Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I rode the CL before the change, lunch was not offered. We were about 30 minutes late ariving DC too.

I do not know how that works with the new menu.

When I rode the CL before the change, lunch was not offered. We were about 30 minutes late ariving DC too.

Yeah, the CL is one of those "subjective meal service" trains. I think you're technically supposed to get the abbreviated lunch on #30, but certain crews seem to think it's not worth it.
default_wacko.png

Over the years I've been on the Capitol when they served lunch, served express lunch, served "brunch" (breakfast options as well as burger and veggie burger available until Harpers Ferry, eat one meal if you wake up late, eat 2 if you wake up early), served "brunch" that was just breakfast options but same rules applied (eat twice if you want to), and seen the diner close after normal breakfast hours.

Amtrak says contemporary dining will save $4 mil on F&B annually.
$3.4M. While it's not as simple as to just stop fraud, waste, and theft, I agree that they should target the issues that keep F&B from turning a profit, rather than F&B itself.

Here is a question about the new food service on the Capitol Limited.

The last time I rode (about a year ago), the lower level of the SSL was closed off and all passengers (coach and sleeper) purchased cafe food in the cafe upper level of a Cross Country Cafe (CCC) car. The other half of this car served as the diner (CCC's are ex-diners). I hears this was done to eliminate having to staff the lower level of the SSL with an LSA. Now with the CCC acting as the "first class diner/lounge" and only being staffed with one attendant, and only to be used by sleeper passengers, will Amtrak reopen the lower level of the SSL and use that as the cafe for the whole train? There seems to be more room in the lower level cafe service level and more food options available for purchase.

In my opinion this would be a smart move and allow coach (and sleeper passengers) more variety in what they can purchase from the cafe.

Here is a question about the new food service on the Capitol Limited.

The last time I rode (about a year ago), the lower level of the SSL was closed off and all passengers (coach and sleeper) purchased cafe food in the cafe upper level of a Cross Country Cafe (CCC) car. The other half of this car served as the diner (CCC's are ex-diners). I hears this was done to eliminate having to staff the lower level of the SSL with an LSA. Now with the CCC acting as the "first class diner/lounge" and only being staffed with one attendant, and only to be used by sleeper passengers, will Amtrak reopen the lower level of the SSL and use that as the cafe for the whole train? There seems to be more room in the lower level cafe service level and more food options available for purchase.

In my opinion this would be a smart move and allow coach (and sleeper passengers) more variety in what they can purchase from the cafe.
There has been talk about this before on this thread. I feel like they should have the entire CCC exclusive to sleeper passengers, since that would make it a more private experience for sleeper passengers, and maybe they could serve the drinks out of the cafe end (make it a sort of bar area). However since the whole point of this change was to cut back on staff, I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to keep the snack service the way it is, even if it means overworking the LSA even more and making the experience worse for sleeper pax.

Amtrak says contemporary dining will save $4 mil on F&B annually.
$3.4M. While it's not as simple as to just stop fraud, waste, and theft, I agree that they should target the issues that keep F&B from turning a profit, rather than F&B itself.
I suspect you both mean like offering contemporary operating procedures and inventory controls (ie going cashless for all services and implementing point-of-service terminals for the café and diner). Yeah, Im all for that!

I know I may have to wait a few days until more people have a chance to write reviews and post pictures, but does anyone know if you are offered a complimentary drink for lunch as well as dinner?

If one elects to take the alcoholic drink, would they still be entitled to unlimited soft beverages as well?

I'll be curious to know how they handle the unlimited soft beverages without overwhelming the SCA. Will the beverages be available in the lounge just for the taking? I know it's unrealistic that they will be able to have the refrigeration space to ensure beverages are chilled, but will they at least be more liberal with making ice available to passengers that request it?

I enjoy wine, but am also glad to see that bottled water and La Croix will also be available.

It's advertised as unlimited soft drinks throughout the trip and your "first" alcahol drink is free. Meaning you don't have to have it with a meal.

Now how this is handled from crew to crew remains anyone's guess. On some trains the SCA will make you go to the LSA. Others the LSA will make you ask your SCA, and still others may claim "unlimited" only means 2 per Journey.

Creates a tough situation for those of us (like me) where one of the reasons we ride Amtrak is because we despise or have a fear of flying and don’t want to drive the distance.
I'll still ride Amtrak even on those long distance routes that have downgraded food service, but just won't bother upgrading to a sleeper on those trains like I would've done in the past. For me(and unfortunately), there are a bunch of Amtrak lines I'd like to ride at least once, including ones(sigh) with downgraded food service. I just hope they don't downgrade more Amtrak long distance routes, with downgraded food service. Am very scared that might happen one day, but hope my fear is proven wrong.

Well March was my last ride on the Capitol limited. And the lsl was some time ago. I will fly to east coast and then ride the silver meteor if I want to railfan on the east coast.

Glad I live in Chicago. I'll stick to the west coast with good food service.
For the time being, until things are “improved” out west too? [emoji57]

Well March was my last ride on the Capitol limited. And the lsl was some time ago. I will fly to east coast and then ride the silver meteor if I want to railfan on the east coast.

Glad I live in Chicago. I'll stick to the west coast with good food service.
For the time being, until things are “improved” out west too? [emoji57]
Well maybe I will start on being like you and getting a million miles on united as I explore other parts of the world.

I am holding off scheduling on the CL or the LSL until the dust settles on this new Contemporary Dining. Hopefully the meals improve along with the service. I have reason's to travel to WAS and ORL but have let people know I will come, but it will be late this year or early next.

Car has coffee, cranberry juice, and extra water bottles out at coffee station.
On my last trip on the Meteor, they stopped the cranberry juice and only had an orange juice box like you get at the dollar store. A few years ago they had both.
Almost every time I've taken the Meteor, there's been cranberry, apple, and orange juice throughout the whole trip. Same thing when I was on the LSL in February.

New CAF diners Nashville, Providence and Harrisburg have been sighted on the LAKE SHORE LIMITED. All the Media Relations spokesman would tell me is that "these cars are supporting modernized service on the Lake Shore Limited." I will look forward to hearing from someone who has ridden the train as to what that means and how the new cars are being used.

Andy

New CAF diners Nashville, Providence and Harrisburg have been sighted on the LAKE SHORE LIMITED. All the Media Relations spokesman would tell me is that "these cars are supporting modernized service on the Lake Shore Limited." I will look forward to hearing from someone who has ridden the train as to what that means and how the new cars are being used.

Andy
They are operating as the Sleeper Lounges. The Media Relations spokesman was just using stupid marketing terms to make "Fresh Choices" sound like an improvement.

Was the food kept in the dining car kitchen as best as you can tell, or somewhere else on the train?

Partially, you were not seated as in the past, you just sat here you wanted. On a crowded train or meal period, I could see that changing. Also, since there are limited options at breakfast, the LSA just brings you a breakfast box. I guess you could say regular or decaf/ tea or juice are options, but I think folks get the message.

If I am understanding correctly the "diner" on the LAKE SHORE is lounge for just first class passengers, and coach passengers have no entry?

Andy

Food was kept in the kitchen. At this point it was sleeper passengers only, I was only on for breakfast, I can not speak to the other meal periods. At this point in time I don't think they have a system in place to sell unused packages to coach or BC passengers. That has been speculated upon, but I've tried to keep my posts on this subject to what I have actually experienced or observed.Since sleeper passengers often walk to the cafe car, nobody paid much attention to the far door, if a non sleeper passenger walked in and was not bothering anybody, and it wasn't crowded, nobody would notice. It isn't like it used to be where the DC crew was setting up the tables for the next meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back