Amtrak unit on freight train at Flagstaff

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
AU Supporter
Hope Amtrak send them the bill for the damage to that units frame. Those Amtrak units are not designed to pull that much weight and frame will be twisted from the forces applied.

FrensicPic

Engineer
It was set out from the SWC more than a week ago at Hibbard, AZ.
DIC (dead in consist) back to L.A.

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Hope Amtrak send them the bill for the damage to that units frame. Those Amtrak units are not designed to pull that much weight and frame will be twisted from the forces applied.
I have seen Amtrak dead in tow engines in that position in freight trains before, and all of them seemed to have survived the ordeal so far.

Last edited:

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
AU Supporter
I do recall when Amtrak was pulling all those express cars that they were having problems with the frames. So maybe a short time will not cause any issues.

FrensicPic

Engineer
Heard from an Amtrak friend...he saw 117 at BNSF Hobart Yard in Los Angeles today.

Reactions: Cal

Cal

Foamer
How do they move it from there to the LA yards? Just move it alone?

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I do recall when Amtrak was pulling all those express cars that they were having problems with the frames. So maybe a short time will not cause any issues.
The static and dynamic forces in a locomotive frame that is dead in tow I would expect is very very different from one that is powering a train.

FrensicPic

Engineer
How do they move it from there to the LA yards? Just move it alone?
Either BNSF will "deliver" it to the Amtrak shops in LA or, Amtrak will send a switcher down to Hobart to pick it up. I'm guessing the latter. I'll ask.

Reactions: Cal

Lead Service Attendant
AU Lifetime Supporter
The static and dynamic forces in a locomotive frame that is dead in tow I would expect is very very different from one that is powering a train.
Something on the order of towing deadheading steam locos -?- just a whole lot of dead weight in transit.