Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess you were on 449(2), meaning 68021 'Raleigh' was on your train. Meaning this run must be the first time it ever entered service!

So I guess you were on 449(2), meaning 68021 'Raleigh' was on your train. Meaning this run must be the first time it ever entered service!
IMG_7739.jpgIMG_7750.jpg
I’m on 449(2) at Albany. I checked the “sleeper lounge” and it’s “Nashville”.

Last edited by a moderator:
attachicon.gif
IMG_7739.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_7750.jpg
Thank you! So Thirdrail, I guess Raleigh wasn't on 449(2).

attachicon.gif
IMG_7739.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_7750.jpg
Looking through the window of 68019, it seems like there aren't any tablecloths inside. Of course! Why even bother trying to make the experience decent?

attachicon.gif
IMG_7739.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_7750.jpg
Looking through the window of 68019, it seems like there aren't any tablecloths inside. Of course! Why even bother trying to make the experience decent?
And look at that big new expensive kitchen now going to waste!

I have said this before but I still think to put the kitchens to use on the LSL I think they should scrap the cafe car prep area and instead put an employee in the ViewDiner kitchen and prepare the "café" meals there for both sleeper and coach passengers, and just make the cafe area all lounge seating for coach. Could put in some sort of ordering counter in the viewdiner. The better equipped viewdiner kitchen would improve the café options and could allow for a hot complementary option to be added to the sleeper car passengers.

I honestly hoped for at least something bigger, if not more appetizing looking. At least make it presentable.
Sigh.
It's worse than I thought. Hey Ryan, love you to pieces but now that I've seen it, is it ok to officially complain? I was going to do it anyway but you commented that we haven't even seen it.

At any rate, this is the only thing to do

default_ph34r.png
(the link is clean and cued up. Watch from 17:39 to -18:41
default_hi.gif
).

Here is the photo for those who don't wish to be part of Facebook's next brainwashing data breach.

AmtrakContemporaryColdMeal.jpg

It doesn't look horrible but it also doesn't look very filling. Looks similar to some of the purchasable airline snack packs I've seen over the years.

BOYCOTT, MY PRETTIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!! BE FREEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is another one floating around on Facebook

attachicon.gif
food.j
Well, glad I rode Amtrak when I did. Not riding ever again as long as this keeps up! Such a travesty of misapplication of managerial accounting. Legacy retirement costs amortized over meals to kill the service, and sleeper service killed off eventually as noone in their right mind will subject themselves to this insulting severe deprecation of service, all wrapped in politically correct, PR/HR-speak lies. SHAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way of saying that without seeing what the meals are like. Unlimited soda and (limited) free booze are an upgrade.
Soda and free booze are not an upgrade to those of us who don't drink soda or liquor. I want my eggs! (Although, to be fair, Amtrak's eggs don't compare with a real breakfast cooked in a real breakfast restaurant or--you knew this was coming--a south Jersey diner!
default_tongue.png
.)
Yes but the free booze should keep you feeling nice and warm until your destination
default_wink.png
Not sure that a single nightcap will keep me warm all the way to my destination.
default_ph34r.png
I firmly exercise my privilege as a sleeping car passenger and stop at BevMo before boarding
default_tongue.png
What is BevMo?
Its a west coast thing. They specialize in wine/beer/alcohol. Think Liquor Store but big bright and the size of a supermarket.
Oh, kind of like Total Wine and Spirits

Here is the photo for those who don't wish to be part of Facebook's next brainwashing data breach.

attachicon.gif
AmtrakContemporaryColdMeal.jpg

It doesn't look horrible but it also doesn't look very filling. Looks similar to some of the purchasable airline snack packs I've seen over the years.
What meal was that for?
That looks like the Antipasto Plate.
Isn’t antipasto usually an appetizer? The other one posted above doesn’t look too bad to me. Looks like a lot of meat - for me at least.

For those of us who prefer hot meals, there is no cold meal that is going to look appetizing. Realistically, it looks like a cold pre-packaged meal that is done relatively well, at least the antipasto plate.

From what I’ve seen of the demographic in the Amtrak sleepers, however - I doubt it will be well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back