1/24/20)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
I guess we'll find out what happened here in due time. Fortunately, the injuries are minor and the drivers fled.

https://www.wtnh.com/traffic/ct-rail-service-disruption-north-of-berlin/

NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP/WTNH) — An Amtrak train has collided with a maintenance truck working on the tracks in Newington.

More than 60 people were aboard the train headed to Springfield, Massachusetts from New Haven on Friday morning.

Amtrak officials say six riders reported minor injuries. Two workers were also in the truck but were able to get out before the train struck in Newington.

Wasn't PTC supposed to prevent such?

Yup!

PTC has been up and running on the line for about a year already, although CTRail doesn't use it yet in their trains, from what I recently read.

My guess is they asked for time on track 1 and were on track 2, or, they didn't follow one of the safety rules that I read somewhere...put a jumper across the rails to drop the signals. If it were MY life out there on the tracks, rules or no rules, I'd put a jumper across the rails. Doing that would have saved the two track workers on the NEC about 2 years ago.

Yup!

PTC has been up and running on the line for about a year already, although CTRail doesn't use it yet in their trains, from what I recently read.

My guess is they asked for time on track 1 and were on track 2, or, they didn't follow one of the safety rules that I read somewhere...put a jumper across the rails to drop the signals. If it were MY life out there on the tracks, rules or no rules, I'd put a jumper across the rails. Doing that would have saved the two track workers on the NEC about 2 years ago.

Does the truck not trip the signals?

Does the truck not trip the signals?
Often not. They are too light to make enough of a short between the rails.

The dispatch center is supposed to block out the section to which they grant access to MoW, which in effect marks the track as occupied, though on the CETC track model board it appears in Blue color instead of Red as I recall.

Often not. They are too light to make enough of a short between the rails.

The dispatch center is supposed to block out the section to which they grant access to MoW, which in effect marks the track as occupied, though on the CETC track model board it appears in Blue color instead of Red as I recall.

So what do the jumpers do that the truck doesn’t? Just curious how it works.

So what do the jumpers do that the truck doesn’t? Just curious how it works.
Jumpers are applied after cleaning the contact point to make sure that the jumper actually shorts the rails sufficiently and the fact that it has done so is verified using a measuring device. This ensures that even if the dispatcher forgets to block the section in the control system, the section appears as occupied.

Last edited:

Jumpers aren't used for on-track vehicles. They are used for foul time. What are you going to do? Put yourself on the rail at one location, put jumpers on the rail, operate multiple, multiple miles away from them, take your vehicle off the rails (or tie it down at another location) and leave them? How do you even jump the area ahead of you?

Yup!

CTrail uses PTC but has not been required to by the bulletin orders. But that either recently changed or is changing soon. They started operating with it at the same time Amtrak did. While they have not been required to by the host railroad, not doing so would not have been good optics for CTDOT given the media attention to PTC.

Whether Connecticut Southern and Pan Am Railways are using it I don’t know.

Last edited:
My main issue with PTC is that most people think that it’ll prevent everything from going wrong. That unfortunately is not the case.

That rightfully sounds more like a problem with the people rather than a problem with PTC, which BTW is just a set of requirements.

Good point. PTC is designed to prevent specific types of occurrences. Amtrak’s PTC is pretty lightweight compared to systems like I-ETMS and does basically three things: enforcing civil speeds, enforcing positive stop, and enforcing temporary speed restrictions. The other requirements of PTC systems (such as separation of trains going in the same direction and protecting mainline switches) are met by the existing signal system and ATC system. Only when both PTC and ATC are functional and cut in is there a “complete PTC system.”
Some of the statements made above suggest a certain lack of understanding of what PTC is.

PTC is a set of specifications spelled out in the relevant CFR clauses, to be met to be certified as PTC compliant. It is required by law that mainline tracks meeting certain threshold criteria and trains operating on them be PTC compliant by 31 Dec 2020.

PTC can be implemented using many technologies. I-ETMS is one of them. I-ETMS implementation comes in many profiles. Some are overlays on existing track circuit based signaling systems and others are pure GPS based systems.

Another implementation of PTC is in the form of the ACSES II overlay on the classic coded track circuit based cab signaling system with signal speed enforcement (CTCCS - Coded Track Circuit Cab Signal). ACSES also comes in multiple different implementations (NJT ASES, MNRR ACSES, LIRR ACSES) which may have different speed codes in the underlying CTCCS. This is the most common implementation used in the Northeast on predominantly passenger lines. The original PRR system was enhanced with additional aspects using a second carrier frequency to achieve additional signal speed aspects above 80mph.

It is inaccurate to say that I-ETMS is superior to ACSES+CTCCS system. Indeed in at least one way the latter is superior as it handles train integrity and location of the rear end of the train better than a pure GPS based I-ETMS system, which has relatively vague idea about where the tail of the train is. ACSES also handles precise track location and higher speed operations more reliably than I-ETMS, specially above the speed of 100mph. I-ETMS is better at handling trains with widely varying operating parameters as one is wont to find in the US freight railroads. ACSES is better at handling standard train consist with relatively narrow bands of braking characteristics as is found in most passenger systems.

Incidentally there are track segments that exist where both ACSES+CTCCS and I-ETMS are installed. They interface with each other in the back office to provide a consistent view to ACSES or I-ETMS equipped trains operating on that segment.

There are locomotives and cab cars that are equipped with both I-ETMS and ACSES (and possibly additional PTC implementations like ITCS (Amtrak Michigan Line), eATC (FECR/Brightline, Utah Front Runner) etc.) too so that they can operate on tracks equipped with different systems seamlessly.

The biggest challenge that is being faced by the railroads at present is completing cross testing of equipment on different host systems. Since that presents an n x m kind of complexity it is potentially quite time consuming to get all the cross operations certified even after all the tracks are duly equipped with the PTC implementation of the railroad's choice.

Last edited:
I'll be very interested to see the investigation report. I don't remember an incident so close to where I live, too bad. Glad everyone was okay!

Back