Amtrak's Lamb Shanks Recipe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman74

Conductor
An L.A. Times reader enjoyed the lamb shanks entree on the Southwest Chief enough that they wrote to the paper's "Culinary SOS" column for the recipe.

Here it is -- it's actually an adaptation for home use, rather than the exact recipe used by the commissary.

Thanks for the link! Now if I could just find lamb shanks in a store near me! (I've had Amtrak's lamb shanks and they are very good.)

I've never gotten to try out the lamb shanks. I'll try them out next time I get the chance. Are they always available on the SWC?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to try world class railroad food buy the book Dining by Rail. In there are listed many of the old recipes developed by the fine chefs on the railraods of old. We have cooked many dishes to the old recipes and they were all outstanding. Dining on railroads of old must must have been a true culinary experience. Most dining cars employed three to four chefs. Todays food on Amtrak is cooked (or reheated) by a single chef in each dining car. It is passable but much of the culinary art is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to try world class railroad food buy the book Dining by Rail. In there are listed many of the old recipes develpoped by the fine chefs on the railraods of old. We have cooked many dishes to the old recipes and they were all outstanding. Dining on railroads of old must must have been a true culinary experience. Most dining cars employed three to four chefs. Todays food on Amtrak is cooked (or reheated) by a single chef in each dining car. It is passable but much of the culinary art is gone.
dining by rail is a great book. i especially like the french toast recipes presented in head to head competition from different railroads

If you want to try world class railroad food buy the book Dining by Rail. In there are listed many of the old recipedevelopeded by the fine chefs on thrailroadsds of old. We have cooked many dishes to the old recipes and they were all outstanding. Dining on railroads of old must must have been a true culinary experience. Most dining cars employed three to four chefs. Todays food on Amtrak is cooked (or reheated) by a single chef in each dining car. It is passable but much of the culinary art is gone.
dining by rail is a great book. i especially likeFrenchrench toast recipes presented in head to head competition from different railroads
The Santa Fe RR French toast is outstanding. Some great recipes that we tried werPaprikaPaprica, Veal medallionRieslingRisling wine sauce ,and Dutch Meatloaf. Most of the recipes are elaborate and require quite a few ingredients and a bit of preparation but they are outstanding. We will probably never see food served on the rails like this ever againexperienceereince it at our kitchen table. Dining by Rail is my favorite cook book. They must have hired world class chefs back in the day. Its a shame that Amtrak can't do better with the dining car menus but their hands are tied. The extensive kitchen staff is no longer there.

They must have hired world class chefs back in the day. Its a shame that Amtrak can't do better with the dining car menus but their hands are tied. The extensive kitchen staff is no longer there.
Amtrak used to recruit chefs right from culinary schools. Not sure if they still do that, but for many years they did just that. Unfortunately budget cuts, and staffing cuts, have pretty much taken any wind out of their sails. :(

They must have hired world class chefs back in the day. Its a shame that Amtrak can't do better with the dining car menus but their hands are tied. The extensive kitchen staff is no longer there.
Amtrak used to recruit chefs right from culinary schools. Not sure if they still do that, but for many years they did just that. Unfortunately budget cuts, and staffing cuts, have pretty much taken any wind out of their sails. :(
So, about these lamb shanks-Is that a limited train thing? I don't recall ever seeing them, either on the train, or on the menu??

So, about these lamb shanks-Is that a limited train thing? I don't recall ever seeing them, either on the train, or on the menu??
I personally have never had them, but I've seen them on the menus several times and my mom has had them at least once, maybe twice on our trips. She thought that they were great!

On my TE-CL-Cres-SL trip in May, the lamb shanks were offered as the "daily special". I had them aboard the Crescent, and they were very good. Much better than the infamous "chicken fried steak"!

They are sooo goood, I had them at dinner going and coming home on a recent round trip. I just don't think they would taste quite the same at home. Something about eating in the diner.

If you want to try world class railroad food buy the book Dining by Rail. In there are listed many of the old recipes developed by the fine chefs on the railraods of old. We have cooked many dishes to the old recipes and they were all outstanding. Dining on railroads of old must must have been a true culinary experience. Most dining cars employed three to four chefs. Todays food on Amtrak is cooked (or reheated) by a single chef in each dining car. It is passable but much of the culinary art is gone.
How much does that book cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back