Amtrak's $19 Northeast Fare Announced

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy for the northeast. I'd be happier if Amtrak would encourage rail travel in the SE, SW, NW, etc.

Plan your next getaway with discounted fares to/from Boston to DC and everywhere in between.

Don’t miss our Northeast Getaway Sale! Now is the time to book, with $19 Coach fares and $49 Acela Business class fares for travel from February 1–May 26, 2022.
Whether it’s a trip with friends or a family reunion, there are plenty of occasions to reconnect with the people you’ve been missing. Enjoy a relaxing ride to New York City, DC, Philadelphia or Boston in Coach class with fares starting at just $19 one-way. Or, cruise through the Northeast in style with Acela Business class fares starting at $49 one-way.
Don't forget, two bags, two carry-ons, plenty of legroom and WiFi are included in the cost of your ticket. Plans can change, so Amtrak is waiving change fees through April 30, 2022.
  • For sale January 26–29, 2022.
  • For travel February 1–May 26, 2022.
    Discounted fare not available for Sunday travel.

They did that last year. Acela fares were $29. That $19 fare is from DC to Boston. Same price no matter what city pairs you book. it cost more to get from Elizabethtown to Philly than Philly to Boston.

They do things like this to skew the numbers and they can say "NEC ridership is up". If they offered those types of deals in LD country, they would have to admit that ridership was up there, too.
Only if the deign to run enough seat inventory though, unless they want to sell low fare space on the roof or something :D

Truth be told, LD Coach fares are not really all that bad when compared to NEC Coach fares. It is Sleepers that get thoroughly crucified, but so do Acela First Class on NEC.

LD Coach fares are fine. Then again if you are traveling from NY to LA you are sitting in a Coach seat for three overnights. Negates the value.,especially if you are a solo traveler and are saddled with a seatmate.

That $19 fare is from DC to Boston. Same price no matter what city pairs you book.
I hope that doesn't mean that the Baltimore to Washington fares are $19. They were $15 without the sale last time I looked. :)

This is going to make it hard for me to rack up AGR TQP on my various day trips to Philly or New York. I guess I'll have to spring for an Acela First Class on a couple of the trips. Come to think of it, I already have a reservation for an Acela trip in early March up to Boston for my annual Maine ski (well, snowshoe) trip. I wonder if I can rebook and get a refund. (On the other hand this might be one of those discounted fares for which you can't use the upgrade coupons, which is what I'm planning to do.)

I hope that doesn't mean that the Baltimore to Washington fares are $19. They were $15 without the sale last time I looked. :)

This is going to make it hard for me to rack up AGR TQP on my various day trips to Philly or New York. I guess I'll have to spring for an Acela First Class on a couple of the trips. Come to think of it, I already have a reservation for an Acela trip in early March up to Boston for my annual Maine ski (well, snowshoe) trip. I wonder if I can rebook and get a refund. (On the other hand this might be one of those discounted fares for which you can't use the upgrade coupons, which is what I'm planning to do.)
I think Bal-DC is cheaper. I tried using points but it doesn't reflect the discount. I booked a couple of trips for March and May. $38 round trip from BWI to Providence is pretty good.

LD Coach fares are fine. Then again if you are traveling from NY to LA you are sitting in a Coach seat for three overnights. Negates the value.,especially if you are a solo traveler and are saddled with a seatmate.

My favorite is Cleveland to Pittsfield, Massahusetts, for $39. That's an insane deal to go 516 miles. Although I could be the only guy in the world who ranks Pittsfield as their favorite vacation spot!

They allowed Me to upgrade from Acela BC to FC between NYP and BWI (using an AGR Coupon) after I'd booked one of those Special Fares last year!

Of course it's Amtrak, so YMMV!

Back