Amtrak trains vs pedestrians or motor vehicles; accidents/fatalities

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago, I knew a man who committed suicide by lying down on the train tracks in front of an oncoming Amtrak, would have been the Surfliner, I think. A terrible and angry way to commit suicide; he was only 29 years old, was having marital troubles, and left behind two very young sons. I wonder how many of the "pedestrians" who are killed by trains are intentional. And of course, likely a lot of them are under the influence of something or wearing earbuds with music loud. But it's hard to imagine not hearing or feeling a train bearing down on you, either way.
Suicide by train used to be fairly common in Japan, and may still be, but I heard from someone who should know that the rate dropped significantly after the Japanese Railway started billing the family for the cost of the cleanup.

In the SF Bay area, jumping in front of the San Jose - SF commuter trains happens, but the area media has agreed to minimize reporting of such to avoid encouraging copycats.

There was a book written quite a few years ago by the Florida state Forensic Anthropologist titled Dead Men Do Tell Tales that had several comments on the subject of suicides. Interesting book. (Forensic Anthropology means dealing with human remains and related issues long after the initial event so that it is more like an anthropological analysis instead of a crime scene analysis.) Florida has a considerably higher than most of the country rate of suicides, many of them elderly retirees from other parts of the country that decide to end it. He discussed the issues at some length. He also commented that he considered suicide to be among the most selfish of acts because of its effect on all around them, with things such as jumping in front of trains being among them.

Just saw this on Twitter:

Hopefully the pedestrian was not killed in the incident.

That was a fatal incident, and more or less known immediately. There's a Broadcastify scanner feed very close to the site that captured all the audio traffic over the main railroad channel. Because the person was struck by the side of the train, the local fire department had to get set up and provide the train a hose down before it could continue eastbound.

We often criticize the stupidity of drivers who try to beat the train at rail crossings, but this one takes the cake. Thank God the victim wasn't killed, but it looks like she will be mending for a long time to come.

I understand why cops have to pull up behind (rather than in front) of someone they pull over, but why didn't they use their loudspeaker to have her move far enough forward so the cop car could clear the tracks?

The story hasn't ended on this one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tracks-detained-suspect-hit-train/8094333001/

I’m on No. 647 and we’re stopped east of Coatesville. Conductor states we have do a “train transfer.” What is this?

This is what Amtrak states:

Attachments

• BB15EEAF-607A-4860-97B9-867F284F4571.png
    BB15EEAF-607A-4860-97B9-867F284F4571.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well, it looks like your train hit somebody. As to the train transfer, you'll be taken off 647 and put onto another train. It could be detrain to the ground and walk to the other train, or it could be a "board" that reaches between doors that you walk across. Depends on where you're stopped.

We’re stopped in Coatesville—actually on the Coatesville/Thorndale border. The other track is about 20 feet from ours…

Attachments

• 2096ED69-9069-40C0-AE64-CD6126491848.png
    2096ED69-9069-40C0-AE64-CD6126491848.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 69115659-3E67-4790-BE8A-FF18021124CE.jpeg
    69115659-3E67-4790-BE8A-FF18021124CE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
We’re stopped in Coatesville—actually on the Coatesville/Thorndale border. The other track is about 20 feet from ours…
In that case you'll get off your train onto the ground and walk to the train they pull up next to you on that track.

They are indeed doing a transfer. A train from Harrisburg will pass us first, then Train 649 will come next to us and we will transfer to it. 647 is actually pretty full here, so I’m not sure if they’ll offload volunteers at Downingtown or Exton.

649 just pulled up and it is pretty full too. What do they do if they can’t fit everyone on?

I’ve never been through this in all the times I’ve taken the train…

Last edited:
They are indeed doing a transfer. A train from Harrisburg will pass us first, then Train 649 will come next to us and we will transfer to it. 647 is actually pretty full here, so I’m not sure if they’ll offload volunteers at Downingtown or Exton.

I’ve never been through this in all the times I’ve taken the train…

You will be fine. I had to do it once from my light rail, and if I could do it from that, you’ll be able to do it easily with probably a much more organized process than we were given.😊

The transfer went smoothly. The conductors of both trains helped both myself and my mother (we both have physical disabilities) step down from the train and assisted us with our luggage. Train 649 was somewhat full but there were enough seats for everyone. We sat in the last car, where a couple Amtrak employees were very nice and allowed my mom and myself to sit together. A lot of people were complaining, but I handled it well; these things happen. I’ll bet the engineer was really shook up and you have to understand that the 647 became a crime scene. Amtrak handled the situation well IMHO.

The transfer went smoothly. The conductors of both trains helped both myself and my mother (we both have physical disabilities) step down from the train and assisted us with our luggage. Train 649 was somewhat full but there were enough seats for everyone. We sat in the last car, where a couple Amtrak employees were very nice and allowed my mom and myself to sit together. A lot of people were complaining, but I handled it well; these things happen. I’ll bet the engineer was really shook up and you have to understand that the 647 became a crime scene. Amtrak handled the situation well IMHO.

I’m so glad—I thought they would have an organized process for you, and I’m happy that they took such good care of you and your mother.

Now I can tell you my light rail adventure (didn’t want to scare you earlier before the transfer😊).

When our light rail broke down, they put us on another one going in the same direction. Same process as yours, except:

No help. Just an encouraging word from one of the workers on the tracks saying “You can do it” after I said I couldn’t jump down (I’m 5’ with short legs and it was a long way down).

So I knew I was on my own and had to use my (limited) problem-solving skills. I ended up sitting down on the bottom step, then sliding as far down l as I could before jumping. Then after walking across to the other train, reversed it—stretched as far as I could til I was able to sit on the bottom step and pull myself up backwards.

And I was wearing my favorite pair of nice slacks—no hope for them—had to throw them out.

I’m so glad—I thought they would have an organized process for you, and I’m happy that they took such good care of you and your mother.

Now I can tell you my light rail adventure (didn’t want to scare you earlier before the transfer😊).

When our light rail broke down, they put us on another one going in the same direction. Same process as yours, except:

No help. Just an encouraging word from one of the workers on the tracks saying “You can do it” after I said I couldn’t jump down (I’m 5’ with short legs and it was a long way down).

So I knew I was on my own and had to use my (limited) problem-solving skills. I ended up sitting down on the bottom step, then sliding as far down l as I could before jumping. Then after walking across to the other train, reversed it—stretched as far as I could til I was able to sit on the bottom step and pull myself up backwards.

And I was wearing my favorite pair of nice slacks—no hope for them—had to throw them out.
I'm surprised your light rail system was so lackidaisical about this transfer. If anyone was injured getting on or off the organization would be liable.

I got an email from Amtrak:

“Please accept our most sincere apologies that your trip was severely delayed. Despite our best efforts, there are times when circumstances arise that are out of our control.

We are issuing a travel credit that you can use towards a future trip. This will be sent to the email address provided at the time you made your reservation.

We regret any inconvenience you experienced and we look forward to serving your travel needs in the future.”

They also left an automated message on my phone stating this. How will they issue this refund? Will it cover the fare for both my parents and myself?

I wasn’t expecting a refund or anything; Amtrak did its part. They did get us from Point A to Point B, and we weren’t in any hurry. These things happen; it wasn’t their fault..

I got an email from Amtrak:

“Please accept our most sincere apologies that your trip was severely delayed. Despite our best efforts, there are times when circumstances arise that are out of our control.

We are issuing a travel credit that you can use towards a future trip. This will be sent to the email address provided at the time you made your reservation.

We regret any inconvenience you experienced and we look forward to serving your travel needs in the future.”

They also left an automated message on my phone stating this. How will they issue this refund? Will it cover the fare for both my parents and myself?

I wasn’t expecting a refund or anything; Amtrak did its part. They did get us from Point A to Point B, and we weren’t in any hurry. These things happen; it wasn’t their fault..
"Travel credit" sounds like an eVoucher.

I paid $188 for my parents and myself. Would that be the amount they give me?
Not sure, all I know is "Travel Credit" isn't usually a term used for a refund, but a voucher good only on Amtrak, usually for a year. If you have an AGR account that was associated with you and your parents' travel, and you were the "primary" passenger, it may already be in your account.

Not sure, all I know is "Travel Credit" isn't usually a term used for a refund, but a voucher good only on Amtrak, usually for a year. If you have an AGR account that was associated with you and your parents' travel, and you were the "primary" passenger, it may already be in your account.
I think of late some airlines are using the phrase “Future Travel Credit. I got several hundred dollars recently when I was downgraded on a very short leg instead of waiting an additional day on a mechanical related rerouting.

Does Amtrak besides the service and notices link have anything about crashes?
Someone on Craigslist wrote that he couldn't get to San Diego from Ventura Cty. because rides are interminably late because the train hit someone but couldn't find anything about it on the internet or on Amtraks site. Maybe I'll try the local news.

Does Amtrak besides the service and notices link have anything about crashes?
Someone on Craigslist wrote that he couldn't get to San Diego from Ventura Cty. because rides are interminably late because the train hit someone but couldn't find anything about it on the internet or on Amtraks site. Maybe I'll try the local news.

They had a "trespasser incident" which stopped 4 trains for 4.5 hours. ~8:45-1:15

Back