Quantcast

Amtrak Twitter rant

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

AKA

OBS Chief
Well, it could be worse.
Imagine, if you would, all of the folks out there who do not know the difference between Disneyland and (Walt) Disney World...….
They're (Their, There) practically on opposite sides of the How about . They are !

trainman74

Conductor
I actually couldn’t tell you which is which regarding the Disneys, so count me as one of those folks. All I know is one is near Orlando and the other is near Anaheim.
Fun fact: they're both in Orange County.

(The one in Florida is much larger -- large enough, you might say, to be an entire world, not just a land.)

tim49424

Conductor
Fun fact: they're both in Orange County.

(The one in Florida is much larger -- large enough, you might say, to be an entire world, not just a land.)
I guess I don't know the difference because I don't really intend on visiting either.....although I did ride the Pacific Surfliner round trip from LA to SD, past that stop that serves Disney and the "Big A".

cocojacoby

Lead Service Attendant
I guess I don't know the difference because I don't really intend on visiting either.....although I did ride the Pacific Surfliner round trip from LA to SD, past that stop that serves Disney and the "Big A".
But they are both in the same Orange County!

Acela150

Conductor
what do you want deleted?
OH the routes I could go! LOL!!!!!

My issues with Amtrak's twitter updates is the lack of speed. I was at Paoli on Tuesday and the Pennsylvanian was held there for some switch issues further down the line. It sat there for a good 30 minutes before my friend and I took off and Amtrak did not have a tweet about the reason for the delay until it had sat there for an hour.

Today Train 43 sat in Altoona for almost 2 hours. It took Amtrak a good hour or more to tweet about it.

The tweets AFAIK come from Amtrak's Social Media team at the Call Center in Philly. They have ARROW right in front of them. Updates about train delays are usually updated from the Conductors Scanner (emd) or from the dispatchers directly on the NEC. BUT, take that with a grain of salt.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
How do you all think languages evolve and spellings evolve and change?

It is only due to social media and the internet that we are seeing the evolutionary speed increase.

PVD

Conductor
I fat fingered "disappearance" and the time to edit clock ran out before I noticed.....surprised no one else poked me on that.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I actually couldn’t tell you which is which regarding the Disneys, so count me as one of those folks. All I know is one is near Orlando and the other is near Anaheim.
And then there is Disneyland Paris (formerly Euro Disney) in Marne-la-Vallee France and Tokyo Disneyland in Maihama Japan, both in different continents :D There are also Hong Kong and China now too, the last two I have not been to yet.

Manny T

OBS Chief
This line from Wiki's article on B&O's Capitol Limited in the 1920-30's might provide a clue to the name:

"The Capitol Limited derived much of its passenger traffic from businessmen and government officials traveling between Washington and the midwest."

In other words, these were folks traveling to and from "the Capitol" on business.

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief
Disney World (Orlando) is much more encompassing than the first attempt, Disneyland. It encompassed all of Walt Disney's musings (things like EPCOT and the anamatronic stuff he liked doing), which he could then afford to do, unlike with the limited budget of Disneyland. Also, it (DW) has all the hotels, etc. so that families, etc. don't have to leave the grounds. Probably a good thing they don't have to, considering the freakin' traffic around the Exit 60's series of I-4. :eek: But whole comunity economy is built around Disneyworld. Ever wonder why the Autotrain stops in Sanford and not further south towards Miami??? Guess what's 20-40 minutes to the south west of it..... :D Families visiting "The Rodent" are the 2nd largest constituency of the AutoTrain... the first being the "Snowbirds" during the winter.

Bex

Service Attendant
My issues with Amtrak's twitter updates is the lack of speed. I was at Paoli on Tuesday and the Pennsylvanian was held there for some switch issues further down the line. It sat there for a good 30 minutes before my friend and I took off and Amtrak did not have a tweet about the reason for the delay until it had sat there for an hour.

Today Train 43 sat in Altoona for almost 2 hours. It took Amtrak a good hour or more to tweet about it.

The tweets AFAIK come from Amtrak's Social Media team at the Call Center in Philly. They have ARROW right in front of them. Updates about train delays are usually updated from the Conductors Scanner (emd) or from the dispatchers directly on the NEC. BUT, take that with a grain of salt.
I find that the commuter railroads give out the info far faster than Amtrak does, even when the fault or problem is with Amtrak. Depending on where I am I check NJT, SEPTA, or MARC to find out the reason for my delay. Also, sometimes when you directly tweet at the Amtrak account they will give you at least some kind of answer, even before they have sent out their general tweet about it. I agree, this is the wrong way for them to handle it, but it can be a solution if you have a Twitter account.

Willbridge

OBS Chief
As has been alluded to, the "Capitol Limited" name goes back to the B&O Railroad.

Here's a logo that the B&O used:

I submit that the train is named after the main feature of that logo.
I pulled out the June 1941 Guide and it was "Capitol Limited". In the June 1916 issue they weren't using that name yet, but the logo showed the Capitol building.

Rover

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
I think that all the Candidates should be required to state their preference on how they would prefer the name of the Amtrak train that operates out of DC to be spelled.

PaTrainFan

Service Attendant
Related to Amtrak Alerts but not a spelling issue...what is an "unforeseen crew change?" When the train is running very late and rules force a crew change?

Bob Dylan

Conductor
That basically is Correct, but there are other reasons also, such as Accidents,Illness, No Show Crew Members etc.