Amtrak's Performance During Monday's Snow Storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Here's a rundown on Amtrak's performance during the brunt of the Nor’easter on Monday.

Note: I used Amtrak's train status on the website to compile these numbers. They do include the Twilight Shoreliner (66/67) and the Carolinian (79/80) because they will carry passenger between NYP and WAS. All other long distance trains, running or not were not included in this survey, as I was mainly trying to gauge performance on the NE Corridor.

Out of 58 scheduled trains:

Amtrak reported 10 trains with no status, most likely cancelled.

2 - Arrived less than 30 minutes late.

5 - Arrived more than 30 minutes late, but less than 60.

23 - Arrived more than 1 hour late, but less than 2 hours.

18 - Arrived more than 2 hours late.

Northbound Trains:

6 - Cancelled

1 - Less than 30

4 - 30 to 60

7 - 60 to 120

11 - Over two hours.

Southbound Trains:

4 - Cancelled

1 - Less than 30

1 - 30 to 60

16 - 60 to 120

7 - Over two hours.

Now to answer the question from another post,

Acela Performance:

No cancellations. (Yea!) :)

1 - 30 to 60 late

11 - 60 to 120

3 - over two hours late.

This would indicate that the Acela's really didn't do too bad in the snow, as they certainly held their own in comparison to the conventional equipment. It should also be noted that even the three Acela's over 2 hours late, were still under three hours late. Two of the over two hours, were from DC to NYP. The other was southbound out of Boston.

Whereas some of the conventional equipment in the over 2 hours late category, were actually over 5 hours late.

Overall I'd have to say that Amtrak did a pretty impressive job on the NEC. Out of 58 scheduled trains, they only cancelled 10 and that was more likely due to low ridership than the actual conditions. Southbound trains did slightly better than northbound trains in on time performance. Average delay seems to be around 1 hour 45 minutes or so.

While you may hate to see a late train, that's still preferable to no train. Or in the case of the airlines, no plane. Which is what most of the airports have been providing, nothing! Better to be in a comfy seat on a warm train that's two hours late, than sitting on a hard plastic seat or worse in the airport.

Wow, thanks for compiling the performance, I agree, the rails did do well in comparison to all of the other modes. I will print your post out, as I'm keeping a file on how this storm affected operations.

I'm in a hotel in the Chicago area this week, and had the TV on at 03:30 this morning (04:30 Eastern Time) to hear the CNN guy talking about all the closed airports (or was it on CNN Headline News?) say that "Amtrak seems to be running fine."

We just have to make sure all this snow doesn't melt at once causing massive flooding as was the case from the Blizzard of '96.

This one still goes into the record books for sure! B)

Amtrak Watcher said:
I'm in a hotel in the Chicago area this week, and had the TV on at 03:30 this morning (04:30 Eastern Time) to hear the CNN guy talking about all the closed airports (or was it on CNN Headline News?) say that "Amtrak seems to be running fine."
AMEN. Hope some politicians were watching. Bush, Mineta...did you guys see that?

I wish the media (both newspapers and TV) would give us this information--keep us comprised whether or not Amtrak trains(whch ones) are running (or not) like they do with the airlines and highways. Of course, they don't give out much information on Greyhound on how well its buses are running in these conditions.

Steve Relei said:
I wish the media (both newspapers and TV) would give us this information--keep us comprised whether or not Amtrak trains(whch ones) are running (or not) like they do with the airlines and highways. Of course, they don't give out much information on Greyhound on how well its buses are running in these conditions.
Generally, the media seems to focus on what is going wrong, not what is right. In general, they also only provide general info. about airline operations to the affect that a certain number of flights have been canceled, or that an airport in closed.

I was watching NBC Nightly News Monday night about the snow and all the delays etc. It said that Amtrak had cancelled some trains, mostly Long Distance trains to Florida (which is true). Immediately after that was an interview with a woman at LGA and she said "It's cancellation after cancellation after cancellation. They did not say that she was at LGA, but I knew because I could see Shea Stadium off in the distance. Thanks NBC for making Amtrak look bad! :D (NOT!)

That kind of reminds of an article in "Boston" magazine from November 2000. The cover story was how Amtrak's Acela service was not living up to expectations and how passengers were tired of the numerous rail delays. Next to that they have a photo of passengers gathering around the Penn Station departure board, which showed all trains on time except one that was 10 minutes late. :blink:

I have a quote form an Amtrak Conductor regarding Florida performance over his tour of duty this week.

We were using a few full consists and a few short trains. Short trains were a loco, lounge,

4 coaches , and a bag car.  Tuesday on 91 we had 56 people

total between Jax and Miami. Wednesday on 98 we maxxed out

at 35.  Didn't pick up ANYONE after Winter Haven.

battalion51 said:
I have a quote form an Amtrak Conductor regarding Florida performance over his tour of duty this week.
We were using a few full consists and a few short trains. Short trains were a loco, lounge,

4 coaches , and a bag car.  Tuesday on 91 we had 56 people

total between Jax and Miami. Wednesday on 98 we maxxed out

at 35.  Didn't pick up ANYONE after Winter Haven.
Hmmm...that's too bad. That would have been a nice way for Amtrak to show off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back