Amtrak's Shortest Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately on non-#421/#422 days the Texas Eagle consist on most days includes a P-42,Transdorm,Revenue Sleeper,CCC,Sight Seer Lounge,1 Coach-Bag and 1 Regular Coach which was empty last time I rode to Temple.

It ain't Amtrak, but you might find this story entertaining.

On May 25, 1991, a British Rail High Speed Train (HST) was operating the 11:30 from Newquay to Paddington. It derailed just after the Luxulyan tunnel, a very difficult place for the subsequent rescue.

From http://www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/village/hst.html (with photographs - click the link)...

Rather than attempt to de-train the passengers and all their luggage in this almost inaccessible location, they were all moved through to the rear power car, No 43029. After uncoupling, it returned at walking pace through the tunnel to Luxulyan Station where the passengers alighted and were taken to Par in a fleet of cars.

This movement of power car 43029 on its own was - and still is - the shortest ever High Speed Train formation ever to carry passengers.

On May 25, 1991, a British Rail High Speed Train (HST) was operating the 11:30 from Newquay to Paddington. It derailed just after the Luxulyan tunnel, a very difficult place for the subsequent rescue.

From http://www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/village/hst.html (with photographs - click the link)...

Rather than attempt to de-train the passengers and all their luggage in this almost inaccessible location, they were all moved through to the rear power car, No 43029. After uncoupling, it returned at walking pace through the tunnel to Luxulyan Station where the passengers alighted and were taken to Par in a fleet of cars.

This movement of power car 43029 on its own was - and still is - the shortest ever High Speed Train formation ever to carry passengers.
I'm trying to imagine this in the United States. I'm thinking no one would go for stuffing passengers into a light, noisy power car.

I'm trying to imagine this in the United States. I'm thinking no one would go for stuffing passengers into a light, noisy power car.
Awhile back when the Crescent derailed everything behind the baggage car (back when it was on the head end) in South Carolina between Greenville and Spartanburg they shuttled passengers from the inaccessible area where it happened in a baggage car pulled by two engines.

They majorly got lucky on that derailment too because there were marks on the bridge where the cars had already come off the rails before crossing it.

Back