Amtrak's Board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

frank

As we all know, one of our president's greatest talents is offering up the spoils of battle to his best friends and contributors, regardless of their talents. We all remember Mike Brown, the former so called FEMA director. Who can forget the line, “Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!” Except for possibly millions of people from South Louisiana and Mississippi.

"Yes, that's right... the man responsible for directing federal relief operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, sharpened his emergency management skills as the "Judges and Stewards Commissioner" for the International Arabian Horses Association... a position from which he was forced to resign in the face of mounting litigation and financial disarray.” (dailykos.com)

And what about Bush's latest flame, Harriet Miers? I don't even want to go there. Who am I to judge? Hey wait a minute. Who is she to judge?

So you're asking, what does all of this have to do with Amtrak? Well, I'll tell you. You would think that people to be considered as possible appointees to positions as important as board members or directors of Amtrak would be folks with tons of railroad or transportation experience. Makes a little sense, doesn't it? Please remember, these people are nominated by the president, and then must be approved by Congress. Unless, of course, they're pushed through during a recess. Let's look into Amtrak board members backgrounds.....hmmm, let's start with Floyd Hall, former CEO of K-Mart from 1995 until his retirement in 2000, and see what kind of extensive background in rail or transportation he brings to the plate.

Floyd Hall

Kmart board deserves 'F' for oversight

The history of Kmart's board -- under former Chairman Joseph Antonini, under his successor Floyd Hall and certainly under Conaway -- is marked by benign neglect and an inability to exercise the power vested in it.

The debacle of the Conaway era is only the most spectacular chapter in a long, depressing saga of missed opportunities, strategic missteps and simple hubris. Most galling is that thousands of ordinary employees and trusting shareholders are paying the highest price for those gaffes while executives such as Adamson, Hall and others walk away with millions.

Where is the accountability?

So far, there isn't much. Sure, there's the embarrassment of appearing to be willing dupes -- or, at least, easily deceived and misled. And there's the likelihood that Kmart creditors will sue its current directors once they are replaced by an all-new board, as typically happens in bankruptcy restructuring.

But the legacy of passivity in Kmart's boardroom, evident at least since about 1990, suggests that the company's directors owe employees, investors and the public a more extensive explanation of why they did what they did -- or didn't do. Detroit News, 02/09/03.

And a headline from the same publication dated 06/01/00, just before Kmart's bankruptcy:

Chairman Floyd Hall, 61, retired Wednesday with 7,260,362 shares of Kmart stock worth about $61.7 million.

Well, I don't know about you, but anyone who can run a retail chain into the ground and still make that kind of money seems shrewd enough to run a railroad, right? Anyone familiar with the roots of American rails will understand that graft and deceit were the mainstays of normal commerce in that era. Does Credit Mobilier ring a bell?

Enrique Sosa

Nominee Needs Training

(Washington Post 6/7/04)

Democrats have this quaint notion that presidents should nominate experienced people to sit on boards and commissions overseeing various matters. Despite ample and bipartisan precedent to the contrary, they believe this practice should continue even in June of an election year.

So there was Sen. Frank J. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) at a Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee hearing Wednesday, talking to retired oil industry executive Enrique Sosa from Florida, nominated to the Amtrak board of directors.

Lautenberg badgered Sosa, a major GOP contributor who has given a bit to Democrats, about some labor matters. Then he noted that Sosa, breaking custom for nominees, had not submitted an opening statement. And on documents he did submit, Sosa said he had no experience on land transportation matters.

Have you ever ridden on Amtrak or in the Northeast corridor? Lautenberg asked. Well, no, Sosa replied. But he pledged to do so if confirmed.

David M. Laney

David Laney specializes in corporate and banking law at Jenkins & Gilchrist. Then-Governor George W. Bush appointed him as a Texas Department of Transportation Commissioner in 1995. As a Bush transportation point man, Laney lashed out in 2000 against federal rules that slash federal highway funds to cities that flunk federal air standards and fail to produce credible compliance plans. Laney said such “draconian” measures could create more traffic jams that would pollute the air even more. As president, Bush appointed Laney to the Amtrak board. Jenkins & Gilchrist was the second-largest source of bundled contributions to Bush’s 2000 campaign ($92,400), the Center for Responsive Politics reported in 1999, supplanted only by Vinson & Elkins (see Thomas Marinis). A federal judge ordered Jenkins & Gilchrist in June 2003 to disclose the names of 600 wealthy clients to the Internal Revenue Service. The firm billed at least $72 million to advise these clients on setting up tax shelters that fabricated $2.4 billion worth of tax deductions, according to the IRS. The firm is fighting disclosure, saying that it did not sell bogus tax shelters but merely advised clients on how to do so—a service that it claims is protected by attorney-client privilege. The firm paid $75 million in 2004 to settle a lawsuit filed by clients who alleged that Jenkins & Gilchrist devised the tax shelters, Deutsche Bank (see Jeffrey Amling) executed them and Ernst & Young (see Leslie Brorsen) marketed them to wealthy clients. (Whitehouseforsale.org)

Norman Mineta

Under his "Reform" plan, Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta proposes a zero budget for Amtrak for FY 2006. This will force Amtrak into bankruptcy, and make it discontinue (in Mineta's view) "running trains nobody rides between cities nobody wants to travel between". Mineta claims a better Amtrak will emerge, focused entirely on short-distance corridors. But this plan actually assures there will be

no interstate train service in the United States! (Railtravelnews.com)

Norman Mineta wrote, upon seeing Japan's modern rail system, “But it has not come cheap and Japan's ultra-modern railways have landed it with a historic debt of 28,000bn yen (£153bn). That is roughly equivalent to 200,000 yen (£1,089) for every Japanese man, woman and child.

It is a sum which dwarfs the $4bn (£2.6bn) which hangs around the neck of the beleaguered Amtrak, the giant US rail company which was set up as a non-profit corporation in 1971.

I looked into Amtrak's boardroom, and I was embarrassed. They are all undressed and elderly and it shows. They're all naked and wrinkled, and it's not a pretty sight.

Frank

ps. We've all heard the terrible warnings about the risk of an influenza pandemic from an avian flu virus. But the Bush administration official in charge of making sure America is ready has no experience related to his job, he's a political appointee. Stewart Simonson is the Bush administration's point man for a flu pandemic, but he has no public health management experience. He got his job because he is a close associate of former Health & Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson.

Heaven help us.

Frank

Politics aside, the Amtrak board of directors is the board of directors.

Vent as much as you like here, but it will not change reality in and of itself.

This administration is no different than any other in handling Amtrak's board, or any other appointed positions. They all follow the spoils system wherever possible.

Sam,

I'm not sure what to make of your thought, "Politics aside, the Amtrak board of directors is the board of directors."

That's kinda' like saying "Oh well, not much we can do about that." Oh but there is. We need to let our rep's know that we will not tolerate detrimental cronyism, especially when it's in your face blatant, or even more so when it affects public health, as is the case with HHS, or FEMA. And a public or political outcry did change the situation at FEMA. Brownie bit the big one.

Your statement, "Vent as much as you like here, but it will not change reality in and of itself." I honestly didn't know I was venting. If expressing personal views or opinions is venting, I'm guilty. It's been my opinion for a decade or so on the internet that public forums were great for expressing or sharing views or opinions. And I happen to believe that it's easy to change reality.

Frank

ps. I'm not a democrat or a republican, a conservative or a liberal. I just have a natural aversion to political clout being used to scratch backs, pad pockets, or ignore the public's best interest.

Frank, from what I read of Mr. Damon's other postings, my thoughts are he seems to be in agreement in some way shape or form with what you're saying initially in your first post. I personally believe he was just stating the fact of the matter regarding the Amtrak board of directors. In a sense he is on target. A board of directors of any corporation can IN FACT make decisions regarding their business. Most of the time these members are the primary stockholders and control most of the voting power of their shares. There are many times this is not the case, but mostly that is the norm. Where Amtrak is concerned there is no stock traded (nor will there ever in my opinion) to be concerned with as it is a government created corporation. The board makes all corporate decisions, and unfortunately its members are filling appointed postions! I somewhat disagree with the term "politics aside" when it comes to talking about Amtrak in the big picture. There really is no such thing as that in my opinion being Amtrak is a very politically motivated company! After all it was created by the government for a specific purpose. And remember all goverment programs have some sort of timeline involved! Just like life itself, that time is to be determined because no one human being can truly tell the future. But anyway, what I believe he (Damon) means is "not talking about any type of politics (government or company)" the board of directors will act however they are gonna do so! That is definitely a fact!

As far as a public outcry regarding Amtrak, I just don't see enough of it! And I really hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the damage IS DONE! The decisions have been made in the last couple of years of what is gonna take place at Amtrak. It will not be the Amtrak as we know it today! I personally don't believe it is going away. But the company is facing massive reform, and it is in the process of happening now! Some changes are not going to be so great at all, however, they may in the best interest of passeneger rail in the long run. I hope I will be included in Amtrak's future plans providing it stays put. It won't be the same, though. Times are changing and so is Amtrak. And personally, it is too late in my opinion to put the political pressure on our leaders when it comes to this issue regarding this facet of passenger rail. When the vast majority of the constituents have other issues more important to them than Amtrak! Our leaders know this in my opinion! Amtrak is very important to me! But through my past experiences, I see the writing on the wall. I hope I am dead wrong, and all this is a bunch of hooplah similar to how it is every year. But I don't believe that is the case here as we traverse into the 21st century. It's just different this time around! I know the mindset of this company's management as well as where we are in terms of the political standpoint!

Folks, it is time to come to terms with the actual reality here! We are not gonna reconize Amtrak in the next couple of years! It is changing big time! I believe the big issue since the news regarding the NEC deal is our national system mainly long distance services! I have said it in other posts, employees (all of them - managment and agreement) should have their homes and financial situations in order to play it safe! I have already done so! Railfans/passengers SHOULD at least take one nice trip as soon as they are able to do so in order to have the peace of mind if their favorite train disappears, they can at least say they did it and were a part of history! My friend Mr. Henderson posted in a previous thread, " Remember that day of May 1st, 1971 a lot of folks awoke to find out their train was not running, and it was too late to save it!" But once again as usual, just like life itself, the issue regarding Amtrak is on a one day at a time basis! In other words, we'll SEE WHAT HAPPENS! This is my last post on this issue! I felt this particular thread was the best place for this! Thats all. OBS........

Guest said:
Sam,
I'm not sure what to make of your thought, "Politics aside, the Amtrak board of directors is the board of directors."

That's kinda' like saying "Oh well, not much we can do about that."  Oh but there is.  We need to let our rep's know that we will not tolerate detrimental cronyism, especially when it's in your face blatant, or even more so when it affects public health, as is the case with HHS, or FEMA.  And a public or political outcry did change the situation at FEMA.  Brownie bit the big one.

Your statement, "Vent as much as you like here, but it will not change reality in and of itself."  I honestly didn't know I was venting.  If expressing personal views or opinions is venting, I'm guilty.  It's been my opinion for a decade or so on the internet that public forums were great for expressing or sharing views or opinions.  And I happen to believe that it's easy to change reality.

Frank

ps.  I'm not a democrat or a republican, a conservative or a liberal.  I just have a natural aversion to political clout being used to scratch backs, pad pockets, or ignore the public's best interest.
The last line is quite difficult to believe, if for no other reason other than the fract that the post went on and on about the current administration's cronyism and how outrageous it is, without making any reference whatsoever to the previous administration's identical record in this regard, or indeed, any former administration. Nearly all of them have similar records, and to speak at great length about one administration without recognizing the identical practices of others, seems disingenuous at best.

It is wonderful to point out the recent FEMA debacle, but that was a rare exception in terms of public pressure, because it was centered around a highly public event, Hurricane Katrina. The day to day operations of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation are quite a bit more mundane and unlikely to arouse the same passions, hence the blase response from others here.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
But anyway, what I believe he (Damon) means is "not talking about any type of politics (government or company)" the board of directors will act however they are gonna do so! That is definitely a fact!
That's what I was getting at.

I think if you shuffled the board of directors in such a manner as to reflect the nation in terms of political perspective, there would not be a great deal of difference in what is happening to Amtrak now. Perhaps if the Amtrak board of directors consisted of people who post here, things would be different, but that's not gonna happen! :) Intercity passenger rail service in the US truly has been trivialized, outside the NEC, Left Coast, and Chicago. Even the Empire Builder is viewed, outside of our little circle here, as just a "cruise ship on rails." I'm not saying I view it that way, or the folks of Montana view it that way; just that Mr. Average American views it that way.

As far as a public outcry regarding Amtrak, I just don't see enough of it! And I really hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the damage IS DONE! The decisions have been made in the last couple of years of what is gonna take place at Amtrak. It will not be the Amtrak as we know it today! I personally don't believe it is going away. But the company is facing massive reform, and it is in the process of happening now!
Bingo!

I'm in total agreement with you. I have to admit that I did not support passenger rail to a greater degree personally in the past decade. OTOH, I was probably like most Americans -- just trying to get by at work, pay the mortgage, raise the kids. It wasn't until the administration got serious about zeroing out Amtrak that I started looking for boards like this, trying to find out information, basing decisions on fact. Frankly, I'm appalled at how transportation policy in the USA has been goofed up by both sides of the political spectrum, now that I've taken the time to read about it. Amtrak is but the latest example, but there are others.

As the communists used to say, if you have a knife, you can get a gun, and if you like intercity passenger trains in the USA, you better be figuring out how to get a knife. If you like intercity passenger trains, start screaming about: multiple billions for highways; why interstate highways aren't privatized; why airlines aren't assessed more for ATC; multiple billions for bankrupt airlines; federal bail-outs of airline pension funds. Scream loudly to anyone who will listen to you, especially politicians and other policy wonks. There's still time, if the railroad enthusiast community can agree to do this. Otherwise, May 1, 1971 will happen all over again. Enough ranting; on with the rest of this post.

However irrational it might be to cut intercity rail at a time when gasoline prices are headed upwards, airlines are being bailed out of bankruptcy, and Congress decides to spend $300 million on a bridge to an Alaskan island, the support for passenger rail in the heartland just isn't visible at present. I've spent the past few months quietly asking friends and contacts about passenger trains. A surprising number of people, to my amazement, understand the arguments in favor of Amtrak. It is also clear they do not understand the funding process, and the prospect of losing Amtrak annoys them, even if they don't use Amtrak.

Trouble is, they're not going to use Amtrak anytime soon because there isn't enough of a network left to make travelling tolerable for them, and those same people aren't about to write letters to congresscritters asking them to keep Amtrak afloat, even though they like the prospect of jumping aboard an Amtrak train when they feel like it.

Personally speaking, I think the administration is dead wrong to kill Amtrak. As a political reality, however, we may not recognize the Amtrak of three years from now. OBS, you're right to tell people to ride the LD trains now. We may not have them as we know them three years from now. And we'll kick ourselves for not riding them.

Amen... I couldn't say it any better OBS. I've been with Amtrak for many years now. It's not going to get ugly, it's already ugly! Mr. Damon, I'm glad you see it. I can't stress enough to everyone to get out there and ride the LD trains before they disappear into the next generation of fallen flag and passenger train history books.

Anyone care to recall how Amtrak fared during the Carter administration?

Floridian eliminated

Nat'l Limited taken over by gangs on Gov't contract via Job Corps, then eliminated.

Silver Comet eliminated

Hiawatha eliminated

All this when gasoline hit $1.00 gallon (my, how we all complained!) and California Amtrak service was taking off gangbusters

With the Clinton admin handing out bucks left and right, how much did Amtrak get?

Sorry, but Democrat or Republican administration, Amtrak hasn't fared too well.

Clinton had Newt to deal with and those GOPers running the show.

But at least I know who to blame for the disappearance of the Floridian!

Taken from saveamtrak.org letter from Rep Menedez NY, get the word out to your senators and reps what Bush's board is now trying to do and how this will destroy Amtrak.

"October 13, 2005

Mr. David M. Laney, Esq.

Chairman

Amtrak Board of Directors

60 Massachusetts Ave., NE

Washington, DC 20002

Dear Chairman Laney,

I was astonished to read reports today that the Amtrak Board of Directors has secretly approved a resolution to begin the

breakup of Amtrak. This resolution was apparently passed with no notice to the public that a vote would be held and no

announcement of its outcome. You owe the public an explanation of both the consequences of your actions and your reasons

for hiding them.

Creating a subsidiary to own the Northeast Corridor infrastructure would be a major change in the way Amtrak operates, and

the impacts on the states and commuters that depend on the Northeast Corridor could be severe. In New Jersey alone, nearly

100,000 commuters rely on the Corridor to get to work, and any change in its ownership or operation could drastically affect

the amount of time they can spend at home with their families. In addition, the financial impact to New Jersey and other states

could be immense. It is my understanding, however, that the states and commuter railroad authorities such as New Jersey

Transit were not consulted before this resolution was passed. This is an unacceptable abrogation of Amtrak’s responsibility to

work in partnership with the transit agencies at the very time you are publicly stating your intentions to increase cooperation

with state agencies.

Most perplexing is the total about-face the Board has made in the past six months. In your April 2005 “Strategic Reform

Initiatives” report, you state on page 13, “We have concluded that separation of NEC assets from NEC operations is not

advisable at this time.” What has happened since April to change your conclusions? In the absence of any public explanation, I

can only conclude that you have caved to the Bush administration’s longstanding goal of privatizing Amtrak.

The administration was unable to get its privitization plans through Congress, which overwhelmingly voted earlier this year to

increase Amtrak funding and protect long-distance train routes. It appears that, in the absence of public support, the

administration is now trying to use its hand-picked Board to take steps that have never been approved by nor explained to

Congress. Your decision to hold the vote in secret and shield the outcome from public scrutiny only reinforces the conclusion

that this administration has no commitment to rail service in this country or to the riders that depend on it.

Unless you provide an immediate public explanation of this vote, I will ask the House Railroads subcommittee to hold hearings

into your actions, and on my legislation which would reverse them, when Congress reconvenes next week.

Sincerely,

Robert Menendez"

Link to letter

http://menendez.house.gov/index.cfm?Conten...nk=b&ItemID=747

Yerry said:
Nat'l Limited taken over by gangs on Gov't contract via Job Corps, then eliminated.
With the Clinton admin handing out bucks left and right, how much did Amtrak get?

Sorry, but Democrat or Republican administration, Amtrak hasn't fared too well.
Can someone elaborate on this statement about the National Limited? Curious to know.

Also, Gunn has said on more than one occasion the Clinton administration was most friendly to Amtrak but their favorable opinion of Amtrak didn't produce favorable financial results. Bush 2 administration has been openly hostile to Amtrak but has produced more money than Clinton administraiton. Clinton had a Democratic controlled congress part of the time (wasn't that long ago but do know that Democrats controlled at least one house of congress if not both at beginning of first Clinton administration), Republican the rest. Bush has had Republican controlled congress whole time (well, Senate was split down the middle for a while). Might help understanding that pro/anti Amtrak positions do not line up cleanly with democratic/republican party.

National Limited said:
... Might help understanding that pro/anti Amtrak positions do not line up cleanly with democratic/republican party.
Wow. Don't tell most of the posters here that bit of info. It does not jive up with their preconceived notions of right and wrong, good and bad.

Ronald Reagan wanted to zero Amtrak. By most measures, Amtrak's best years were under Reagan. Bush wants to zero Amtrak. Amtrak has gotten more direct annual subsidy during the Bush years than any under other President.

Amtrak has only operated under two Democrat Presidents: Carter and Clinton. Neither provided a windfall for Amtrak. So the Blue and Red demarcation line between good and bad seems just a bit blurry to me. But it is certainly easier to simply label Blue good and Red bad. Thinking and reasoning take way too much effort.

Back