Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I've been a member on this forum, here is a list of things that we've generally complained about on here regarding sleeper amenities.

• Lounge lizards are a problem sleeper passengers need a lounge of their own
  • The wine and cheese have been cut
  • The juices are getting cut
  • The amenity kits on the CS have been cut
  • The dining car is being cut
  • Parlor Car

Well Amtrak is giving back in one form or another at the cost of the dining car:

• Sleeping car lounge. Exclusively for sleeping car passengers (The dining car)
  • Wine, Beer or cocktail (Expanded minus the cheese)
  • Unlimited soft drinks (An improvement vs just juice IMOP)
  • Return of amenity kits

Well since I've been a member on this forum, here is a list of things that we've generally complained about on here regarding sleeper amenities.

• Parlor Car

Well Amtrak is giving back in one form or another at the cost of the dining car:

• Return of amenity kits

Way to look at the bright side Seat38a. Some people will never be satisfied!
default_mosking.gif

Besides, you still technically have a dining car! However, the stoves are turned off! This should also put an end to the "food is just reheated and isn't freshly cooked" debate. It isn't even going to be reheated anymore!!
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:

• Parlor Car

• Return of amenity kits

Way to look at the bright side Seat38a. Some people will never be satisfied!
default_mosking.gif

Besides, you still technically have a dining car! However, the stoves are turned off! This should also put an end to the "food is just reheated and isn't freshly cooked" debate. It isn't even going to be reheated anymore!!
default_tongue.png
And I should add that if this is expanded to the North-South trains, the return of the Parlor Car in a way
default_wink.png

Using the Dining Car as a Sleeping Car Lounge as a "Lounge"? How much of a comfortable "lounge" have you found sitting in a Dining Car seating "booth"?

This seating arrangement is surely not what i have experienced when trains had a dedicated Lounge Car. Even when PRR had a combo Section-Lounge Car on their overnight Columbus-Chicago Ohioan or Buckeye (if my memory is correct in what those trains were called).

The CCC can easily be the Lounge Car for Sleeping Car passengers on the CL, CONO, and TE. The new VII diners will be converted to Lounges for the Sleeping Cars. This leaves the LD trains in the West which have much longer runs and will be more challenging and definitely the last to be converted.

Using the Dining Car as a Sleeping Car Lounge as a "Lounge"? How much of a comfortable "lounge" have you found sitting in a Dining Car seating "booth"?

This seating arrangement is surely not what i have experienced when trains had a dedicated Lounge Car. Even when PRR had a combo Section-Lounge Car on their overnight Columbus-Chicago Ohioan or Buckeye (if my memory is correct in what those trains were called).
Well about half of the upper level and all of the lower level SSL is diner is booth seating, 1/3 of the Parlour cars were booth seating, and all of the current cafe cars are booth seating.

As for back in the day, all of the historic lounges I've seen are either single chairs facing the center of the car, or table booth seating with the rare exception of single swivel chairs like the PPC had.

I think the SSL is still on the CL, they will just run the Diner as the Sleeper Lounge. On the LSL the VII Diner will be the Sleeper Lounge. The Cafe/Lounge will remain.
Yes. From way back on page 2...

New consists:

29/30 Capital Limited:

Diesels - P42s

Baggage - 61000 series

TransDorm - 39000 series

Sleepers - 32000 series

*Sleeper Lounge

*Sightseer Lounge - 33000 series

Coaches - 31000/34000 series

48/49 Lake Shore Limited:

Diesels - P42s/P32

Baggage(BOS) - 61000 series

Sleeper(BOS) - 62000 series

*Cafe/Business(BOS) - 48100 series

Coaches(BOS) - 25000 series

Coaches - 25000 series

*Sleeper Lounge - 68000 series [New CAF diner operating as a sleeper lounge, something that has been foreshadowed here for some time now]

Sleepers - 62000 series

Baggage - 61000 series

(*) staffed with one Lead Service Attendant(LSA)

"The anticipated cost savings are an annualized $3 million reduction in operating costs on these two routes. Some of which, will be reinvested in the product."

Haven't we all heard some Mumbo-jumbo like this before?

"The anticipated cost savings are an annualized $3 million reduction in operating costs on these two routes. Some of which, will be reinvested in the product."

Haven't we all heard some Mumbo-jumbo like this before?
Indeed we have, and I hate it.

Soooooo, are there any more questions about the chef being removed from the CL?
default_happy.png

That being said, this boils down to a few things. I mentioned it in the past and that is adaptation. People have already adapted, saying it could be worse. Indeed because the Star is getting NOTHING! When Amtrak declares this experiment a success, I'm sure you'll see other trains rolling out the same type of operation, particularly trains that only travel one overnight period.

That being said, I do note one other thing which is extremely subjective. The Star got away with their experiment because they lowered the price of the accommodation. I haven't head anything about them lowering the costs of the sleepers on these trains and that impacts something the is controlled individually:

The perception of "value."

That is something I'm not sure this regime gets. There are plenty of options for Amtrak riders. Is this worth it? What is "the value" for your dollar? A cold meal? I made this statement before and it is worth clarifying:

I can understand them consolidating the 2 meals and even allowing Sleeper pax only one turn; you would have to be a real Chow Hound to take on Breakfast and then 2-3 hours later pile in Lunch, especially with all the great eating options in DC.
This is what annoys me about all of these "experiments." If I'm paying for a sleeper that includes meals, I want the meals. ALL of them. I'll eat until I explode. First I want eggs and then I want a steak for lunch!! I paid for it.

FEEEEEEED ME, SEYMOUR!!!

audrey2.gif
I'm sorry but If I've fallen from bacon/ french toast/scrambled eggs to a cold, continental breakfast and from a steak grilled somewhere near my liking to a cold tenderloin or turkey sandwich, that hardly seems worth the extra costs.

Now, you'll say it beats riding coach but hell, for this I may as well just get on the damn plane. After all, the fees are closing in and the prices may be lower. One thing is certain, the plane will likely be quicker.

If the journey isn't far, I may as well get in my car and roll for it myself.

I almost prefer the Star's set up. At least they're honest and the "value" (or my perception of such) is there.

However, this is a Congressional mandate. It has been one for years. Until it changes, you have someone that is making a go of it instead of waiting it out or ignoring it. If ridership and revenue drops, they can use this to say the food is a loss leader. If ridership and revenue stays the same (or close), the savings may help in the eyes of Congress and it is money that can be turned into other things.

He is actually opening more positions in the company but with more emphasis on other departments.

Time will tell what each person thinks of this. I have the feeling that the initial uproar will end and people will adapt.

Besides, if ridership drops, the equipment will just move to another service. This may be the only support you'll need for your new, mini long distance consist.
default_happy.png

Amtrak 2.0 plods on!
God I can't put into words how much I identify with the sentiment in this comment.

Sleeping car passengers are generally not involuntary riders (i.e. the old Grandmaw taking the Builder to visit her doctor), and they are also people who have money to afford travel upgrades to the tune of up to thousands of dollars.

It seems no one in their right mind will pay through the nose to ride the sleepers on a diner-less train, whose sleeping car equipment is liable to be held together with duct tape, when a number of airlines offer a first class product which runs roughly the same cost as Amtrak sleeper fares on the eastern half of country & has superior service, superior food offerings, and the advantage of the speed of jet travel.

Here's the thing. Hot meals, juice, bottled water, etc. were what made me love take Amtrak long distance. Flying is much, much, faster. A car or bus is much, much cheaper. It was that Amtrak was just much, much nicer. But with all these cuts to service and amenities, it gets difficult to justify the train at all. At a certain point, you might as well take a bus, if that's the level of service you'd be getting anyway.

I bet there are plenty of members on AU that would take reduced rattles over better meals any day of the week.
default_wink.png

If the new meals are anything like the pictures from Portland, Oregon early in this thread, sign me up. Those look like reasonably healthy meals, and you won't have to sit with a bunch of strangers to get one.

Amtrak's spinsters aka the Marketing Department clearly need an award for being able to turn a clear downgrade of service (especially towards coach passengers) into an exciting, "fresh new development. That is an incredible level of spinning that even I haven't obtained yet. And I thought my degree helped me out a lot

Amtrak's spinsters aka the Marketing Department clearly need an award for being able to turn a clear downgrade of service (especially towards coach passengers) into an exciting, "fresh new development. That is an incredible level of spinning that even I haven't obtained yet. And I thought my degree helped me out a lot
How is it a downgrade for coach passengers? Say if the dining cars currently stocks enough food for sleeper passengers + 20-30% extra stock for coach passengers. What is the difference between that and stocking 20 - 30% more boxed meals? As mentioned in an earlier post, its common on trains like the CS where Coach passengers can't be seated during certain meals because the sleeping cars are fully booked.

You and some may think its a downgrade but others have clearly stated that they like it or will hold judgement until they can experience it. Its for sure were loosing something but Amtrak is giving us something else in return including keeping the dining car for exclusive use of sleeper passengers.

The three million is money Amtrak doesn't have to ask for. The Sleepers generate a lot of revenue so Marketing had to find a way that would not sound negative to these riders.

It will probably work. Remember the talk in the "new equipment" thread. They are attempting to appeal to the younger riders, like Millennials. Locomotive hauled trains with sit down meals are a thing of the past. This isn't your grandma's train. We're just a hop skip and a jump to your city with new, fresh food ideas.

He's not thinking towards the "end to end" rider.

It will probably work. Remember the talk in the "new equipment" thread. They are attempting to appeal to the younger riders, like Millennials. Locomotive hauled trains with sit down meals are a thing of the past. This isn't your grandma's train. We're just a hop skip and a jump to your city with new, fresh food ideas.

He's not thinking towards the "end to end" rider.
Oh I agree whole heartedly it works. Honestly it's pretty Ingenious. I'm not a fan of stuff like that but it works. Even though you can't spin removing the student discount to reach that market. Interesting times we live in. Hopefully something will change in the coming weeks on one of many fronts.

I was thinking about it and I forgot to add couple more. I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

• Parlor Car
  • Will SCA bring my meals to my room even if I'm not disabled. My SCA rolled their eyes at me when I asked for my meal in my room.
  • Will I be seated with strangers in the dining car
  • How much do I have to tip in the dining car
  • The coffee isn't all day anymore
  • I can't live with only 2 bottled water my SCA said they can't give me more than 2. My SCA gave me as many as I want.
  • In other countries blah blah blah. ViaRail blah blah blah

• Return of amenity kits
  • Yes your SCA or LSA will bring your meal to you
  • NO you can pick whichever booth you want or eat in your room
  • NOTHING no more servers. Although tipping your LSA or SCA could conceivably get you extra beer/wine/cocktail (NO GUARANTEES)
  • No idea about all day coffee but I don't see why not if they are being generous with the drinks already.
  • Now you get unlimited free soft drinks which I'm assuming includes bottled water
  • We are talking about Amtrak Am = America

Seat38A,

We're having too much fun with this thread and probably hijacking it to boot.

So, let's continue!
default_happy.png

This will help with the age old question/observation: Are Dining Cars Open During Non-Meal Hours?

Well, now it is......for sleeping car passengers! You can hang out all you want in a viewliner diner with great views, while the coach passengers use the Amslits!

Say THANK YOU, Mr. ANDERSON!!!

After thinking about it, when I had the breakfast buffet in the PPC last December, the scrambled eggs were in a plastic bag and put in the chaffing dish. I'm guessing that Amtrak makes their scrambled eggs by cooking the bag of processed eggs in a water bath. With the dining car still in place, I think it would not be impossible for one LSA to prep a batch of scrambled eggs for the the sleeping car passengers. If you look closely, you can tell that its not griddle cooked scrambled eggs.

Or serve hardboiled eggs for protein during breakfast. At many hotels that offer free breakfast, its usually scrambled, hardboiled or none.

Who does the "cooking" on the CONO?

39121703934_fdc1068ac1_z.jpg

Bigger picture here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/39121703934/in/album-72157689661494002/

Just maybe setup something like this one chaffing dish setup for breakfast along with the breads and jams. many of the budget hotels/motels that offer free breakfast I'm pretty sure do not cook but just reheat.

68038651.jpg

The photo above is from a Hampton Inn. Nothing is cooked fresh at a hampton inn... just quickly heated and put out. And they manage to serve an entire hotel breakfast with only 1 person cooking and stocking usually. (That's a 3 or 4 story hotel.... some of the larger hotels in those brands will have an extra staff at the breakfast).

I think alot of options are probably on the table. Remember when "Simplified Dining" happened a few years ago and all the steaks and cooked to order food was taken off the menu? After some time, amtrak realized the 1 chef in the kitchen could still handle a few cooked to order items and steaks came back.

The amtrak eggs in your photo look like fresh scrambled eggs to me. The last time I rode in a single level diner you could see the fresh eggs and hear them being scrambled. I can't say for certain how they are cooked on other trains but you can usually tell powdered eggs from fresh eggs pretty easily. (The powdered eggs at a hampton inn are a great example! ha.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back