Amtrak train strikes man within view of restaurants

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the problem, is that we are ingrained with the societal "rule" that pedestrians always have the right-of-way. Another example, is people who will step out from the sidewalk mid-block ("jay-walk") directly into heavy traffic.

The "rule" gives people the feeling that cars, and yes trains too, must stop for them. If they don't, we'll sue!

I think part of the problem, is that we are ingrained with the societal "rule" that pedestrians always have the right-of-way. Another example, is people who will step out from the sidewalk mid-block ("jay-walk") directly into heavy traffic.

The "rule" gives people the feeling that cars, and yes trains too, must stop for them. If they don't, we'll sue!
That "unspoken rule" is state law here in Montana, as it could be impractical to get to the nearest crosswalk. This doesn't extend to railroad right of ways though.

We have gates and lights and bells to prevent this type of thing, but I've watched crazy people walk around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back