Amtrak vouchers, upgrades on eBay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
A co-worker told me he used eBay to buy an Amtrak travel voucher for less than half its redemption value. He said the seller provided their phone number to allow him to redeem the voucher and there was no problem with Amtrak. I'd never heard of this secondary market, but there are numerous vouchers and upgrades for sale on eBay. Some sellers apparently message you the voucher number; others buy the ticket for you. Is transferring a voucher this way allowed?

Per Amtrak... https://www.amtrak.com/evouchers-your-travel-credits-stored-electronically

Who May Use the Funds in an eVoucher?The funds in an eVoucher will be held in the name of the Primary Passenger of the original reservation (the first passenger listed in a reservation). An eVoucher can only be redeemed by the person whose name appears on it; however, that person can choose to apply it to someone else’s travel.

Even if it was allowed, how do you know that the seller did not sell that e-voucher (the code) to 75 other buyers. You may not know it until you go to use it and are told it has already been used! There is nothing physical to transfer like a lamp or clothes.

Nearly of those sellers have a zero rating, and joined recently.

That tells me that they are either a scam, or trying the launder some money. Even if its the latter, I'd be worred that the seller gets busted after I paid, but before I booked. Because it seems they try to sell some, close the ebay account, then open another.

Too much risk

I don't believe it's specifically against the terms and conditions to resell a voucher, but as others mentioned is it really something that can be trusted to be legitimate?

As for upgrades and other coupons, the terms usually say that they can't be sold, but does say they can be given away.

OK, who'll be the first to buy one and report back with the results? Anybody?? Yoo-hoo!!!!
default_tongue.png

They’re also selling lounge passes on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum
Which is a violation of AGR's Terms and Conditions. And if the seller is found their account is subject to permanent closure.
When did the day-pass become a single-visit pass?

One large benefit of the day pass was the ability to leave my bags, etc, at the lounge for the day while I visit the sites. Stop in and out for bathroom and refreshment breaks, I have to admit, its hardly worth it if its only a single-visit pass.

Which is a violation of AGR's Terms and Conditions. And if the seller is found their account is subject to permanent closure.
As stated on the back of the passes...I have two that I earned for hitting Select status for 2018. The sellers only post pics of the front of the passes to scam the buyers.

The day pass is a single visit pass good for that day only. Just like having a sleeper is a day pass good for that day only. It does not mean that you can only walk thru the door once. If you come in on the CL in the morning but do not leave until the afternoon, do you stay in the ML all day or do you drop off your bags and go out? If it is different, that employee is wrong"

The day pass is a single visit pass good for that day only. Just like having a sleeper is a day pass good for that day only. It does not mean that you can only walk thru the door once. If you come in on the CL in the morning but do not leave until the afternoon, do you stay in the ML all day or do you drop off your bags and go out? If it is different, that employee is wrong"
When entering the ML, the desk clerk marks your paper ticket and throughout the day you have to present the marked ticket to re-enter. I’m sure the same is true if you have a pass and use it with your coach fare.

I'm a bit confused because they seem to have modified the description. Of course they used to be called "ClubAcela Passes" and of course were day passes. And back then they would be printed and then scanned where they were made available immediately. I think it was possible to save them as a printable file and transfer them electronically as a gift.

Now the redemption passes are called "Single-Visit Station Lounge Passes" and need to be mailed to the recipient. There isn't too much of a description of whether or not this means a single day or a single entry. I can't imagine they'd really have no in/out privileges, but I can't really tell from the description.

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/redeem/travelCoupons/2002

The day pass is a single visit pass good for that day only. Just like having a sleeper is a day pass good for that day only.
I agree with you, almost. If I have a ticket from NYP to WAS to CHI, with sleeper from WAS to CHI, I can use the lounge in NYP and WAS. Not so with the pass. It would be good in NYP or WAS but not both.

One other nuance that I don't recall anyone mentioning in this thread is that the pass is good for the holder and one companion or the holder and a spouse and a finite number of children (that I don't recall).

It is the same with airline club day passes.

If you are flying coach from LAX to JFK to LHR and you have a day pass to the airline club, you can use the club atLAX or JFK or LHR - but NOT all 3 with that one pass (on most airlines).

As stated on the back of the passes...I have two that I earned for hitting Select status for 2018. The sellers only post pics of the front of the passes to scam the buyers.
There's nothing identifiable about the Select passes though. I still have mine that expired in 2017, and there's nothing on them that identifies the account holder. They're basically only relying on them being originals, and not using something like a unique code such as with printable coupons.

It would be pretty difficult to do anything about it.

Back