Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Sleepers to 2 Sleepers

7 Coaches to 4 Coaches

Placement of the sleeper and baggage car is the least of my issues.

Explains a early post on why people were getting bumped to coach from sleeper.

4 Sleepers to 2 Sleepers

7 Coaches to 4 Coaches

But as you said, they reduced the coaches by pretty much the same percentage as the sleepers, and those often run full on the LSL anyway.

It seems like the LSL consist has changed a lot since it stopped running to NYP. This was filmed yesterday in Ohio, before contemporary service had started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUrf2EwIZY

In order, that's:

• 1 P42
  • 1 Viewliner II Baggage Car
  • 4 Amfleet II Coaches
  • 1 Amfleet I Business/Cafe
  • 1 Amfleet II Diner-Lite
  • 2 Viewliner I Sleepers
Previously, the combined consist was:

• 2 P42s
  • 1 Viewliner Sleeper
  • 7 Amfleet II Coaches
  • 3 Viewliner I Sleepers
4 Sleepers to 2 Sleepers

7 Coaches to 4 Coaches

I'm not sure what consist Cpotisch is imaging, but the typical LSL consist never had 4 sleepers or 7 coaches. I don't even remember it having 4 sleepers on holidays.

The consist was altered by 1 coach, 1 sleeper and 1 baggage car. It lost three cars. Boston can't really accommodate an eleven car train without running into problems. 10 is a stretch.

It seems like the LSL consist has changed a lot since it stopped running to NYP. This was filmed yesterday in Ohio, before contemporary service had started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUrf2EwIZY

In order, that's:

• 1 P42
  • 4 Amfleet II Coaches
  • 2 Viewliner I Sleepers
Previously, the combined consist was:
  • 2 P42s
  • 1 Viewliner Sleeper
  • 7 Amfleet II Coaches
  • 3 Viewliner I Sleepers
I'm not sure what consist Cpotisch is imaging, but the typical LSL consist never had 4 sleepers or 7 coaches. I don't even remember it having 4 sleepers on holidays.
The consist was altered by 1 coach, 1 sleeper and 1 baggage car. It lost three cars. Boston can't really accommodate an eleven car train without running into problems. 10 is a stretch.
Sorry, I meant three sleepers total (typo). However the combined train runs with 6 or 7 coaches pretty frequently. I guess it depends on the season, but here are just a couple examples of the LSL running with 7 coaches:

Sorry, I meant three sleepers total (typo). However the combined train runs with 6 or 7 coaches pretty frequently. I guess it depends on the season, but here are just a couple examples of the LSL running with 7 coaches:
No, they do not frequently operate with 6 or 7 coaches. These two videos you posted were published close to Thanksgiving, Amtrak's busiest travel period. So, it isn't surprising that extra equipment is assigned to the train. That is typical.

You may also see extra equipment tacked on to the train because it is being ferried to another terminal for use. Someone recently posted the Silver Meteor had the 8400 and six coaches in the consist. 2 of those coaches were being ferried to HIA.

Today 2 June 2018 upstate NY (1 June departure Chicago) Train 448 has a Viewliner dinning car.

1 Engine #10

1 Bagged

4 Coaches

1 Cafe Car (Should be 50% table, 50% B-Class)

1 Viewliner Dinning Car

2 Viewliner Sleepers.

Running late about one hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just left Boston on the Lake Shore, and the cafe car attendant announced that there is some new items on the cafe car menu. I didn’t catch everything, but I caught that there’s some new sandwiches. So at least the cafe car menu got updated, might head back there later on to see what else is new.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just left Boston on the Lake Shore, and the cafe car attendant announced that there is some new items on the cafe car menu. I didn’t catch everything, but I caught that there’s some new sandwiches. So at least the cafe car menu got updated, might head back there later on to see what else.
Glad to hear that they may have updated the offerings. I second other members' sentiments that sleeper passengers should at least be offered a complimentary "entree" from the cafe car if they don't like the selection in the Sleeper Lounge, but even if they don't do that, I'm happy that coach passengers are getting a bit of a break.

Small request: could you possibly check to see which physical Viewliner II they're using as the Sleeper Lounge on your train? There's a plate on the back wall of the car that will say the year built and car number.

For all I know, Mr. Anderson may be a very nice man who rescues stray animals and lets people with just a couple of items go ahead of him in the grocery line.

But he is just not a good fit for Amtrak. To be fair, he may not have realized this when he took the job.

I'm sure he is not used to passengers who speak up.

<snip>
You obviously do not follow the airline or flyer talk sites or you would have never made that statement about passengers not speaking up.

The amount of vitriol is pretty well matched by what is written here.

So is the occasional bout of nostalgia for times when passengers wore suits and were fed with dinners carved from carts in the aisles and the unwashed rode trains or busses.

But because the airlines, with the exception of United (whose indifference to passengers is unmatched except maybe by Aeroflot), have been through this cycle long ago and adjusted to new realities the whining is without all the bitter railfan tears that, if served with fava beans, would be a perfect complement for the b**ching and moaning that went on when Boardman was running Amtrak.

Now that particular target has merely been replaced with a new villain.

For all I know, Mr. Anderson may be a very nice man who rescues stray animals and lets people with just a couple of items go ahead of him in the grocery line.

But he is just not a good fit for Amtrak. To be fair, he may not have realized this when he took the job.

<snip>
You obviously do not follow the airline or flyer talk sites or you would have never made that statement about passengers not speaking up.

So is the occasional bout of nostalgia for times when passengers wore suits and were fed with dinners carved from carts in the aisles and the unwashed rode trains or busses.

But because the airlines, with the exception of United (whose indifference to passengers is unmatched except maybe by Aeroflot), have been through this cycle long ago and adjusted to new realities the whining is without all the bitter railfan tears that, if served with fava beans, would be a perfect complement for the b**ching and moaning that went on when Boardman was running Amtrak.

Wait a minute....who's complaining about anything here?
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png

I just left Boston on the Lake Shore, and the cafe car attendant announced that there is some new items on the cafe car menu. I didn’t catch everything, but I caught that there’s some new sandwiches. So at least the cafe car menu got updated, might head back there later on to see what else.
Glad to hear that they may have updated the offerings. I second other members' sentiments that sleeper passengers should at least be offered a complimentary "entree" from the cafe car if they don't like the selection in the Sleeper Lounge, but even if they don't do that, I'm happy that coach passengers are getting a bit of a break.
Small request: could you possibly check to see which physical Viewliner II they're using as the Sleeper Lounge on your train? There's a plate on the back wall of the car that will say the year built and car number.
I wasn’t able to see the car name/number as I would of had to of gone through business class. At the next “fresh air stop” I’ll walk back on the platform to find out the car name.

I wasn’t able to see the car name/number as I would of had to of gone through business class. At the next “fresh air stop” I’ll walk back on the platform to find out the car name.
Thank you! Just one of those things that I'm just wondering about without any logical reason.
default_happy.png

I am getting on sometime after midnight, Im sitting in Depew station now. No controversy on our agenda, too bad, I don't think I would have minded a few more hours at the meeting and dinner out with the rest of the board.

Have you ever actually eaten prison chow? How about a county jail kitchen tray? If yes by all meals spill the beans, but if not can you please stop with this overreaching message diluting nonsense? Jail and prison food is horrible and if you'd ever actually had any you'd stop talking about it in a positive light.

That's right the prisoners are eating hot food that's better than what Amtrak passengers that pay big bucks get.

Check it out: https://www.bop.gov/foia/national_menu_lun_en.pdf
Really? Are you kidding? I think I can say that you'd probably take a cold continental breakfast or a chicken salad over some hot gruel in a prison cafeteria. If that's not the case, why don't you go rob a convenience store and you can enjoy three to six months of fine dining.
default_smile.png
While it may be a stretch, I would ask if any of the posters above or those who liked their posts have eaten prison food. Even if the answer is yes, the intent of the post is clear. If you look at the actual menu, prisoners have multiple choices for meals that tend to not repeat themselves for lunch and dinner. Indeed, a cursory skim indicates only one main course item repeats itself within the first 2 weeks (28 servings. )

While I don't want to go to prison and find out about the quality of the food, I do ask: Can someone who may ride the LSL from BOS-CHI and then take the CAP from CHI-WAS/BOS say the same thing...after spending 1000's of dollars? It seems like you'll get the same breakfast daily and there are only three choices with your fare. If you're on the train longer, too bad!

Our tax dollars subsidize both!

Thank you! Just one of those things that I'm just wondering about without any logical reason.
default_happy.png

I don't know which one you're on, but instead of you running around trying to find the name of a car that may not even be on the platform, 448(2) has the 68019 and 449(2) has the 68021.

Happy Cpotisch?

While it may be a stretch, I would ask if any of the posters above or those who liked their posts have eaten prison food. Even if the answer is yes, the intent of the post is clear. If you look at the actual menu, prisoners have multiple choices for meals that tend to not repeat themselves for lunch and dinner. Indeed, a cursory skim indicates only one main course item repeats itself within the first 2 weeks (28 servings. )
While I agree that people in prison seem to have more variety, there's a lot more to food than just what is listed on the menu. The quality of ingredients, preparation, etc. are really what matters.

Happy Cpotisch?
Pretty happy.

I just left Boston on the Lake Shore, and the cafe car attendant announced that there is some new items on the cafe car menu. I didn’t catch everything, but I caught that there’s some new sandwiches. So at least the cafe car menu got updated, might head back there later on to see what else is new.
Train Freak I guess I saw your train heading through Springfield Station. I went to see the new consist and got video of it entering the station. Here's the video

https://player.vimeo.com/video/273128489?app_id=122963

While I agree that people in prison seem to have more variety, there's a lot more to food than just what is listed on the menu. The quality of ingredients, preparation, etc. are really what matters.

How much prep goes into a yogurt? It could be the best turkey in the world, but it is still a cold turkey sandwich....delivered in a cardboard box to your child. The vegetables on the Vegan Wrap could have just been harvested and delivered right from the farm as the train passes ALB and is wrapped right in front of you.

That's stuff you could bring for yourself....and save a 1000 dollars. If we're paying for the room, charge for the room like you did on the Star. If you're charging for the food, then make it something of VALUE....not something that I could have brought from the convenience store or the cafe car and stored it in a cooler underneath my seat.

I'm not at all defending the new selection on the LSL and CL. I'm just saying that I'm not going to base it all on appearances. I would trust Amtrak to provide better meals to sleeper passengers than what prisons offer their inmates. Just given what I've heard about what people are served in America's prisons, even if the selection appears to be more varied than on Amtrak, I'm going to assume that contemporary dining is better than prison dining.

<snip>

I don't think that one can compare an airline flight of a few hours to several days on board a train. If I had to eat the awful sandwich we had on the City Of New Orleans two weeks ago I wouldn't go. It was that bad. Three days of never!

default_happy.png
I don't know which one you're on, but instead of you running around trying to find the name of a car that may not even be on the platform, 448(2) has the 68019 and 449(2) has the 68021.

Happy Cpotisch?
Thank you Third Rail, for posting the car numbers, I had a mental note to check the Viewliner diner/sleeper lounge but I forgot to do so.

Train Freak I guess I saw your train heading through Springfield Station. I went to see the new consist and got video of it entering the station. Here's the video https://vimeo.com/273128489
Yep that’s the train I’m on. Thank you Lordsigma for sharing the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back