Amtrak's FY 2022-2027 Service and Asset Line Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another big change:

The next major enhancement on Amtrak. com and the Amtrak app, slated for release in 2022, expands on the existing search result experience by presenting a seven-day calendar of available fares: those of the requested date as well as the lowest fare up to three days prior and three days forward. In addition to offering customers more— and potentially lower—fare options with a single search, this solution will provide a better path for long distance customers to find available travel dates on trains operating less than daily.

Assuming this happens on schedule, this will be wonderful to have as an option - lots of airlines already offer this and it's nice to be able to adjust to a cheaper day if my plans are a bit flexible.
It'll be catching up with Greyhound, which has been providing the 3+1+3 fare display for a couple of years now.

If Amtrak is considering eliminating baggage cars, they are going to have to add baggage storage spaces to coaches and Viewliner sleepers similar to what the Superliners have. May require eliminating a roomette in the VL to fit the storage space.
Have you ever looked at the inside of a baggage car on a long-distance train? Every time I have, it's usually pretty empty. I think that the vast majority of passengers carry on all their luggage. After all, the carry-on limit is much more generous than the airlines, and it's not really that strictly enforced, anyway, at least with regards to the size of bags. I really don't think they would need to add too much extra space.

Have you ever looked at the inside of a baggage car on a long-distance train? Every time I have, it's usually pretty empty. I think that the vast majority of passengers carry on all their luggage. After all, the carry-on limit is much more generous than the airlines, and it's not really that strictly enforced, anyway, at least with regards to the size of bags. I really don't think they would need to add too much extra space.
But the baggage racks in the passenger cars are often overflowing already, with TA's stuffing overflow baggage into any place they can find some space. And then there's the question of bicycles.

OTOH, if both Amtrak & VIA are looking for equipment at the same time, & both like Siemens (for example), it might extend the delivery time for one or both buyers.

I don't think that's a bad thing. Creating a persistent capacity for building passenger rail cars in North America is a great thing. We are on the road there now with Brightline/Amtrak/Via.

Given that last-mile transportation is often a problem on Amtrak (due to stations that are not located downtown in many cases), I would like to see a nationwide roll-on, roll-off bike option. We've had this in the PNW for 20 years now with the Amtrak Cascades Talgo sets, and it has been a great feature on the route. A small baggage compartment for oversized luggage with 10 or so bike racks should be included on every train. This is a feature that airlines and busses cannot compete with.

I think baggage dorms are more useful than full baggage cars. If the VIs are replaced along with the Superliners they could probably be converted to baggage dorms.
It may not be as easy as you think. The full Baggage Cars appear not to have the cutout on their side for inserting sleeper modules. If one needs to make such a drastic structural change, one might as well start with a new shell of whatever base they decide for the LD single level fleet.

Alternatively of course they could build Roomettes in situ inside the shell, but that would be a very different car from the original Viewliner Bag-Dorms.

It will still involve adding HVAC and Water tanks and plumbing and all that. May be easier to convert them into Bag Coach actually.

Last edited:
I vaguely recall Amtrak one time offering video equipment you could rent to watch movies onboard. Maybe it was only available on the Auto Train?

I vaguely remember too maybe 10-15 years ago when I was on it. The first time I took the Auto Train to move to FL, they had a device you could rent but my Mom said no at the time. They also played movies after dinner (depending on your slot). That's how I saw that movies "Failure to Launch" with Matthew Mcconaughey and "Into the Woods" with Meryl Streep) Maybe they phased it out when I moved back from FL in 2015?

It may not be as easy as you think. The full Baggage Cars appear not to have the cutout on their side for inserting sleeper modules. If one needs to make such a drastic structural change, one might as well start with a new shell of whatever base they decide for the LD single level fleet.

Alternatively of course they could build Roomettes in situ inside the shell, but that would be a very different car from the original Viewliner Bag-Dorms.

It will still involve adding HVAC and Water tanks and plumbing and all that. May be easier to convert them into Bag Coach actually.
I meant converting the VI sleeping cars into bag dorms, not the converting the baggage cars into bag dorms.

I meant converting the VI sleeping cars into bag dorms, not the converting the baggage cars into bag dorms.
That will require changing out the trucks, or at least beefing up the springs on the bag end, like we see in the VII bag dorms. f course it is doable, but by the time that comes to pass, maybe in ten years these cars would be getting a bit long in their teeth.

That will require changing out the trucks, or at least beefing up the springs on the bag end, like we see in the VII bag dorms. f course it is doable, but by the time that comes to pass, maybe in ten years these cars would be getting a bit long in their teeth.
If you assume 200# for a passenger, you could substitute 4 50# bags. So if they ripped out the 3 bedrooms and 2 of the Roomettes, which would be about half the car length, wouldn't they be able to load 40 bags, or 2000#, without modifying the suspension? If the baggage cars are as empty as some say, that might be enough.

If you assume 200# for a passenger, you could substitute 4 50# bags. So if they ripped out the 3 bedrooms and 2 of the Roomettes, which would be about half the car length, wouldn't they be able to load 40 bags, or 2000#, without modifying the suspension? If the baggage cars are as empty as some say, that might be enough.
Of course they could do it without changing anything too, making sure that not too much baggage is loaded so as to remain within weight requirements too. Anything is possible. But to make them equivalent to the current Bag-Sleepers they will need an upgrade of the truck on the Baggage end as they are in the current Bag Dorms.

But the question would still be, why bother with a car already 35-40 years old instead of spending a bit more and just getting new cars?

And of course, if only 10 or 20 bags need to be loaded then just convert the two bedroom into a bag room and be done with it. That works too :D You have to keep the H room around to make the rest of the car saleable. Otherwise best would have been to convert it to a bag room ;)

Last edited:
The cost of conversions is high. Why not use those funds that are now available to buy more cars. Conversions cost money and more importantly take time. IMO let us quit trying to limit rolling stock and expand the whole number of cars and locos. The Gulf coast final decision may change the whole metric. $2B will buy a pot full of more rolling stock.

The Amfleet 2 coaches used to have tv’s spaced every few rows in the luggage rack on either side of the aisle. They were installed and operational until at least the late 90’s, I remember watching You’ve Got Mail on a trip sometime around 98 or 99.

But the baggage racks in the passenger cars are often overflowing already, with TA's stuffing overflow baggage into any place they can find some space. And then there's the question of bicycles.
Getting rid of baggage cars is just another stupid idea. What they need to do is bring back Amtrak Express which was just easy money. The question of oversized items like skis and bicycles is another issue. They ordered, paid for by Amtrak customers and taxpayers, new baggage cars, and they need to use them for more than axle count. This Amtrak management is still over focused on costs rather than building the business, and that’s just stupid.

Getting rid of baggage cars is just another stupid idea. What they need to do is bring back Amtrak Express which was just easy money. The question of oversized items like skis and bicycles is another issue. They ordered, paid for by Amtrak customers and taxpayers, new baggage cars, and they need to use them for more than axle count. This Amtrak management is still over focused on costs rather than building the business, and that’s just stupid.
What about a car that is coach/half baggage? Seems like a way to solve some of the empty baggage car issues.

I bet they are counting on the new generation used to fitting everything in a backpack, they have no need for checked baggage. The airlines have trained travelers with checked baggage fees to pack smarter. Less checked baggage also means less need for station staff. Pretty sure some bean counter has a spreadsheet showing the money saved fuel wise not pulling a baggage car.

Back